If you’ve suffered a personal injury in Lawrenceville that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to recover money for costs including missed work time, medical bills, and the cost of medication. At John Foy & Associates, we have over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of those who were injured. We are one of the largest and most respected personal injury law firms in the state and have earned a reputation as the “Strong Arm law firm” for our tough stance toward insurance companies. Our Lawrenceville personal injury lawyers can assist you with any kind of injury claim.
How do you know if you have a valid personal injury case?
The only way to be sure is to speak to a professional. However, as a general rule, if the accident was not your fault you likely have a claim. We see far too many injury victims who are quick to blame themselves or simply chalk up their injury as a pure accident. But this is not how the law sees it. Most accidents are a result of negligence. Negligence simply means that someone else could have prevented your accident if they were more careful, thoughtful, or attentive. The fact that they were negligent does not make them a bad person, and it doesn’t mean they did anything intentionally wrong. But it does mean that their insurance is liable for the cost of your injuries.
The most common types of personal injury claims we see include:
- Car accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Pedestrian or cyclist hit by a car
- Injuries caused by criminal assault
- Neglect and mistreatment in nursing homes
- Injuries caused by a defective product
- Medical device injuries
- Prescription drugs that cause harm or were filled incorrectly
However, nearly any type of injury can qualify as a claim in the right circumstances.
The Two Things You Should Do After a Personal Injury to Protect Your Rights
The days after an injury are stressful. There’s physical pain, mounting financial worries, and in some cases, you may be facing an injury that will never fully heal. Don’t let this period of confusion and uncertainty derail your life. There are two simple things you should do after an injury to protect your rights:
- Don’t sign anything from the insurance company until you have legal advice. Often, the first thing the insurance company will do after your injury is swoop in and offer you fast cash. They know that this offer is tempting: you already have medical bills to worry about, and the check can seem like a godsend. But when they use this tactic, it means they are likely offering you far less than the injury will truly end up costing—they want you to sign away your rights before you learn the full extent of the damage. Don’t fall for it. Never accept a check, sign any paperwork, or give a recorded statement to the insurance company until you have gotten a professional legal opinion on your claim.
- Take the time to talk to a personal injury lawyer. When a lawyer offers a free consultation, there is absolutely no harm in going in and discussing your case—and in many cases, it could lead to recovering substantially more money. A good personal injury lawyer has seen dozens of cases similar to yours and knows what you are likely to win if you pursued a claim. Take the time to meet, as your lawyer questions, and get to know your options before you proceed.
to find a John Foy office near you
Types of damages you can seek in a personal injury claim
In your personal injury lawsuit, you can seek compensation for losses you have endured as a result of your suffering a personal injury. Some of the damages to which you may be entitled include:
- Medical expenses, including prescription costs, costs related to physical therapy, and transportation to and from doctor appointments
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress
- Loss of consortium, if you lost a loved one
- Disfigurement and/or long-term or permanent disabilities
Our experienced attorneys will review your claim and ensure nothing gets left out.
Lawrenceville Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Do you have to go to court?
In most cases no, you do not. Occasionally we will run into an insurance company that absolutely refuses to budge. This is usually either because they are over-confident in the evidence they have, or because they think they can convince a jury not to take your injury seriously. If this is the case with your claim, we will give you our advice on whether it’s worth it to take your claim all the way to the local courts. If you decide to go to trial we will handle every step of the process.
More often, however, once you have a lawyer on your side the insurance company will come to the bargaining table. Our goal is to build the strongest possible case for the amount you need—including opinions from medical experts, an assessment of all long-term costs of your injury, and our own investigation into how the injury happened. When we confront the insurance company with this evidence, we can often drive up the amount they offer you. In many cases, you can get a fair recovery without ever going to court.
Why should you hire a personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim?
While you can file a claim on your own, it’s smart to have an attorney by your side. Insurance companies and even the courts may take your claim more seriously if you have an attorney. They know an attorney can help you gather evidence you might not otherwise be able to gather on your own, like expert witnesses and physical evidence from the scene.
A lawyer knows just what to look for and just what to use to help you build the strongest case possible. For instance, having a lawyer on your side means:
- You can better determine who was liable for the accident.
- You can gather more evidence, including medical documentation and evidence at the scene, to prove the extent of your injuries.
- You can hire expert witnesses to represent your best interests at trial, if necessary.
- You can trust your lawyer to communicate with the insurance company so you don’t say anything that could potentially harm your case.
A personal injury attorney can ensure your best interests and legal rights are protected in your case from start to finish.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Lawrenceville, call 404-400-4000
What does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Lawrenceville?
You shouldn’t have to pay anything out of pocket to get legal representation.
At John Foy & Associates, we follow a simple payment structure:
- Your first consultation, and every consultation, is FREE
- You pay nothing out of pocket for our services, ever
- If we don’t win money for you, you owe us nothing—we don’t get paid
The only way we collect any fee at all is if we are successful in recovering money for you. Then we are paid a percentage of the recovery and you keep the rest. We believe this is the fairest way to handle payment because it creates zero risks for you.
Is there a deadline to file an injury claim in Lawrenceville?
Yes, there are deadlines for all personal injury cases and they are strictly enforced. In the City of Lawrenceville, these deadlines are set by both Georgia state law and US federal law. The specific deadlines will depend on the type of case you have:
- Some types of claims have up to two years from the date of the accident
- Others may have only weeks
Missing the deadline means you lose your chance to recover money—forever. This is why it’s so important to act quickly and talk to a lawyer.
Talk to a Lawrenceville Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
John Foy & Associates was founded for one reason: to help those who were injured. Let us show you the difference it makes when you have a legal heavy hitter on your side. We will give you a free consultation and help you decide whether you have a strong claim. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys today.