From car crashes to injuries on the premises of a business, most of the time a personal injury could have been prevented. If you have suffered a personal injury in Sandy Springs, you may be eligible for financial recovery. You could have a legal right to money for injuries, suffering, and more.
The attorneys of John Foy & Associates have a 20-year history of working exclusively for the victims of injuries and accidents. In that time, we’ve built up one of the toughest and most respected firms in Georgia—and we know how to win cases. Call our Sandy Springs personal injury lawyers at 404-400-4000 for a free consultation today.
When does an injury count as a personal injury claim?
Almost any injury can be the basis for a claim depending on how it happened. What sets personal injury claims apart is that someone was “negligent,” and that negligence is what led to the accident. The negligent party could be an individual person like the owner of a dog that bit you. Or it could be a business or organization. For example, if you fell at a store because of an unmarked step, the business is probably liable.
Legally, negligence doesn’t mean that the person tried to do anything wrong. In most cases, they were merely careless. But if that carelessness is what ultimately caused the injury, or if the injury wouldn’t have happened if they have been more careful, then you have a strong basis for a personal injury claim.
The best way to find out for sure is to talk to Sandy Springs personal injury attorney. You can take advantage of a free consultation to get a clear answer from a professional without paying anything. In many cases, victims are surprised to find out they have a much stronger claim than they think.
to find a John Foy office near you
Who pays for a personal injury claim?
In theory, the liable party—the person or business that caused your injury—is the one who pays your costs. Most of the time, however, they don’t pay out of pocket. Instead, they’re usually covered by insurance.
The type of policy in question depends on the type of injury you suffered.
Sandy Springs Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Do different types of insurance policies cover different types of injuries?
- Car insurance. Motorists in the City of Sandy Springs, like all of Georgia, are required to carry car insurance. This will apply to your claim if another motorist was at fault for a vehicle accident, pedestrian accident, or a car hitting a bicycle.
- Property insurance. Homeowners and businesses carry insurance that covers most claims that happen on their physical premises. You may be surprised at what this covers, even if it’s not directly property-related. For example, dog attacks are often paid by property insurance if they happened on private premises.
- General liability insurance. Businesses, museums, and many large event venues carry policies designed to cover any injury claim that may come up, almost regardless of what kind of injury or accident it may be.
Insurance is not the only way to get the money you deserve. In Sandy Springs, the liable party must pay you the money whether they are insured or not, and the local courts will enforce this if necessary.
How much money can you recover in a personal injury claim?
You have a right to recover two kinds of “damages,” or money. They include:
- 100% of your costs. For example, let’s say you have $95,000 in medical expenses related to your injury, and you effectively lost another $5,000 by being unable to work. That means you had a total of $100,000 in costs, and you have a right to recover the full amount in your claim.
- Additional money for your suffering or losses. This is often referred to as “pain and suffering,” although it includes much more than that. This money is important because it’s a way of compensating you for personal losses that don’t have a true dollar price. For example, living with pain for 18 months has a real toll on your life. So does walking with a limp for the rest of your life. Any kind of serious loss like this, including emotional trauma, can be included in your financial recovery.
Of course, there’s no easy way to decide how much money is fair for major losses. In an attempt to do so, insurance companies tend to simply multiply your actual costs by a number that represents the severity of your personal loss. So, in the example above, if they decided to triple the amount of your real costs, that’s 3 x $100,000 for a total of $300,000 recovered.
Amounts like this are not uncommon in personal injury cases. Some recoveries are smaller and some are much larger. John Foy & Associates has helped many clients recover over $1,000,000 for their injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Sandy Springs, call 404-400-4000
When should you hire a lawyer to help you with a personal injury claim?
A lawyer can help you with a personal injury claim, no matter how minor. Ideally, an attorney can help you account for all the damages you have incurred so you know exactly how much to demand when you file for compensation. A lawyer can also help you protect your rights by gathering the evidence you need to prove the other party’s negligence.
Types of personal injury cases we take
At John Foy & Associates, we have a lengthy history of helping clients with just about every personal injury case you can think of. Some of the most common personal injury cases we handle include:
- Slip and fall injuries
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice, including defective medical device cases
What does it cost to speak to a lawyer?
We don’t believe cost should bar someone from getting the legal help they need. That’s why our personal injury lawyers in Sandy Springs work on a contingency basis. In other words, if we don’t get you money for your case, you owe us nothing.
We also provide a free consultation, which is a chance to sit down with an attorney—in person or on the phone—and get answers. You can come in for a consultation with no obligation to hire us.
Talk to a personal injury attorney in Sandy Springs today for free
Any injury can be a disaster—and living with it is not easy. You have a right to money and you deserve to get it. John Foy & Associates has a 20-year history of winning cases. Let us put our knowledge, experience and resources to work for you. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.