Any accident on the road can cause major problems. Bus accidents, though, can be especially bad. In fact, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), fatal bus crashes have been on the rise since 2009. Even if a bus crash is relatively minor, it can still mean steep bills and weeks or months of lost work.
That’s why you should consider hiring a personal injury attorney in Forest Park from John Foy & Associates to help if you’ve been in a bus crash involving a negligent driver. By hiring the help of a skilled lawyer, you could be taking the first step toward being compensated for your damages and moving past your accident.
What to Do If You’ve Been in a Bus Accident
Always keep in mind that, after a bus accident, your safety is the most important thing. If you need immediate medical attention, get it, and make sure that you remove yourself from any danger. Once you’ve done that, there are some steps that you can take that can help you protect your rights and better your chances of having a successful bus accident claim.
After a bus accident in Forest Park, you should:
- Document the accident. This can include taking pictures or videos of the scene of the crash, writing down your account of events while they’re still fresh in your mind, and talking to other witnesses.
- Report the accident. It’s a good idea to let your insurance company know about your crash. However, when you do report the accident, don’t let them know anything more than the basic details.
- Be careful who you talk to. There may be certain parties like the other side’s lawyers or the insurance company that will try to use your words against you to reduce your compensation.
- Keep any police records, bills, and receipts related to your accident.
- Make note of any income you lose out on because you have to miss work while you recover.
- Contact a bus accident attorney in Forest Park as soon as you can, and don’t sign anything until you have a lawyer look at it.
When you contact a lawyer from our Georgia law firm, the first thing they will do is give you a free consultation. During that initial meeting, they will listen to your story, assess your case, and tell you what steps you can take to recover the damages you lost because of your accident.
Get the strong arm
Bus Driver Negligence
In many bus accidents, the bus driver is the negligent party, and they, their company, or their company’s insurance company are liable for your damages. Scenarios in which bus drivers are negligent include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while exhausted
When a bus driver is on the road, they owe other drivers and their own passengers what is known as a “standard of care.” That standard is the level to which anyone in a certain profession can be reasonably expected to treat others. If a bus driver breaches the standard of care in any way, they are considered negligent.
A skilled Forest Park bus accident lawyer will be able to show how the bus driver, or whichever party caused the accident, was negligent, and how they are liable for your damages.
Damages You Could Get in a Bus Accident
In any personal injury case, your compensation will depend on specific damages caused by your accident. According to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) § 51-1-6, you can collect compensation for those damages when they were caused by the other party breaching their standard of care.
Your damages can range from economic damages (that affected you financially) or non-economic damages (that affected your quality of life). Damages you can recover in a bus accident case can include:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages due to missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
The actual amount of money that you receive from your bus accident settlement will depend on the extent of your injuries, as well as how much fault you had in the accident. To find out how much you could expect, you can always talk to a personal injury lawyer for free at our firm.
How a Bus Accident Lawyer in Forest Park Can Help You
Having a bus accident lawyer by your side means having someone there who can lend years of experience and advanced negotiation skills to your claim. Without a personal injury attorney in Forest Park, your chances of compensation could be significantly reduced.
To ensure that you have the best chances possible of getting compensation for your damages, your lawyer will:
- Investigate your case. That will include gathering any evidence they can that shows that your damages were caused by someone else’s negligence.
- Calculate your damages. They will take into account both expenses you’ve already incurred and those that you’ll have to pay in the future.
- Negotiate with the insurance company to make sure they don’t take advantage of you.
- Fight for you in court, if necessary. Usually, bus accident claims are settled outside of court, but if negotiations break down during the settlement process, your lawyer will represent you during the trial.
Maybe the best thing about any of your lawyer’s services is that they won’t cost you anything up front. That’s because our team works on a contingency-fee basis, which means they only get paid if you get compensation.
Talk to a Forest Park Bus Accident Attorney Today
After a bus accident, you may find yourself paying expensive bills for medical treatment and car repair. The Forest Park bus accident lawyers at John Foy & Associates can help with those bills. We’ve been serving Georgians for over 20 years, and we know what to do to get you the best settlement possible.
To get your FREE initial consultation, call us today or contact us online. We’re available to talk 24 hours a day, seven days a week.