Many young adults love shopping at Express stores for their classy, approachable styles. Visiting an Express store should be an enjoyable shopping experience. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s anything but pleasant. When a store is negligent, it can result in the need for an Express slip and fall accident and injury lawyer in Georgia.
Below, we’ll cover some facts you need to know if you were injured in an Express store in Georgia. For further help with your situation, contact John Foy & Associates at (404) 400-4000 or online for a FREE consultation. We can discuss the details of your case and how we can help with your slip and fall accident claim.
An Overview of Express Stores in Georgia
Express is a fashion retailer in America. Their largest customer base is young men and women, although people of all ages shop there. According to their own website, Express boasts clothing for “everything from first job interviews to weekend parties” and a “strong individual style.”
Opened in 1980 and now headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Express has over 650 retail stores nationally and internationally. Express stores offer shirts, sweaters, jeans, boots, occasion-specific wear, and more for both men and women.
to find a John Foy office near you
How Slip and Fall Accident Claims Work Against Express Stores
We’d like to believe that stores like Express have our best interests at heart. However, sometimes employees or managers are not as diligent or attentive at protecting customers as they should be. When the store is negligent, it can present a number of hazards to those who visit.
According to the Georgia Code section 51-3-1, all owners or occupiers of land in Georgia must “exercise ordinary care” in keeping their premises safe. That includes making sure there is nothing in their store that will cause customers to slip, fall, and injure themselves. When the store does not uphold this duty to exercise care and someone gets hurt, they are legally liable in damages.
What does the above information mean? Basically, if you are harmed in an Express store because an employee did something (or failed to do something) that caused your accident, you have the right to file a personal injury claim for damages. To do this, you will need to file this claim with the store’s insurance company and prove that:
- The store was negligent in its duty to prevent harm.
- That negligence led to your slip and fall accident and injuries.
- Your damages are directly a result of the store’s negligence.
An Express slip and fall accident and injury lawyer in Georgia can help you build a strong claim for damages. Insurance companies for large chains like Express will look for every excuse to pay you less than you deserve, so having an experienced lawyer on your side is invaluable.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Happen in Express
A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere in a store like Express, but here are some of the most common locations:
- Slippery floors
- Poorly lit hallways or walkways
- Aisles where merchandise or displays have fallen
- Bathrooms where the floor is wet or steps are not marked
- Staircases with broken steps or no handrails
- Uneven flooring or carpeting
- Crowded areas during high-traffic seasons
If your fall did not happen in one of the above locations, don’t worry. Those are just examples. The truth is, if you were injured at no fault of your own, you should have the right to file a claim for compensation.
How to Strengthen Your Slip and Fall Claim Against Express
Even if you had no fault in your slip and fall accident, the store’s insurance company will make compensation difficult from the start. They may use tactics like:
- Calling you soon after the accident and using anything you say against you
- Trying to blame you for some or all of the accident
- Claiming your injuries were from situations before the accident
- Making you feel like your only option is to accept a lowball settlement (which they will likely offer you upfront)
- Intimidating you into settling your case before you can investigate further
It’s best to be wary of the insurance company from the beginning. Even if they seem friendly or “on your side,” they ultimately care about their bottom line. The only person who can truly represent your best interests in this situation is an Express slip and fall accident and injury lawyer.
Contacting an experienced lawyer is your best first move in a slip and fall accident case. They can make sure the insurance company doesn’t take advantage of your vulnerable state or lack of legal knowledge (which you are not expected to instantly possess). Thankfully, most personal injury lawyers (like John Foy & Associates) will offer you a consultation for free.
Other than reaching out to a good attorney, here are some specific ways you can begin gathering evidence and building your own injury claim:
- Using your phone to take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and the hazardous situation that caused your accident
- Reporting the slip and fall accident to the Express store’s owner or manager
- Not admitting any blame or apologizing for the accident (this can be used against you—contact a lawyer first)
- Talking to any witnesses, asking what they saw, and getting their names and contact information
- Seeing a doctor as soon as possible for treatment of your injuries
- Keeping track of all medical bills, lost work time, and other damages
The more information you can gather to show what happened and what you’ve lost because of the accident, the better.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Georgia, call 404-400-4000
Talk to an Express Slip and Fall Accident and Injury Lawyer in Georgia for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we can help you with all of the above and more. Plus, working with us is risk-free because we don’t get paid unless we win you money. Call us today for a FREE consultation at (404) 400-4000.
Don’t let the store or their insurance company try to offer you less than you deserve. Contact us and we’ll discuss the details further during your FREE consultation. Call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online to get started today.