Catastrophic injuries require specialized treatment, and the implications of such hurt can be immense. Sometimes, accident or crime victims succumb.
The resultant medical costs are primarily above the roof. Furthermore, injury victims and their family members are mostly left to bear immense pain, budget constraints, and emotional trauma. This shouldn’t happen, especially if someone else’s wrongful actions, negligence, or carelessness led to your current situation.
In this case, your best decision would be to contact a reputable Marietta catastrophic injury lawyer for apt guidance and legal representation. Call us today, and we’ll take you through the particulars of the case and help you be fairly compensated.
Why Contact a Catastrophic Injury Attorney in Marietta?
If you recently suffered a catastrophic injury or someone close to you went through the same experience, you know how disorienting it can be. While it’s possible to seek compensation for the damages caused by your injuries, only a reputable attorney can effectively work towards the most favorable case outcome.
Here are the leading reasons why you should let a reputable Marietta catastrophic injury attorney represent you:
- Protecting your rights – It’s easy to be conned by insurance adjusters or the at-fault party after suffering a catastrophic injury because of someone else’s negligence. A catastrophic injury lawyer in Marietta knows your rights and will fight to ensure they’re respected.
- Objectivity and professionalism – Catastrophic injuries cause lots of pain, suffering, and emotional upheaval. The resultant trauma could prevent you from thinking straight and reaching objective solutions, but your attorney will think critically and remain professional to build a strong case.
- Negotiation Skills – You may be the best negotiator around, but it’s hard to deal with insurance adjusters presenting low settlement offers and convincing you to accept their bids. An experienced attorney will negotiate with them as well as lienholders after the case ends in your favor.
- Numerous legal options – Attorneys understand that sometimes they need alternative dispute resolution methods for insurance adjusters. They’ll handle your claim through arbitration, mediation, and trial.
- Get excellent medical attention – When you reach out to your attorney early enough, they’ll do everything to deliver the best quality treatment to recover as soon as possible. They also understand medical malpractice and ensure you receive proper care as they deal with the evidence and documentation.
- Make better decisions – The personal injury claims process may seem long and complicated, and it’s easy to accept a low offer and conclude the procedure. An experienced attorney will take you through the available options to ensure justice is served.
- Get faster compensation – After the incident, as you’ll be busy with treatment and recovery, your attorney will already immerse themselves in the case, gathering evidence and handling all the treatment documentation. This way, you’ll be compensated as soon as possible.
- Get peace of mind – Catastrophic injuries can sometimes cause fatalities, post-traumatic stress, and immense emotional trauma. Working for the best outcome of your lawsuit at this moment can be stressful, but with an attorney by your side, you’ll ace through the process self-assured that an experienced person is handling the case.
to find a John Foy office near you
Statutes that Could Affect Your Catastrophic Injury Case in Marietta
Several legal provisions could impact the outcome of your personal injury claim. however, the following three regulations play a considerable role in such cases:
Georgia’s Statute of Limitations
The state’s statute of limitations defines the duration left to file a personal injury claim. All states have their unique deadlines as defined in their laws, but in Marietta, you have two years to file the claim. The clock begins on the injury date and applies to cases involving:
- Product liability
- Car accidents
- Wrongful death
- Dog bites
- Medical malpractice
- Construction accidents and numerous other injury claims
Once this deadline passes, you can’t seek damages through a court proceeding. The statute can be tolled to extend the deadline if the victim is a minor or if someone discovers another injury later on.
Comparative Fault Laws in Georgia
This rule can immensely affect the possible compensation you’ll get from the claim. It involves assigning damages to at-fault parties based on their fault level for causing the situation that led to the catastrophic injury. Therefore, each negligent party in a lawsuit is responsible for their damages based on their percentage of fault.
The state applies a modified comparative fault for personal injury cases, which lets you recover compensation if your percentage of fault is below 50%. But if you’re found to be more than 50% at fault, you won’t receive anything as compensation. This means you shouldn’t expect total payment if you’re partly responsible for the accident.
Georgia’s Wrongful Death Statute
Some personal injury cases have statutes directly relating to the particular cause of action. In Marietta, Georgia’s Wrongful Death Act is a great example.
This act has laws that determine the outcome of wrongful death cases alone. For instance, it defines that only surviving parents, children, and spouses can file this claim. The statutes also direct how damages are divided among beneficiaries based on the details in the victim’s will.
Your attorney will take you through the details and help you understand what you deserve and why.
Marietta Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
How Much Compensation Should You Expect?
There’s no standard amount awarded to victims of catastrophic injuries and their family members. However, what you’ll get will be a combination of your economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are the direct losses you face due to the catastrophic injury. They’re documented and are therefore easy to calculate. They include:
- Medical expenses
- Cost of therapy
- Property damage during the incident
- Funeral costs
Non-economic damages have no economic value because the harm is inflicted personally, and there’s no documentation and receipts. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loos of consortium
Speak with a Reliable Marietta Catastrophic Injury Attorney Today
A catastrophic injury can leave you with immense financial burdens, physical pain, and emotional trauma. The harm can also be fatal, leaving behind emotionally drained family members and loved ones. As such, it’s only fitting that victims and their surviving family members be awarded substantial compensation that would cover their new needs and costs.
The catastrophic injury attorney you choose will significantly determine your case outcome. But you don’t have to search anymore. We are home to seasoned personal injury lawyers with a success record for catastrophic injury claims in Marietta and other parts of Georgia. Speak with us today and let our experts evaluate your case for free.
Call or text 404-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form