Most people in Roswell have car insurance. The law requires it. But as many as 12% of vehicles in Georgia are uninsured, meaning that if you’re in an accident on Georgia’s roads, there’s about a 1 in 9 chance that there won’t be any insurance to cover your injuries and vehicle damage.
It’s even more likely that the other driver’s insurance won’t be enough to cover your losses. But you still have a right to recover money to pay for your losses. You need help from a good Roswell uninsured motorist accident lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates, our entire law practice is devoted to helping accident victims recover money from the people responsible for their injuries. We have more than 20 years of experience making claims against uninsured drivers, with a long and successful track record. The other driver made a risky choice, but you shouldn’t have to pay.
We will give you a free consultation to discuss your case and go over your options. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How Much Money Can I Recover from an Uninsured Motorist?
When an accident occurs in Georgia, the driver who caused it is liable for all of the damage that results, including injuries and vehicle repairs. This is because Georgia is a “fault state” for purposes of liability. It doesn’t matter whether the driver at fault had insurance or not, he or she is still responsible for paying for all the damage. In the City of Roswell, we often see costs and damages awarded for:
- Medical expenses
- Prescription medicine
- Physical therapy or any rehabilitative therapy
- The cost of fixing a damaged car or replacing a totaled one
- Lost wages—the pay you missed if you lost time from work because of the accident
If you were seriously injured, you may also receive damages for pain and suffering, disabilities and other severe losses. Judges know that money can never fully compensate you for a serious accident or put you back where you were before the accident ever happened.
But money is the one thing our legal system can offer to help you get the treatment you need and stay on a stable financial footing as you continue your healing process.
Get the strong arm
What Should I Do If I Have an Accident With an Uninsured Driver in Roswell?
First and foremost, make sure you get emergency medical treatment if you need it. If you can, we also recommend some simple actions that will protect your rights and make it easier to prove your claim. Uninsured drivers frequently try to avoid responsibility and may even blame you for what happened. We suggest you take the following steps:
- Always call the police. A typical uninsured driver will try to talk you out of calling the police, but don’t listen. In Georgia, you are required by law to report any accident in which there are injuries or serious property damage. A police report will show that you followed the law, and it will also provide an objective view of how the accident happened.
- Don’t lose your temper. The other driver may get angry and emotional and may accuse you of causing the accident. Just let it roll off you and stay calm and collected. If you get angry or upset, you may say things you’ll regret later—including apologizing or accepting blame for an accident that wasn’t your fault.
- Take photos. Photos you take with your cell phone camera can provide graphic evidence of exactly what happened, and this is far more persuasive than words alone. Take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles, and your injuries.
- Talk to witnesses. Bystanders and people who have stopped to help may have seen the accident as it happened, or they may have witnessed factors—like a speeding driver or road hazards—that contributed to the accident. Get their contact information so you can follow up later.
- Go to the doctor. Even if you think you weren’t really hurt, get checked by a doctor. We’ve seen many people who thought they’d get better on their own, only to have their injuries grow worse because they waited to get treatment. An early diagnosis also helps you make a strong claim.
Finally, consult with a lawyer as soon as you can. Uninsured motorist cases are more complicated than ordinary cases where there’s plenty of insurance to cover all the damage. Most people need legal help to recover any money.
How Can I Get Money If There Isn’t Insurance?
All vehicle owners in Roswell are required to carry minimum levels of insurance. This minimum insurance is:
- At least $25,000 in bodily injury insurance per victim
- At least $50,00 in total bodily injury insurance
- At least $25,000 in property insurance
Some drivers, however, don’t follow the law and choose not to get any insurance at all. Many others buy only the bare minimum, and that’s unfortunately not nearly enough to pay for the costs of a major accident. This means that the local courts frequently must find other ways to compensate victims. Your lawyer might ask the court to award money in other ways:
- Though a claim on the uninsured or underinsured motorist portion of your own insurance
- Though other insurance policies that cover the accident
- By ordering the other driver to pay you directly
- By placing a lien on the other driver’s property which won’t be removed until you are paid
Finding the best approach takes investigation and a knowledge of the way the legal system works. When you see a lawyer right away, you relieve a lot of the stress and uncertainty of an accident with an uninsured motorist. A lawyer will help you get the most money possible, with as few headaches as possible.
Talk to a Roswell Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we want you to be able to get a legal opinion when you need it most. We offer a free consultation to go over your case and help you understand your choices. And we will never charge you anything unless we win money for you. Don’t pay for an uninsured motorist’s poor choices. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.