If you’ve been injured in Riverdale, you could be eligible for a large financial recovery. The money you receive can help you pay for your medical bills, cover the cost of missed work time, and offset other losses you’ve suffered because of your accident.
Unfortunately, many people who are injured never realize that they have a right to compensation and the insurance companies are not quick to help you. Don’t let yourself get pulled into paying the bill for an injury that wasn’t your fault. Talk to a Riverdale personal injury attorney from John Foy & Associates.
What Should You Do After an Injury in Riverdale?
You should be your own best advocate in any injury case. You do not need to be an expert on the law to protect yourself and assert your rights. Here are some simple steps you can take:
- Document everything. Write down exactly what happened in your own words. Include the date and time of the injury and the names of anyone else involved. If possible, take photos of the place where it happened and everything involved.
- Don’t accept blame for something that isn’t your fault. It’s normal to want to apologize, even if you are the one who was hurt. Don’t do it. These statements weaken your own case because they make it look like you did something wrong.
- Never sign anything from the insurance company until you’ve talked to a lawyer. Insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying you or to pay you as little as possible, even if it’s not enough to cover your medical bills. This may seem like a godsend, but it comes with a waiver you have to sign to give away your rights.
- Get a professional legal opinion. It’s hard for a layperson to know what their legal rights are and how much their injury could end up costing them. Consulting with a personal injury lawyer in Riverdale is easy and doesn’t have to cost you anything.
to find a John Foy office near you
What Kinds of Injuries Qualify for a Personal Injury Claim?
Almost any kind of accident or injury can qualify. The key to any personal injury claim is the idea of negligence. In legal speak, negligence just means that someone else was careless, and it was that carelessness that led to your injury. This can take many forms:
- The owner of a building never bothered to fix a loose handrail on the stars
- A spill never gets cleaned up in a fast food restaurant, and no caution sign is put up
- A driver aggressively changes lanes without signaling
No one in any of these situations meant to hurt anybody and none of them are necessarily bad people. What they all have in common, however, is that someone exercised poor judgement and failed to take basic steps to ensure the safety of those around them.
If any situation like this leads to an injury, it’s a valid personal injury claim. The most common types of claims are:
- Auto accidents
- Dog bites
- Pedestrian or bicycling accidents
- Slipping and falling
- Injuries in nursing homes
- Defective products
- Dangerous prescription drugs
- Faulty medical devices
Riverdale Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Proving Negligence Is Essential to a Personal Injury Claim
Personal injury cases exist because of negligence. According to Ga. Code § 51-12-33 on negligence, the following elements need to be established in order to prove the other party is responsible for your injuries:
- The defendant owed you, the plaintiff, a duty of care to behave a certain way.
- The defendant failed to uphold this duty.
- This failure harmed you, the plaintiff, and caused you to suffer injuries.
- The plaintiff sustained financial losses as a result of this.
There are laws that add nuance to this process, such as those governing employer liability or medical malpractice. A Riverdale personal injury attorney from John Foy & Associates can help you understand the Georgia laws that are relevant to your case and take you through the entire legal process.
Will Your Riverdale Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
It is rare for your personal injury claim to go to court, and it usually happens only if the insurance company refuses to bargain. Experienced law firms know the local courts well and, if this happens, they can handle the entire process for you. In most cases, however, your claim will never go to court and will instead, be resolved through negotiation.
A personal injury lawyer in Riverdale will launch a full investigation of your injury, back up every detail with hard evidence, and hammer away until the negligent party and their insurance company gives you the amount you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Riverdale, call 404-400-4000
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost in Riverdale?
Legal assistance should be as accessible as possible. That’s why many personal injury lawyers in Riverdale offer very simple payment terms on a contingency-fee basis:
- All consultations are FREE
- You never pay anything out of pocket
- You pay them nothing, ever, if they don’t win you money
If your attorney does secure you a financial recovery, they will take a percentage out of it and you keep everything else. This way you have absolutely no risk.
Is There a Deadline for Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Riverdale?
Yes, and the deadlines are tight. In Riverdale, Georgia, deadlines are set by both state and federal law, and they vary depending on the type of case you have. In most personal injury claims, you could have up to two years (per Ga. Code § 9-3-33). But in some cases, you may have only weeks. This is why it’s crucial to get legal help as soon as possible.
Damages in Personal Injury Claims You May Be Able to Be Compensated For
It’s important to know the total of all your damages. This amount will help you determine if a settlement offer is fair or if you should take your case to trial. Some general damage categories that may be available in Riverdale personal injury cases include:
- Medical care: The medical treatment required for you to make a full recovery, such as surgeries, medications, and doctor’s visits can be reimbursed by the negligent party.
- Property damage: If any of your property was destroyed in the accident, like your car, cell phone, fence, you can request the cost of getting it repaired or replaced.
- Loss of income: Missing work, losing benefits, or sacrificing income due to your accident or recovery process can also be added to your claim.
- Reduced earning capability: If your injuries are serious enough to stop you from working or permanently lower your income, you deserve additional compensation.
- Pain and suffering: You may also be able to recover from the physical and mental effect your injury has caused you.
How Your Economic and Non-Economic Damages Will Be Calculated
A personal injury attorney can calculate your damages. Other applicable damages not listed here may also be available. These calculations can backed up by using evidence such as:
- Your medical records and bills
- Income documents from your job or tax forms
- Expert witness testimony
- Receipts for damaged property or out-of-pocket expenses
- Rulings and court documents from relevant past cases
How Can a Riverdale Personal Injury Lawyer Help You?
When you hire a Riverdale personal injury attorney to represent you, you can expect them to:
- Speak with all other parties and their representatives on your behalf
- Collect evidence that establishes the other party’s liability and the total of your damages
- Take legal action by filing insurance claims or lawsuits on your behalf
- Negotiate with the other party’s insurance company for a settlement offer
- Bring your case to trial if necessary
- Update you on the status of your case and provide you with your legal options
Talk to a Riverdale Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
John Foy & Associates has one purpose: to help people who have been injured. For over 20 years, we have been assisting injury victims and their families and helping them put their lives back together. Starting as a small local law firm, we have risen to be one of the most respected and reputable personal injury law offices in Georgia.
We work exclusively for those who were injured, never for the big insurance companies. Let us give you a free consultation to discuss your case and answer your questions. Call our office and get your FREE consultation today.