Losing a loved one to an act of negligence should never go unanswered. Filing a claim for accidental death is emotionally and painfully charged. At John Foy & Associates, our Marietta wrongful death lawyers are dedicated to providing compassionate representation.
We have years of experience helping people through the most difficult times of their lives. Our legal team is committed to holding negligent parties accountable for the loss of your loved one. We handle your case with the respect and dignity it deserves.
Why Experienced Representation Matters in Your Wrongful Death Case
Wrongful death claims are complex. Most families who have lost a loved one are unfamiliar with the wrongful death claim process. Given the highly emotional nature of these cases, families need representation they can trust.
At John Foy & Associates, we understand that no amount of financial compensation can make up for your loss. However, filing a wrongful death claim can help you and your family move on by providing closure. Any compensation you receive can be used to help ease any burdens left by your loved one’s death.
Grief can be impacted by unanswered questions when we lose a loved one. A Marietta wrongful death lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation and help answer any unresolved matters. Also, by holding the negligent party accountable, your claim may be able to prevent a similar accident from happening in the future.
to find a John Foy office near you
Most Commonly Filed Types of Wrongful Death Claims in Marietta
Losing a loved one is tragic under any circumstance. However, accidental deaths resulting from negligence can be particularly mentally and emotionally difficult. If you have lost a family member or spouse, our compassionate wrongful death lawyers in Marietta can help families who have suffered losses in the following accidents:
- Defective products and product liability
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites and attacks
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Uninsured motorist accidents
- Birth injuries
- Occupational exposure and hazards
- Premises accidents
- Child daycare accidents
- Accidents involving field trips and supervised activities
- Accidental drowning
- Nursing home and long-term care facility accidents
- Intentional acts of violence
According to the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional injuries are the leading cause of death for Americans under 40 years. If you have lost a loved one and have questions about the qualifications of your claim, our skilled legal team will help you determine the best course of action.
Marietta Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
The Key Elements in a Successful Wrongful Death Case in Georgia
Every wrongful death claim is unique, factoring in multiple variables to establish liability. In many cases, the responsible party is apparent, like a drunk driving collision or a doctor operating under the influence of alcohol. The following four factors must be met for an accidental death to qualify for a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Negligence: A wrongful death can only exist if it was caused by reckless or careless behavior. When establishing if a person acted with reason or neglect, the actions of others in similar situations are compared.
- Breach of duty: The term, breach of duty, refers to the responsibility of the defendant to keep the plaintiff safe from harm. For example, a grocery store has a duty of care to shoppers to keep them safe.
- Causation: After proving that the act was negligent and that a duty of care was violated, you must establish that the act caused the death of your loved one.
- Damages: Damages in a wrongful death claim will revolve around the death of your loved one and the tangible and intangible costs
For instance, suppose a shopper in a grocery aisle trips and falls over unattended boxes and other hazards left in the walkway. The shopper suffers fatal traumatic brain injuries and a hip fracture. In this example, clutter in the walkway is a negligent act, there is a duty of care for the grocer to keep customers safe, and the grocer fails in that duty when the shopper suffers fatal injuries.
Possible Damages in a Marietta Wrongful Death Case
Wrongful death claims are an important aspect of the justice system, deterring others from negligent acts. Wrongful death suits allow family members to achieve justice on their loved one’s behalf. In addition, a wrongful death claim can give surviving family members:
- Prevent future deaths by bringing attention to the negligent act
- Help achieve closure so they can grieve
- Gain answers to questions that linger after a tragedy
Consulting an experienced wrongful death attorney in Marietta to determine the recoverable damages for your claim is a crucial component. The most common damages involve:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of consortium
- Other unforeseen expenses
No amount of compensation can ease your pain after the sudden loss of a loved one. Instead, the monetary damages recovered in a wrongful death claim can aid funeral costs and other unexpected expenses.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Marietta, call 404-400-4000
Contact a Marietta Wrongful Death Attorney for Help
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s careless or intentional act, we can help. Known as the “Strong Arm” of John Foy & Associates, founding attorney John M. Foy has built his firm around collaboration, support, and encouragement. Our wrongful death attorneys in Marietta will handle your claim with dignity.
We have a long history of transparent, ethical representation. Our dedicated legal team is here to help. When you need compassionate, personal attention and aggressive advocation, contact our office to discuss the details of your case.