If you were hurt in a car accident in Augusta, the first thing you should do after seeing the doctor is speak to a lawyer. Even the most minor car accidents can result in injuries that linger for months or years, and serious car crashes can cause injuries that require hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical treatment. You can’t rely on the insurance company to offer a fair amount without a legal professional backing you.
At John Foy & Associates, we make sure your claim is taken seriously. We send our own investigator to document what happened and get the evidence you need for your case. Our goal is to get you the real amount you need—the grand total after all treatments, doctor appointments and missed work time is over. We have over 20 years of experience as Augusta car accident lawyers and a track record that speaks for itself. Call us at 706-400-4000 and get a free case evaluation today.
How can an Augusta car accident lawyer help me?
After a car accident, you may not realize that your own car insurance company—or the other driver’s—is now your adversary. Although these companies are under contract to repay medical bills and damages, they will do anything possible to avoid paying the full amount. They’re eager to get you to say something you shouldn’t, or twist your words around so that they can deny or reduce your claim. And the insurance company has an entire team of lawyers on their side. Getting a lawyer of your own is the only way to level the playing the field.
Lawyers can help your case in many ways:
- When you have legal representation, the insurer must talk to your lawyer, not you. This prevents them from asking misleading questions and using your words against you.
- Your lawyer brings negotiation power to your claim, forcing insurance companies to take you seriously.
- Your lawyer can help you identify costs you may not have realized your claim could cover.
- Your lawyer’s legal team will put together thorough documentation of your accident and medical treatment, so that your case will be presented in the best possible light.
The expenses you face after an auto accident are not pocket change. They may include an emergency room visit, follow up doctor appointments, surgery or intensive care, ambulance costs, physical therapy, medication, car repairs and lost wages. Don’t allow yourself to get stuck with the bill.
Do I have to sue someone to win my case?
No. This is a common misconception about car accident cases. There are two important things you need to know when considering whether to get a lawyer:
- Our negotiations are with an insurance company, not another driver. You won’t be ruining anyone’s day if you ask for the money you’re owed.
- Many auto accident claims are resolved without a lawsuit. Your lawyer will attempt to settle the suit through simple negotiation. In many cases, the insurer will get a resolution with no legal action needed.
In some cases the insurance company will hold out. At that point your lawyer will advise you whether it makes more sense to accept their final offer or to file a lawsuit for the full amount. A good lawyer will explain both options and let you make the final call, without pressure.
How does a car accident lawyer win a claim?
The first thing your lawyer does is notify the insurance company they’re representing you. From this point on all communication goes through the lawyer, not you. If you are ever required to give a statement you will have your lawyer present to advise you.
Then your lawyer will gather evidence. This may include:
- Getting you to a specialist doctor who understands common car accident injuries like neck and back injuries. This kind of doctor can give a better estimate of the treatment needed.
- Assessing your past medical history. Insurance companies may blame you for pain or say it’s not related to the accident. Your lawyer may prove otherwise.
- Investigating the accident itself and reconstructing it so that there is no question what happened.
With this evidence your lawyer can drive a hard bargain. They’ll show the insurance company exactly how strong a case they have and pressure them to pay you what you’re owed without a court hearing. Usually there is no trial needed—it’s rare for a case to go all the way to the courts in Augusta.
How much does a car accident lawyer cost in Augusta?
It costs you nothing up front.
At John Foy & Associates, we don’t ask car accident victims to pay us money out of pocket. You’re already facing stress, pain and financial worry over the costs of your treatment. Our first concern is to get you the care you need and make sure you recover a fair settlement from the insurance company—not billing you.
Instead, we take our fee out of whatever financial recovery we win for you, as a simple percentage. If we don’t win you money, we take nothing. This is how we make it risk-free for you to call us. You will never pay anything unless we get you a financial victory.
How much time do I have to file a claim for my car accident?
Time is short. In Augusta, some circumstances allow up to two years to file a claim—but many don’t. In some cases you may have only weeks to file a claim. Once the statute of limitations has passed, it is too late to file a claim and you forfeit any money you may be owed. The best thing you can do is speak to an experienced car accident attorney right away.
Talk to an Augusta Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
After an accident, your job is to get back to the best health possible. Our job is to help you pay for it. John Foy & Associates is one of the largest and most experienced car accident law firms serving the Augusta area. Call us at 706-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.