Almost all Alpharetta workers have workers compensation benefits starting on their first day of work. Workers compensation covers all employees, from entry level employees to top-level executives, and everyone in-between.
However, despite this broad coverage, many injured workers have trouble getting their claims paid by workers compensation insurance. This is because the insurance companies want to make a profit, and they do this by paying out as little as possible. Their tactics include disputing the extent of your injury or the way it happened, or referring you to a doctor who won’t give you a full and accurate diagnosis. You have a right to workers compensation benefits. But you need to speak with an Alpharetta workers compensation lawyer.
John Foy & Associates has the experience and know-how to get results. We’ve been helping injured workers get their workers compensation benefits for more than 20 years, and we know how the system works and what we need to do to get you paid. We’d like to give you a free consultation to go over your claim. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What is workers compensation and how does it work?
If you’re injured on the job, you shouldn’t have to take your employer to court to get your injuries paid for. The government established the workers compensation program to give injured workers an easier path to financial recovery. The program serves two purposes:
- It provides medical care and financial support for injured workers like you
- It does this without the need for a drawn-out, expensive lawsuit
All employers are required by law to carry a workers compensation insurance policy that will cover workers who are injured on the job. Then, if you are physically hurt at work, the policy will cover you.
It’s important to understand a few things about workers compensation:
- It is not a government handout. It’s an insurance policy that your employer has paid for, mostly through deductions from your paycheck.
- You have a right to workers compensation benefits for any injury in the workplace, no matter what caused it or how it occurred.
to find a John Foy office near you
What kinds of costs will workers compensation pay in Alpharetta?
All the costs of a workplace injury are covered by workers compensation, including the pay you missed if you were out of work because you were injured. For most injuries, you can expect these benefits:
- Medical care, including doctor visits, emergency rooms, surgery and tests
- Prescription drugs
- Physical therapy to help you recover
- Vocational training, if you need it to return to work
- The cost of traveling to and from healthcare providers, at a rate of $.40 per mile
- Lost pay. Workers comp will issue a paycheck that is smaller than what you usually receive, but is tax free.
If you have a disability or a permanent condition, you are eligible for even more financial benefits. You may also receive benefits if a workplace accident claims the life of a close family member. We know that money can’t ever compensate you for a life-altering injury or a tragic loss, but we also know that serious injuries carry a big financial impact. Workers compensation can help you get the care you need and stay on top of your bills while you continue your healing process.
Alpharetta Workers Compensation Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What injuries are covered by workers compensation in Alpharetta?
Workers compensation covers just about any injury that happens in the workplace.
- Fault doesn’t matter—you’re covered no matter who or what caused the injury
- It doesn’t matter how you were injured
- The injury doesn’t need to be related to the work you do—you’re covered even if you trip on the stairs or slip in the break room
- You don’t have to blame anyone to get benefits
Some of the most common injuries we see are related to the construction industry. It’s not unusual for construction workers to suffer injures caused by falling debris, construction equipment or electrical shocks. But we also see injured office workers with desk jobs, restaurant employees, delivery drivers, and people in just about any industry or occupation you can think of.
Are there injuries that are not covered by workers compensation?
Workers comp covers injuries that happen at work, so injuries that occur outside your workplace generally aren’t covered. Fortunately, the program also accommodates certain injuries that happen when you’re working off-site. For example, you may be covered if you are injured in one of these circumstances:
- While on business travel
- While driving a company car
- While running and errand as part of your job
- While attending a meeting off-site
- While working from a remote location
If you are injured while traveling to or from work, your injuries unfortunately will probably not be covered. However, if you are in your employer’s parking lot or on the sidewalk when you are injured, you may be able to get benefits.
For a free legal consultation with a workers compensation lawyer serving Alpharetta, call 404-400-4000
Does workers compensation cover my psychological trauma?
Workers comp is primarily meant to cover physical injuries. If you suffer trauma or another psychological condition along with a physical injury, then your physical and psychological injuries will both be covered. But if you are not physically hurt, workers compensation will not cover psychological treatment. Thus, you could recover for both physical and psychological wounds after a physical attack, but not for psychological issues caused by verbal harassment.
Can I get workers compensation without suing my employer?
Yes. Workers in the City of Alpharetta are not even allowed to sue their employers for workplace injuries. Workers compensation has completely replaced the ordinary system of lawsuits and courtrooms. This is good for workers, for several reasons:
- Lawsuits can take a long time; workers compensation gets you benefits more quickly
- Lawsuits are unpredictable; workers comp is a simpler system with fewer variables
- Lawsuits force you to go against your employer; workers comp is a claim with an insurance company
Many injured employees aren’t sure they want to file a workers compensation claim. They fear they’ll lose their job or suffer other consequences if they make a claim against their employer. But in filing a workers compensation claim, you’re not accusing your employer of anything—you’re just making an insurance claim. Most employers are supportive and want the very best for you. It’s the insurance companies that will try to deny your claim. But you’ll have a much better chance of a full financial recovery if you have a good lawyer working for you.
Talk to an Alpharetta Workers Compensation Lawyer for Free
If you are injured at work, you have a right to a full financial recovery. At John Foy & Associates, we’ve been helping people like you recover workers compensation benefits for more than 20 years. We’d like to give you a free consultation to explain how we can help you too. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.