Slip and fall accidents can easily be serious. Year after year, we see accidental falls as one of the leading causes of injury in Marietta, GA. Even a simple trip and fall can lead to sprains, broken bones, hospital visits and weeks of missed work days—or more. More serious falls can cause disabilities and long-term pain or injuries. Either way, you don’t have to watch while the costs of your injury pile up. You have the right to make a complete financial recovery for your injuries. You need to speak to a Marietta slip and fall lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates, we can help. Our firm is one of the largest and most experienced personal injury law offices practicing in the city of Marietta. For over 20 years we have represented the victims of falls and we have built up a name as the “Strong Arm of Georgia” by taking on the insurance companies and winning. Don’t let your injury take over your life. Give us a call and let us give you a free consultation to discuss your options for a financial recovery. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free case evaluation today.
How do I know if I have a valid slip and fall case?
If you fell and were injured through no fault of your own, chances are good that you have a case. This is true on public property, at a business, in someone’s home or anywhere else. No matter how you fell, it’s important that you don’t rush to blame yourself. Many fall victims worry that they were just “clumsy” or that they should have been paying better attention, but this is not how the law sees slip and fall injuries. Most falls are caused by a hazard or obstacle, and could have been prevented if the obstacle wasn’t there. That means you are not at fault.
Here’s a common example. let’s say you’re in the food court area of a shopping mall. Someone recently mopped the floor, which is a smooth tile surface. Unfortunately, they did not put up a “Wet Floor” sign, or they only put one at the opposite end of the food court. They also didn’t close off the area to foot traffic. You don’t realize the floor is wet, and you slip on it, falling and breaking your wrist. The accident is not your fault—it was caused because the mall staff did not properly mark out a potential slipping hazard.
Other common slip and fall accidents include:
- Slipping on a spilled product in a store
- Tripping on uneven concrete or cracks in a poorly maintained walkway
- Stumbling on an unmarked step
- Tripping in a poorly lit area
- Falling on stairs where there is no railing or the railing is faulty
These are all examples of what the law considered “premises liability” cases. In other words, the owner or management of any premises has a legal duty to make it safe for people who use that place. If they fail to do this they have been negligent, and they are liable for any injuries caused by their negligence. As a result their insurance policy must pay for the costs of your injury.
to find a John Foy office near you
What steps should I take after a slip and fall accident in Marietta?
The best thing you can do after any injury is to be your own best advocate. This simply means taking steps to document what happened and protect your rights. Some of the ways you can do this include:
- Tell someone about the injury right away. If you were injured in a store or business, tell a manager or the owner (not just a regular employee). Ask for their contact information so you can get a hold of them in the future. In a private home, make sure the owner knows you were hurt.
- Take pictures. All injury cases follow a simple rule: the more documentation, the better. At a minimum, take pictures of the injury you sustained. If possible, it also helps to take pictures or video of the place where it happened, including any hazards. Showing the overall area helps show whether the hazard was signposted in any way.
- Speak to witnesses. Ask if anyone in the area saw what happened. If so, ask if you can get their names and contact information. Any eyewitness account will help your case.
- Go to a doctor. Seeing a doctor right away does two very important things. First, it makes sure you get the treatment you need if your injury is more serious than you think it is—which is common. Two, it creates a record that you knew right away that you had suffered an injury and that is was worthy of medical attention. This leaves the insurance company with no way to argue that your injury is less serious than you claim.
Remember, insurance companies do not want to pay out claims—even when they are legitimate. They will look for any reason to deny or minimize your claim, and they will use your own words against you if they can. Do not apologize for falling, and do not downplay your injury at any time.
Marietta Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What should I do if I fell at a loved one’s home?
You can still receive a full financial recovery no matter where the accident happened. Often, the victims we speak to are hesitant to file a claim because they don’t want to “blame” their friend or relative. You don’t have to blame anyone. Your claim is between you and the insurance company, and your friend does not have to pay out of pocket for your injuries.
How long do I have to file a claim in Marietta?
The City of Marietta follows deadlines set by both Georgia state law and federal law. The exact deadlines depend on the nature of your case—some injuries will have up to to years to file, while others may have only a few months. If you miss the deadline, the local courts can and will refuse to hear your case. This is why it’s so important to talk to a lawyer immediately.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Marietta, call 404-400-4000
Talk to a Marietta Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
There is no reason to pay big money for an injury that isn’t your fault. John Foy & Associates has been helping slip & fall injury victims for over 20 years, and we offer a FREE consultation to discuss your case. This consultation is your chance to get your questions answered and decide on the next steps. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.