Slips, trips and falls are common in Warner Robins. The consequences can range from a minor bruise to severe muscle, tendon, bone and joint damage. If you suffer a serious slip and fall injury, you may need surgery, hospitalization and physical therapy. You may be out of work for weeks or months. The medical bills for these treatments can pile up quickly, but you don’t have to pay for a fall that wasn’t your fault. You have a right to recover all your costs, including medical expenses and lost pay. But you need to contact a Warner Robins slip and fall lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates we have been getting money for slip and fall accident victims for more than 20 years. When we opened our law firm, we decided to represent accident victims exclusively, not big corporations or insurance companies. We have stuck to that philosophy and today we are one of the biggest and most highly respected law firms in Georgia. We offer a free consultation where our slip and fall lawyers will explain what we can do for you. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
Do I have a legitimate slip and fall claim?
If you fell and hurt yourself, there’s a good chance you have a case. You may be tempted to blame yourself, but normal, healthy adults don’t just fall down for no reason. Most of the time, there was some sort of hazard or obstacle that contributed to your accident. That means that you are not legally to blame.
We often see these types of slip and fall accidents:
- Slipping on a wet floor or a spilled product
- Stumbling over a damaged or uneven place in pavement
- Tripping on a step that should have been marked
- Falling up or down stairs
- Tripping because you couldn’t see a hazard due to poor lighting
- Falling over a railing or through an open window
Legally, all these accidents fall under the category of “premises liability” cases. What this means is that property owners have a legal duty to make their premises safe for people who visit or use them. If the premises aren’t safe, then the property owner is “negligent” and therefore legally liable for any injuries that occur there. Negligence doesn’t mean a property owner intentionally hurt you; it just means the owner was not as careful as he or she should have been.
to find a John Foy office near you
I slipped and fell in Warner Robins. What should I do?
Insurance companies tend to look closely at slip and fall cases, and they may try to deny your claim. You can help make a strong case by taking some simple steps at the scene of the accident. Of course, you should first take care of any immediate medical needs. We also recommend the following steps:
- Report your fall AND your injury. If you are at a business, talk to the owner, manager or person in charge and make sure they understand that you were injured. Get the person’s business card so you can follow up later. If you were at a private home, don’t pretend everything is ok. Make sure the homeowner knows you fell and hurt yourself.
- Get photos and/or video. Photos and video can graphically show how your accident happened. Take pictures of the scene of the accident generally, any hazards or obstacles that contributed to your fall, and any visible injuries.
- Talk to other people at the scene. Other people may have seen you fall. Or, they may have observed a dangerous condition such as a spilled drink that wasn’t cleaned up. Get their names and contact information.
- See a doctor. Insurance companies love to claim that slip and fall victims are exaggerating their injuries. This is because many slip and fall injuries aren’t obvious at first. Victims wait to see a doctor, thinking they’ll recover on their own. Do yourself a favor: go to the doctor right away. The diagnosis will show the true extent of your injuries, and you’ll recover faster if you get started on treatment immediately.
Insurance companies don’t like to pay out claims, even to people who have suffered serious injuries. Don’t give them a reason to deny your claim. Never accept the blame for an accident that’s not your fault, and never apologize for falling. Any statements you make can be used against you.
Warner Robins Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 478-400-4000
What if I fell at someone’s private residence?
Falls that occur in homes are no different from falls that occur at businesses. You are still entitled to recover 100% of the cost of your injuries. However, a fall at a friend or relative’s house can feel different because you may be worried about putting a strain on your relationship or making your friend pay your medical bills. However, when you make a claim, your claim is not against your friend. Your claim is with their insurance company, and the insurance company—not your friend—will pay for your damages.
Do I have a deadline for filing a slip and fall case in Warner Robins?
Yes, the City of Warner Robins has strict deadlines for filing slip and fall claims. These deadlines, also known as “statutes of limitations,” are set by federal and state law. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, your statute of limitations may be quite short:
- Many slip and fall victims have up to two years to make a claim
- In some cases, the deadline is only a matter of weeks after the accident
If you miss the deadline, the local courts will refuse to hear your case and you will not be able to recover any money for your injury. The best way to prevent this from happening is to consult with a good slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Warner Robins, call 478-400-4000
Talk to a Warner Robins Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
You should never have to bear the cost of an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness. John Foy & Associates has a 20-year track record of getting money for slip and fall victims. We’d like to sit down with you for a free consultation to discuss your case and explain your options. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.