For many, a motorcycle means freedom and the lure of the open road. However, in an accident, a motorcyclist can face danger and serious injuries, leading to a considerable financial burden.
A Macon, GA, motorcycle accident attorney from our firm can help you recover damages. For example, our firm has recovered over $1 billion for our clients, and we continue fighting for maximum compensation for each case we handle.
At our personal injury law firm, we prioritize your well-being and financial security. Our legal team works on a contingency fee, so there are no fees unless we win. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents Different Than Car Collisions?
Passenger cars have various safety features, including airbags and seat belts. On a motorcycle, though, it’s just you and the road. But, of course, that’s a big part of the appeal. Still, it’s also one of the reasons motorcyclists are far more likely to suffer serious injuries than people in other vehicles.
In a collision, you are likely to fall and strike the pavement directly or be thrown from your motorcycle. A crash that might be just a fender bender for a car can cause you to suffer severe, ongoing injuries.
Insurance companies also view motorcycle crashes differently. They may try to blame you for the incident or offer you less money than they would offer the driver. Therefore, you should never accept money from an insurance agent or sign anything until you have talked to a personal injury attorney.
to find a John Foy office near you
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
Georgia motorcycle statistics reveal some concerning trends over the past decade. For example, between 2010 and 2019, the total traffic fatalities in Georgia increased by 20%, while the number of motorcyclist fatalities increased by 33%.
In 2019, 170 motorcyclists were fatally injured in traffic crashes in Georgia, a 22% increase from 2017. This suggests that motorcycle safety remains a significant concern in the state and highlights the need for continued efforts to improve motorcycle safety on Georgia roads.
Despite representing just 2% of all registered vehicles in Georgia, motorcycles accounted for 11% of all traffic fatalities in 2019. This disproportionately high number indicates that motorcyclists are at a greater risk of being involved in fatal crashes than other types of vehicles.
Macon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 478-400-4000
Compensation You Can Recover for a Motorcycle Accident in Macon, GA
People injured in motorcycle and auto crashes can recover all the collision costs from the party at fault. Our legal team can help you recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses, including prescription drugs
- Loss of future wages
- The cost of physical therapy and other rehabilitation
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Loss of quality of life
- Property damage
- Loss of past or current income, if you had to miss time from work because of the crash
- Damages for wrongful death, if you lost a loved one in the collision
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages
If your crash is serious, the court may award you additional compensation for a long-term disability or pain and suffering. However, with the help of a skilled motorcycle accident attorney in Macon, GA, you have a better opportunity to receive fair compensation.
While money can’t undo the effects of a tragic collision, it can ease financial stress and free you to focus on rebuilding your life after the motorcycle collision. In addition, our team of personal injury attorneys can review your legal options for recovery and fight for maximum compensation.
Proving Negligence in Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
A motorcycle accident case will require you and your personal injury attorney to pinpoint and establish how the at-fault party’s careless actions or inactions caused your injuries. There are four elements of negligence you must legally prove:
- Duty of care
- Breach of duty
Your motorcycle accident lawyer in Macon, GA, can collect evidence to demonstrate these four elements of negligence. This evidence may include the following:
- Your medical records
- Witness statements
- Photos or videos from the accident scene
- Surveillance or traffic camera footage
- Police reports
- Testimony from hired crash reconstruction experts
Once an investigation into your case is complete, your personal injury lawyer will present the liable parties’ insurance company with evidence during settlement negotiations outside the courtroom. We can bring your case to trial before a judge if they do not make you a fair offer.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Macon, call 478-400-4000
What a Motorcycle Crash Lawyer in Macon Can Do for You
A legal professional can take on your legal responsibilities while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Once you’ve hired a motorcycle accident attorney in Macon, they can begin:
- Thoroughly investigating the collision.
- Determining who is at fault for the accident and if there are multiple liable parties.
- Getting the professional opinions and testimony of expert witnesses.
- Calculating the full scope of your damages, so you get fair compensation.
- Interacting and negotiating with the insurance companies.
- Representing you throughout the legal process.
- Managing the details of your claim, including deadlines to file, legal requirements, and getting your settlement.
Per Ga. Code § 9-3-33, motorcycle accident victims have two years from their collision to file their personal injury claim in the Georgia civil court system. If you miss this deadline, your case may be dismissed.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Most collisions aren’t the motorcyclist’s fault. Usually, these crashes happen because another driver wasn’t paying attention and failed to see the motorcycle. The most common causes of motorcycle accidents include the following:
- Drivers failing to see a motorcycle and cutting it off while turning left: Due to their smaller size, motorcycles are often less visible than other vehicles on the road, especially when a driver is distracted or not paying attention.
- Drivers hitting a motorcycle while changing lanes: Motorcycles are often harder to see in blind spots, and a driver may not notice a motorcycle before they attempt to change lanes.
- Lane splitting: This is when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of stopped or slow-moving traffic.
- Road defects: Potholes, debris, and other hazards on the road can cause motorists to lose control, especially if the rider is not paying attention.
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle while intoxicated impairs a driver’s abilities and increases the risk of collisions.
- Distracted driving: Using a phone or adjusting the radio can cause a motorist to lose focus and may not react promptly enough to avoid an oncoming danger.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is a common factor in many motorcycle accidents; it reduces the motorist’s ability to react to hazards and increases the severity of injuries in the event of a crash.
If you were in an accident, chances are that someone else’s inattentiveness or carelessness caused it. This means they were negligent and must pay the cost of your injuries.
A passionate motorcycle accident lawyer in Macon, GA, will discover what caused your crash and make sure you are not forced to pay for a collision that wasn’t your fault.
What Kinds of Injuries Do People Suffer in Motorcycle Crashes?
The injuries from motorcycle accidents can vary greatly depending on how the crash occurred and how much protective gear the motorcyclist wore. Survivors should always seek medical care immediately to increase their chances of recovery.
Unfortunately, traumatic brain injuries are common among survivors, sometimes even if the rider is wearing a helmet. Other common motorcycle crash injuries include:
- Road rash and other cuts and scrapes
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Sprains and other injuries to muscles and tendons
- Amputation injuries
In any crash, seeing a doctor immediately and getting medical attention is important, even if you “walked away” from the scene and thought you weren’t badly hurt. Many injuries are worse than they seem at first, and the sooner you start treatment, the more likely you are to recover.
Talk to a Macon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Free
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash, you may struggle with catastrophic injuries and massive medical bills; you may even have lost a loved one.
You do not have to bear the collision’s costs, a motorcycle accident lawyer in Macon, GA, is ready to help you. John Foy & Associates has worked for the rights of people injured in motorcycle accidents for over 20 years.
We can help you get the compensation you need to cover your costs. So call us or fill out the contact form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.
Call or text 478-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form