Every time a motorcyclist gets on the road, they are endangered by other drivers. When an accident happens, it often means high medical bills for the motorcyclist. The Georgia Department of Driver Services finds that hospital and ER charges for motorcycle accidents in Georgia totaled $221 million in 2019.
Some people don’t know how to treat motorcyclists with the care and respect they deserve. If someone else caused your accident, you shouldn’t have to deal with the burden of medical bills. A personal injury attorney in Forest Park from John Foy & Associates can help you recover compensation for your damages.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Forest Park
Because motorcycle accidents are often much more severe and dangerous than other traffic accidents, your first priority should be your own health and safety after a crash. Get yourself and, if possible, your motorcycle to a safe position and call an ambulance for any immediately dangerous injury.
If you are able to, there are some things that you can do to help ensure that you have a strong motorcycle accident claim. After a motorcycle accident, you should:
- Call the police. First, it always helps to have first responders on the scene to help make sure everyone is safe. You’ll also need an official accident report for your claim, so make sure to get one from the police on the scene or from your nearest police station.
- Talk to the other party. For your claim, you’ll also need the other party’s contact information and the name of their insurance company. Just be careful to not tell them too much and never admit that you may have had fault in your accident.
- Talk to witnesses. If there was anyone else who saw what happened in your motorcycle crash, you should also get their names and contact information. Your attorney may want to contact them later down the line.
- Gather evidence. Our personal injury lawyers are trained to gather their own evidence, but anything you can do at the scene like taking pictures or videos can help.
- Write down what you remember happening. Writing down your own account of events may seem redundant, but it’s best to do so while the memory is still fresh in your mind. There may be details that you end up forgetting or getting mixed up on later.
- Be wary of the insurance company. There will be insurance adjusters and attorneys that try to talk to you about your accident. Do not tell them anything they don’t need to know and do not sign anything until you’ve talked to your own lawyer first.
- Call a motorcycle accident attorney. You should have someone by your side to protect you from other parties that want to reduce your settlement. An attorney can make sure that you’re acting in your own best interest.
You can get a free consultation with one of our Forest Park motorcycle accident lawyers, so there’s no risk in at least talking with us. Don’t wait too long to act on your motorcycle accident claim.
Get the strong arm
Common Injuries in a Motorcycle Crash
When they’re on the road, motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than other motorists. They don’t have the same metal frame or airbags, so their injuries can often be unique and much more severe. Common injuries in a motorcycle accident include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal bleeding
Even if your injuries seem minor or you don’t notice any injury at all, if you were in a motorcycle accident, you should go to the doctor. Injuries can often hide under the surface and become worse and worse as time goes on. You should get treated as soon as possible.
You shouldn’t have to worry about your hospital bills if someone else was at fault for your accident. An attorney could be able to get compensation to pay for your medical bills and more.
Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim
Compensation in any accident claim is based on the damages that the other party caused, either by negligence or intentional wrongdoing. Your lawyer will need to gather convincing evidence that not only shows who was at fault, but also how the other party’s actions affected you.
Damages in a motorcycle accident injury claim can include:
- Medical expenses
- Missed work
- Property damage
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
If a loved one died from their injuries in a motorcycle accident, you can file a claim on their behalf. You could be able to recover compensation for their pain and suffering, as well as the costs associated with their treatment and their funeral. A wrongful death lawyer from our firm can help.
At your initial consultation, your attorney will be able to assess your case and tell you what damages you may be able to recover, as well as how much your settlement might be. Once you agree to hire them, they will get to work to show that you deserve to be compensated.
How Much does a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Forest Park Cost?
There is no flat fee for motorcycle accident lawyers in Forest Park. However, we can tell you one thing for sure: our lawyers will never charge you until they get you compensation. That’s because our firm uses contingency fees, which means our payment comes from a portion of your compensation.
Our contingency fee policy means you won’t have to worry about paying for a lawyer who doesn’t get results or costs more than they will get you. Before one of our attorneys gets to work on your case, they will come to an agreement with you as to how they will get paid when they get you the compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Forest Park Today
Your accident was serious, and we will take your claim seriously. We realize the risks that motorcyclists make every day and the burden that comes with medical bills and repairs after a crash. The Forest Park motorcycle accident lawyers at John Foy & Associates can handle the legal details while you focus on resting and recovering.
To get your FREE initial consultation with our attorneys, call us or contact us online. One meeting could be the first step to moving on from your accident.