Buses provide transportation for many people in the Mableton community. CobbLinc is the most popular of the public buses servicing the area, although there are various other providers in the area, ranging from smaller trolleys and shuttle buses to big motorcoaches for long-distance travel. If you are in a bus accident as a passenger or another vehicle occupant while in Mableton, you may be eligible for compensation.
Liability for Bus Accident Injuries and Losses
Bus accidents create unique liability issues. In most cases, a bus passenger cannot be liable for the events leading up to an accident and thus they are eligible for compensation for any losses they may incur if they suffer injuries. However, who a passenger can seek that compensation from is not always clear and will depend on the facts of each case.
The Bus Driver
A bus driver is responsible for their own actions. When it is the bus driver’s negligence that leads to an accident, they are liable for the damage they cause. Bus driver negligence can include driving while drunk, distracted driving, reckless driving, or driving a bus while suffering from fatigue.
The Bus Company
While the bus driver is directly responsible for an accident, their employer is liable for their negligence under the doctrine of vicarious liability. Bus companies are often responsible for the damage caused by their drivers and may also be liable if an outside factor such as a bus maintenance failure or lack of training contributed to the accident.
The blame for a bus accident may not always fall on the bus driver. When there are other vehicles involved in a crash, it is possible that the other driver’s negligence caused or contributed to the crash. It is also not uncommon for a determination of fault for a bus accident to apportion fault to multiple parties, further broadening the options for a passenger to seek compensation for their bus accident injury damages.
Get the strong arm
How Can an Attorney Help You in a Bus Accident Case?
Many bus passengers believe that, since it is unlikely they could be at fault for an accident, they should have a relatively easy time seeking the compensation they need after a bus crash. Keep in mind that when you are a bus passenger victim of a bus accident there is likely to be a number of other victims similar to you. The multiple bus accident victims can create challenges for you to recover the entirety of your losses and may interfere with your rights to compensation depending on the insurance coverage available and limitations on a policy.
When you choose to hire a bus accident lawyer in Mableton, you can rest assured knowing your own personal interests are represented against the at-fault party and insurance company rather than being lumped into a group of other bus victims. Your attorney will help you calculate your losses and fight insurers for fair and reasonable compensation for your damages. Without a bus accident attorney, you are at the mercy of the insurance company and other competing interests whose focus is on minimizing money losses and closing out a claim or case as quickly as possible.
Benefits a Bus Accident Attorney in Mableton Will Provide for Their Clients
There are many moving parts to a bus accident insurance claim or potential lawsuit. It is an overwhelming task for a victim to protect their rights and demand the compensation they deserve from the individual or party responsible for their bus accident injuries.
The following are some of the most valuable benefits of hiring a bus accident attorney:
- Individualized representation of your legal rights
- Management of all communications from parties in a bus accident case
- Accurate calculation of your damages
- Assessment of fault for the accident and discovery of all parties that may be liable
- Experienced negotiations to try to reach a successful settlement without having to go to court
- Building a strong base of evidence and support for liability of the accident and your injuries
Types of Compensation You May Be Able to Get After a Bus Accident
The damages of a bus accident victim will be different in each individual case. The severity of injuries you suffer in a bus accident and the impact of those injuries on your day-to-day life and future will ultimately influence how much money you are able to seek in your case. Compensation for bus accident damages can include monetary losses and certain non-monetary losses under the law.
Damages in a bus accident case can include:
- Doctor bills
- Emergency medical care expenses
- Bills from hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and other medical facilities
- Costs of prescription and treatment
- Your loss of income because of missed workdays
- Loss of income in the future because of your injuries
- Disability compensation for permanent, temporary, or partial disability
- Pain and suffering from the injury-causing event
- Emotional and mental distress due to the accident and the realization of your injuries
- Loss of quality of life
- Wrongful death compensation for surviving family if a loved one dies in a bus accident
After a Bus Collision, Take These Steps to Protect Yourself
As a frequent bus passenger, you may not think about what you might need to do if you are ever in a bus accident. Springing into action after an accident can help to keep yourself safe at the scene of a bus crash and protect the rights you have under the law.
- Get to safety as quickly as you can.
- Call the police and emergency medical services.
- Take photographs and video of the scene and damage, if you are able to safely.
- Go to the ER or doctor for a thorough medical evaluation.
- Follow the treatment plan for your injuries.
Contact a Mableton Bus Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Call a Mableton bus accident attorney as soon as you can after a crash. The sooner you hire a lawyer to represent you in a bus accident case, the sooner you can have the peace of mind that your legal rights are being considered and protected.
404-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form