If you or someone you love has been injured in Marietta, you may qualify for a substantial financial recovery. The money you recover can be crucial in paying for medical bills, missed work days and other losses you’ve suffered because of your accident. Sadly, many people who are injured never realize that they are eligible for this money—or they accept a payment from the insurance company that is far too small. Don’t leave yourself on the hook for an injury that wasn’t your fault. You need to speak to a good Marietta personal injury lawyer.
John Foy & Associates has the experience to help. We have been helping injury victims and winning cases for more than 20 years. In that time, we’ve risen from a small local law firm to one of the largest, most respected personal injury firms in Georgia—and we work exclusively for those who have been injured through no fault of their own. Let us give you a free consultation where you can ask questions, get answers and understand your legal options. Call John Foy & Associates at 404-400-4000 and get your FREE consultation today.
What should I do after an injury in Marietta?
We always suggest being your own best advocate. There are basic steps you can take to assert and protect your legal rights, right from the beginning. Some of the simplest things you can do include:
- Document your injury. Take time as soon as possible after your injury and write down what happened. Include every detail you remember, including the date, the time and the names of anyone involved. If possible, it helps to take pictures of the place where it happened—whether that is the scene of a car accident and the damaged cars, or returning to a venue where you slipped and fell.
- Watch what you say. All too often we see injured persons downplaying how serious their injury is, or even accepting the blame for it. This is a natural instinct we all have, to try to smooth over a difficult situation, but your words will be used against you by the insurance company. Don’t apologize for something that wasn’t your fault, and don’t say you’re fine unless a doctor has told you so.
- Never sign anything from the insurance company until you’ve talked to a lawyer. Insurance companies have mastered the art of underpaying you, and they want you to sign away your rights. Often they will make a quick offer of money right after your injury, before you really know how serious your injuries are. In other cases they may delay processing your claim over and over until you are desperate for money. The goal in both cases is to get you to accept less than you need. Don’t fall for it. Set aside any checks or paperwork they send you and do not give them a recorded statement.
- Talk to a lawyer. Personal injury law is complex. On your own, it’s hard to know what to do or how much your claim might be worth. That’s why we make legal help as accessible as possible. A free one-hour consultation might be all it takes for you to decide on a course of action.
What sorts of injuries qualify for a personal injury claim in Marietta?
Any kind of injury can potentially qualify. The key to personal injury claims is not how you were hurt, but whether anyone’s negligence was involved. In the law, negligence basically means that someone else was careless, and that it was this carelessness that led to your injury.
Examples of negligence can include:
- A dark stairwell where the light bulbs were never replaced
- A spill in a store that no one has cleaned up
- A driver changing lanes without signaling first
Notice that nobody wanted to hurt anyone in these examples. Most likely, everyone involved is a good person. But, in all of these situations, someone failed to take basic precautions to look out for the people around them. They were careless with other people’s safety, and if that leads to an injury, then there is a valid personal injury claim.
The types of injuries we see most often come from:
- Car and truck accidents
- Pedestrians being hit by cars
- Tripping, slipping and falling
- Injuries from muggings and other attacks
- Nursing home injuries
- Defective products
- Harmful prescription drugs
- Pharmacies that give out the wrong medicine or the wrong dosage
- Defective medical devices
Will I have to go to court for my Marietta personal injury claim?
Not usually. This typically only happens if the insurance company won’t negotiate. We are very experienced at working in the local courts, and if your claim does go to trial, we can manage the entire process for you.
In most cases, however, there is no need to go to trial. Instead we work to resolve your claim through negotiation. Our law firm has earned the nickname “the Strong Arm of the Law” because we know how to hammer an insurance company at the bargaining table. We run our own investigation of your injury and back up every argument we make with hard evidence, then we put pressure on the insurers to settle quickly and easily. This is often all if takes to get you a much higher offer of money.
What does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Marietta?
We don’t think it should cost you a cent to talk to a lawyer. That’s why we don’t charge hourly fees. Instead, we offer a simple promise:
- Your consultation is FREE
- You pay us nothing up front or out of pocket, ever
- If we don’t win you money, you owe us nothing
We only get paid once we recover money for you. We receive a percentage and you keep everything else. That way you can get professional legal advice with zero risk.
Is there a deadline for filing a claim in Marietta?
Yes, and the deadline can be tight. The City of Marietta uses deadlines established in state and federal law. Some cases have deadlines of up to two years, but in many cases you have only a few weeks from the date of your injury. That’s why we urge all injury victims to see a lawyer as soon as possible.
Talk to a Marietta Personal Injury Lawyer for Free
John Foy & Associates exists for one reason: to help people who have been injured. Let us give you a free consultation to discuss your claim and your options. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your free consultation today.