Any kind of personal injury brings pain, stress, and difficult questions. Most also bring steep medical bills – and uncertainty about how you’ll recover. Under the law, many injury victims are entitled to money to cover their costs and help them move forward with their lives.
If you were injured in Savannah, you have rights, and you need to talk to a legal professional to understand how best to enforce those rights. In many cases, you may be entitled to far more than you believe – and a Savannah personal injury lawyer can help you.
How a Savannah Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
After an accident, one of the things that you need most is an experienced ally that can listen to your story. That’s one of the most important services that a personal injury attorney in Savannah can provide – at your free consultation, a member of our team will sit down with you just to hear what happened.
After listening to your story, your lawyer will let you know what your options are and what the best course of action would be. After that, they will get to work to make sure you get the compensation you’re owed. Your personal injury lawyer will help by:
- Investigating your accident
- Gathering evidence that shows that you were injured by the other party
- Calculating the full extent of your damages
- Negotiating with the other party’s lawyer and the insurance company
- Fighting for you in court, if necessary
The best thing about your attorney’s services is that they won’t cost you anything upfront. Our team works on a contingency-fee-basis, which means they only get paid if you get compensation.
to find a John Foy office near you
What Sets Us Apart
John Foy & Associates is one of Savannah’s leading personal injury law firms. We have a history of helping victims and their families, with over 20 years of experience. Our firm works exclusively for those who have been injured – we don’t take on any other kind of case.
To see what really sets us apart, you can see what we’ve been able to do for other Georgians with our case results. They include:
- $7.7 million for the family of a motorcyclist killed in an accident
- $6.6 million for a client severely injured by a tractor-trailer
- $4.9 million for a client whose spine was injured in an 18-wheeler accident
- $2.7 million for a client injured in a collision involving two car carriers
To learn more about what sets us apart and how we can help, don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our Savannah personal injury attorneys.
Savannah Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 912-400-4000
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our firm champions the victims of all types of injuries. Our experienced attorneys frequently work with victims of these types of cases:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Swimming pool accidents and drowning
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace injuries
- Harmful medications and medical devices
- Neglect in nursing homes and care facilities
- Dangerous products
- Wrongful death
We know that your case is unique, and we want to help with it. Even if you don’t see your case on this list, you can always get a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers in Savannah who can tell you what your options are.
How Much Your Personal Injury Settlement Could Be Worth
Every personal injury settlement is different, and the amount depends on the severity of what happened. But you can recover 100% of your costs plus more for the pain and suffering you went through. Your settlement may include:
- Your medical bills, long term care, missed wages, and other costs
- Personal losses such as physical and emotional pain, disability, or loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages in cases where you were harmed by a criminal
- Final expenses and money for the family in wrongful death cases
Claims for relatively minor injuries can often pay out tens of thousands of dollars. Claims for severe injuries can be hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Savannah, call 912-400-4000
Savannah Personal Injury FAQs
- Can I sue because I was injured in Savannah, Ga?
- What is the legal definition of negligence in Savannah, Georgia and the rest of the state?
- Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for an Accident?
- How soon do I need to talk to an attorney in Savannah, Georgia after my injury?
It depends. There are two things you need to know about personal injury claims and lawsuits:
- You may not have to sue at all. Many personal injury claims are handled out of court, and get you the full amount you need without any lawsuit.
- Not everyone who was injured has a right to a settlement. However, if the injury was not your fault, there’s a good chance you do.
The best way to find out if your injury qualifies for a lawsuit or claim is to talk to a lawyer. A good personal injury attorney in Savannah, Georgia will give you a free consultation, listen to what happened, and help you understand your legal rights – and how much, if anything, you’re likely to recover.
In general, however, an injury will qualify if it was not your fault and if it was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Here’s how negligence is defined in Savannah and across the state:
- Someone else had a legal duty to be careful. Every driver has a duty to be careful while driving. Generally, any time someone’s actions or inaction could impact the safety of those around them, the law says they have a duty to be careful.
- That person’s actions (or lack of actions) were careless. This is the key element of negligence in Georgia. If, for example, a property owner doesn’t repair a faulty porch railing, he had a duty to be careful, broke that duty, and was thus “negligent.”
- The carelessness or negligence is what caused the injury. You can’t sue a person just for having a faulty railing on their porch. But if you fell from the porch and were injured, their negligence is to blame and they are liable.
Sometimes it isn’t obvious whether your injury fits these rules. For example, if you fell on some
steps at a store, was anyone negligent? It may be hard to say without getting a lot more evidence. Our law firm in Savannah, GA can send out an investigator to find out what happened and look for what truly caused it.
Yes, if you have any intention of filing a personal injury claim, chances are good that it’s worth hiring a lawyer to help. Without the guidance of a skilled personal injury attorney, it will be incredibly difficult to keep the other party’s lawyer and the insurance company from taking advantage of you.
That’s why you shouldn’t sign anything until you have a lawyer to help you. To save money, insurance companies prey on people who don’t know how to negotiate. An attorney can stand up to them and make sure you’re getting what you deserve.
With a no-fee initial consultation, it’s worth at least talking to a lawyer about your situation. Plus, we don’t take any up-front fees, so you’ll never pay for an attorney who won’t get you results.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims in Georgia?
Sooner is always better. Of course, when you’re in pain, talking to a lawyer may be the last thing on your mind. But injury victims who wait tend to have a harder time with their claim itself. Here’s why:
- Evidence may be gone, lost, or destroyed
- Witnesses become harder to contact
- Everyone’s memory becomes foggier, making it harder to reconstruct what happened
- Insurers can claim you didn’t really think you were injured that badly – or even that you are lying about your injury
- In some cases, you can hit a deadline known as the statute of limitations, or other deadlines that prevent you from getting money.
In Georgia, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is 2 years from the date of injury, according to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) §9-3-33. However, some have deadlines as short as just 6 months.
There is one exception where a claim may still be strong even after time has passed. If you didn’t know at first that you had an injury, it makes sense that you wouldn’t have filed a claim right away.
Facing an injury is difficult enough on its own. You shouldn’t have to worry about medical bills and missing work on top of it. Let the Savannah personal injury lawyers at John Foy & Associates help you recover the money that you and your family need.
We charge nothing unless we get you a financial recovery – and we offer a FREE consultation. Call us or fill out the form to your right and get your consultation today.