In Marietta, everyone who owns a vehicle must carry insurance. In fact, it’s state law. But some people don’t do what the law requires, and that means that about 12 percent of Georgia’s vehicles are uninsured. If you’re in an accident, you’ve got about a 1 in 9 chance that the driver who was at fault didn’t bother to get insurance. Or you may learn that the other driver only had minimal coverage that won’t come close to paying the full cost of the accident. But this doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to recover money to compensate you for your injuries or vehicle repairs. You have a right to recover your expenses and other damages, even if the other driver has no insurance, but you need to talk to a Marietta uninsured motorist accident attorney as soon as possible.
At John Foy & Associates, we can help you recover money for your accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. For the past 20 years, we have focused solely on helping accident and injury victims get the money they need to heal from their injuries and move on with their lives. In many cases, we have recovered money from uninsured drivers. It’s against the law to be uninsured, and you shouldn’t have to foot the bill for someone else’s bad decision. Call John Foy & Associates and get a free consultation to discuss your case. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What can I get from an uninsured motorist in Marietta?
In the City of Marietta and across Georgia, the person who causes a car accident is 100% responsible for the costs of the accident, including such things as medical bills and vehicle repairs. This is true even if they don’t have insurance. You may also be eligible for substantial other “damages.” We commonly see costs and damages awarded for:
- The cost of doctors, specialists, medical tests and hospitals
- Medicines prescribed by doctor
- Cost of therapy and rehabilitation to help you recover
- Auto repairs
- The pay you lost when you had to stay home from your job because of the accident
In some cases, accident victims also receive money to compensate them for severe pain, ongoing disabilities or other serious consequences of their accidents. Judges know that money can never compensate you for all the things you’ve lost. However, this money can relieve financial stress and give you some stability as you move forward with your recovery.
to find a John Foy office near you
What if I have an accident in Marietta and the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
Your first priority is to take care of yourself, and that may mean getting immediate medical treatment for yourself and anyone else involved in the accident. But we also suggest you act quickly to protect your rights. The driver who caused the accident may make things up, try to avoid blame, or even claim the accident was your fault. Here are some ways to be your own advocate:
- Get a police report. Uninsured drivers in particular may try to convince you that there’s no need to call the police. But under Georgia law, you must report all accidents in which there’s an injury or serious property damage. A police report will show that you did your legal duty and it will also be evidence of what happened.
- Don’t panic or get angry. No matter what the other driver says or does, try to stay calm and collected. Especially when talking to law enforcement, you want to seem reasonable and responsible. Anything you say can be used against you later, so don’t try to justify your actions, and don’t ever apologize or take the blame if you didn’t cause the accident.
- Snap some photos. Photographs can be important evidence that show what happened. Be sure to get pictures of the scene, the damage to ALL vehicles, and your injuries.
- Speak with witnesses. If there are people who were nearby or stopped to help, ask if they saw what happened. Get their names and contact information. They could be valuable witnesses later on.
- Get medical attention. Even if you don’t think you were really hurt, go see a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Many car accident injuries start out minor, but evolve into something worse. In addition, your claim will be more believable if you saw a doctor right away.
Finally, it’s wise to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. Uninsured motorist cases are often complex, and you will probably need a lawyer’s help to recover money.
Marietta Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-800-4408
How do I get money from an uninsured motorist?
The procedure you’ll follow depends on the particular circumstances of your case. All drivers in Marietta are required by law to have a minimum amount of insurance coverage:
- At least $25,000 for bodily injuries for each victim
- At least $50,000 in total bodily injury coverage
- At least $25,000 in property damage insurance
In a serious accident, medical bills alone can be in the high tens of thousands of dollars, and the cost of replacing a vehicle can be almost as great—far exceeding the minimum insurance amounts. The local courts frequently must decide cases where there was insurance, but not enough. In those cases, judges can order the money paid in other ways, such as:
- Though your own insurance policy’s uninsured and underinsured motorist protection
- Through other insurance policies that may cover the cost of the accident
- By ordering the driver who’s at fault to pay you from his or her own money
- By putting a lien on the guilty driver’s real estate, vehicle or other property
The most important step you can take is to get legal advice right away. A good uninsured motorist accident attorney can evaluate your case, advise you on your options, and make the legal process as easy as possible.
Talk to a Marietta Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, our philosophy is that no accident victim should have to go it alone. We offer a free consultation to explain your legal rights and discuss your choices. And we don’t charge you a cent unless we are able to get you money. Don’t suffer the consequences of an uninsured motorist’s bad decisions. Call 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.