A single injury can be a life-changing event. You may find yourself living with pain every day, or unsure whether you will ever regain the full health you had before the injury. Severe cases may mean a disability, being unable to work, or even the loss of someone you love. And injuries always bring financial uncertainty, from high medical bills to missed work. If you were injured in Macon and it wasn’t your fault, you may have a legal right to recover money—and it’s often much more than the insurance company offers. You need to talk to a Macon personal injury lawyer.
John Foy & Associates are here for you. For 20 years, we have helped injury victims and their families navigate the complex legal world, prove their claims to insurance companies, and collect the money they deserved. In that time we have become respected as one of Georgia’s leading personal injury law firms. Let us give you a FREE consultation with a top attorney. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How do I know if I need a personal injury lawyer?
If you were injured and it wasn’t your fault, you should talk to a lawyer. This is the single smartest thing you can do after any accident or injury.
In the City of Macon and statewide, victims have a right to recover money for their injuries from the person or business who caused them. But many victims aren’t sure whether they have a case, or wrongly blame themselves for their own injury. As a result, every year victims go without money that they could have used for medical bills, missed income and more—even though they had a legal right to that money.
That doesn’t mean every injury victim has a claim. But it means it’s worth sitting down to talk to a lawyer, especially when the consultation is free. You can get a legal opinion in less than half an hour and know for certain whether you qualify for a claim.
What are examples of valid personal injury claims?
Examples of valid personal injury claims include:
- A driver changes lanes in front of you without using their turn signal, causing an accident that involves your car.
- A building owner doesn’t change a burnt-out lightbulb in their stairwell and you fall on the stairs.
- A nursing home increases the number of patients they accept by 20%, but doesn’t hire more staff. Your parent or relative is a resident in the nursing home and rolls out of bed one night, breaking a hip. It takes staff 4 hours to notice, and the injury has gotten substantially worse.
- A car manufacturer sold cars that have a faulty airbag. The airbag goes off suddenly when you are stopped at a red light, injuring your face.
All of these situations are very different. But they have one thing in common:
The injury would not have happened if someone had acted differently.
You can apply this same rule to your own injury. Was your injury preventible? Would it still have happened if someone had acted differently—taken an extra precaution, or been more careful?
If so, your injury is a result of negligence and you have a right to recover money.
How much money can I recover for a personal injury in Macon?
Personal injury settlements range from about $10,000 for many minor, temporary injuries to $100,000 or more for severe injuries. We have successfully helped many clients recover more than $1,000,000. The amount is always based on how severe your injury is and how much it affects your life.
Under state law, the Macon-Bibb County Courts allow you to recover two main kinds of money:
- Money for the costs of your injury. Your recovery should pay for all your medical costs, all your lost wages, all ongoing care or physical therapy, and any other costs you have.
- Money for the personal impact of your injury. Your recovery should also include money in consideration of suffering or changes to your life. This includes physical pain, mental anguish, or developing a disability or other limitation. It also includes being unable to do the activities you once loved.
Your financial recovery is supposed to offset the effects of your injury on your life. That’s why personal injury recoveries often involve so much money.
What about the insurance company? Can I just settle my claim with them?
Many personal injury claims are ultimately paid by an insurance policy. And usually, at some point the insurance company will approach you with an offer. This is especially true early in the process if you haven’t gotten a lawyer yet.
There’s nothing wrong with taking this money—as long as it’s the full amount you have a right to. Insurance companies will often try to pay less than they think you would get if you negotiated through a lawyer. For example:
- They may make the offer before you know how well your treatment is working, and whether you’ll need more treatment than expected.
- They may not include money for your missed work time/wages.
- They may not include much or any money for the pain and suffering you endured.
In general, insurance companies make an offer that will cover your immediate medical bills and a little more—just enough to get you to say yes. But that’s only a fraction of what you may be entitled to. Our advice is to talk to a lawyer first, and take the money if the lawyer thinks it’s a good deal.
What types of personal injury cases do you accept?
We work across all types of personal injury claims including:
- Vehicle accidents
- Trip and fall
- Medical malpractice & nursing home neglect
- Faulty products & harmful medications
- Workers compensation claims
No matter what kind of injury you have suffered, John Foy & Associates is here to help. We understand what it’s like to face a serious injury, and our mission is to make it as easy and stress-free as it can be. We charge nothing unless we recover money for you.
Talk to a Macon Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
For over 20 years, we have worked exclusively with victims of injuries and accidents. Let us put our experience to work for you and give you a FREE consultation. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.