People who slip or trip and fall in Alpharetta frequently are treated for bone fractures, damaged joints, torn ligaments, and head injuries. It’s not unusual to miss weeks of work or learn that you will need surgery or months of physical therapy. Treating a slip and fall injury is expensive, but you do not have to absorb the cost.
At John Foy & Associates, we have a 20-year history of helping slip and fall accident victims get the money they need to move on with their lives. Our Alpharetta slip and fall injury attorneys offer a free consultation where we’ll discuss your case and your options. Call us at (404) 400-4000 today.
Do I Have a Slip and Fall Case I Can File a Claim for?
After a fall, many people blame themselves. They feel embarrassed or clumsy, and they tend to think the accident is their fault. But, chances are, you fell because of an obstacle, a hazard, or an unsafe condition.
Legally, this means that the person or business that created that condition caused your accident and is legally responsible. Never assume that you don’t have a case. You probably do. We often handle slip and fall cases involving these types of hazards:
- Spilled drinks or other products
- Damaged or uneven sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, or roads
- Unmarked steps
- Stairs without adequate railings
- Poorly-lit areas
- Windows or balconies without adequate safeguards
The Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) § 51-3-1 requires people who own property to have a legal duty to make sure their premises are safe for people who visit, including guests and customers. When property owners allow an unsafe condition, they are “negligent.”
Negligence doesn’t mean a property owner meant to hurt you; it just means that they weren’t as careful as they should have been. When property owners are negligent, their insurance company must pay for all your injuries and costs.
to find a John Foy office near you
Benefits of Hiring a Slip and Fall Lawyer
There are several benefits to hiring one of our slip and fall injury lawyers in Alpharetta to help you with your case:
- You get answers to all your legal questions
- You can learn about all the legal options available for your case
- You get dedicated attorneys that will represent you and your best interests at all times
- A fighting chance against the insurance company
- Assistance gathering evidence for your claim
If you don’t have any legal experience, don’t try and fight for your settlement alone. Insurance companies have the resources and legal knowledge to challenge your claim successfully. While you rest and recover from your slip and fall injury, allow us to get you the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
Alpharetta Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What Do I Do After a Slip and Fall Injury in Alpharetta?
If you are not injured badly enough to need immediate emergency medical attention, you can significantly help your case by documenting what happened. In addition, the property owner may act quickly to clear away the hazard that caused you to fall, so it’s helpful to gather some evidence right away.
- If you fall inside or near a business, tell the owner or manager. Make sure you talk to the person in charge. Emphasize that you were injured, and get a business card from the person you spoke to.
- Take pictures or videos. Be sure to photograph the spilled drink, pothole, or other hazards that caused your fall. Also, take photos of the general scene and any visible injuries you suffered. Images can be much more persuasive than just a written statement.
- Talk to witnesses. People at the scene may have seen you fall, or they may have noticed the hazard before you fell. Find out what they saw and get their contact information.
- Go to the doctor. Even if you think your injuries will heal on their own, see a doctor. Insurance companies like to claim that slip and fall victims are exaggerating their injuries. Visiting a doctor shows that your injury was serious right from the start.
Insurance companies want to make a profit, which means they’ll avoid paying out on a claim if they can. This also means you must be careful what you say. Never apologize for falling, and never say the accident was your fault. Any statements you make can get used against you later.
What If I Fell at My Friend’s House?
It doesn’t matter where you fell down, you are still entitled to recover all your costs. Unfortunately, many people hesitate to make a claim when the fall happens at a friend, neighbor, or relative’s house. Understandably, you don’t want to ruin a relationship or take someone you care about to court. But you aren’t making a claim against your friend personally.
Your claim will get handled and paid by your friend’s homeowner’s insurance policy, and your friend won’t pay anything out of pocket. Your friend will probably be happy to see you get the care you need.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Alpharetta, call 404-400-4000
How Much Is the Average Slip and Fall Settlement?
Your slip and fall settlement will depend heavily on the types of damages you sustain. There are several damages you can receive compensation for in your settlement:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The average slip and fall settlement in Georgia is around $20,000, give or take. This amount can be a lot more or less depending on the extent of your damages. Rest assured, our Alpharetta slip and fall injury lawyers will calculate your settlement accurately and ensure nothing gets left out.
Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Injury Claims in Georgia
Yes, in the City of Alpharetta, you have a limited amount of time to file your claim. The deadline, known as the statute of limitations, is set by OCGA § 9-3-33, which generally gives you two years to file a claim. However, it can vary depending on the circumstances of your accident.
Some people only have a matter of months to get a claim on file. If you file your claim after the deadline has expired, the local courts will probably dismiss your case, and you won’t have any legal right to recover money for your injuries. This means you should not wait to talk to a lawyer and file your claim. Instead, contact a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
Never Accept the Initial Settlement Offer
There’s a high chance that an insurance adjuster will try to convince you to accept the insurance company’s initial settlement. They may say that hiring a lawyer is pointless and that they’re willing to give you quick payment to resolve your damages. This may sound tempting but never accept their offer without first speaking to an Alpharetta slip and fall injury attorney.
In fact, don’t sign anything or verbally agree with their deal. Anything you say, write, or do can get used against you. Remember, insurance companies are businesses, and they will gladly rip you off in your settlement if it means money saved for them. Before you do anything with the insurance company, allow us to help you first.
Talk to an Alpharetta Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
You should never have to pay for an accident that was someone else’s fault. John Foy & Associates has been getting slip and fall victims the money they deserve for over 20 years. We’d like to give you a free consultation to show you how we can help you too.
Have you been hurt in an accident at a shop in North Point Mall or a nearby shopping center?
- Gap slip and fall lawsuit
- H&M slip and fall lawsuit
- Express slip and fall lawsuit
- Forever 21 slip and fall lawsuit
- Aeropostale slip and fall lawsuit
- Bath & Body Works slip and fall lawsuit
Call our slip and fall injury lawyers in Alpharetta at (404) 400-4000 or fill out the form to your right to schedule an appointment today.
Call or text 404-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form