If you have a job in Warner Robins, you are probably covered by workers compensation insurance—even if you don’t know it. Workers compensation applies to most employees, from executives to entry level and part time workers.
If you are injured on the job, workers compensation insurance is supposed to pay you benefits. But insurance companies will do everything they can to deny your claim or pay you as little as possible. Their tactics include telling you your injuries aren’t as bad as you say they are, questioning how you were injured, or even sending you to a doctor who isn’t looking out of your best interests. This can leave you struggling physically and financially, even though the law guarantees you benefits. If you or someone you care about was injured at work, talk with a Warner Robins workers compensation lawyer right away.
John Foy & Associates has spent the past 20 years helping injured workers get the money they are legally entitled to. We know how to present your claim to the workers compensation insurance companies to get them to pay you ALL the money you need for your injury. We’d like to give you a free consultation to review your claim and explain your rights. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What is workers compensation?
The government established the workers compensation system to protect people who are injured on the job. Commonly known as “workers comp,” the program has two main objectives:
- To make sure injured workers get needed medical care and financial support
- To bypass the usual slow, expensive system of lawsuits.
Workers compensation laws require all employers to take out a workers compensation policy for their workers. If you are injured at your job, the policy will cover your injuries.
It’s important to know two things about workers comp:
- It isn’t a government handout. Your employer paid for an insurance policy, and most of the premiums were paid through deductions from employees’ paychecks.
- You are entitled to workers comp benefits for any injury that happened in your workplace, whether it was related to your job or not.
to find a John Foy office near you
What will my workers compensation claim pay for?
Workers comp is designed to pay for ALL the costs of a workplace injury, and this includes the time you missed from work because you were injured. Most injured workers can get these benefits:
- The cost of medical treatment from hospitals, doctors and others
- Prescription medication expenses
- The cost of physical therapy to help you recover
- The cost of vocational training you might need to get back to work
- Mileage costs for driving to and from medical appointments
- A paycheck while you are out of work. The check will be less than you’re usually paid, but it will be tax-free.
If your injury leaves you with any sort of disability or permanent condition, you may receive additional benefits. If a loved one died in a workplace accident, there are benefits for immediate family members. These devastating losses can’t be cured by money alone, but we hope that financial benefits can ease your burden and help you move forward with your life.
Warner Robins Workers Compensation Lawyer Near Me 478-400-4000
What types of injuries are covered by workers compensation in Warner Robins?
The rule is simple: if the injury happened at work, it is covered.
- It doesn’t matter who or what caused the injury.
- It doesn’t matter how the injury occurred.
- The injury does not have to be related to the work you do. Tripping on stairs is covered just the same as being injured while operating piece of equipment.
- You do not have to blame anyone or argue about who is at fault.
Workplace injuries can happen in any business or industry, but many of the injuries we see come from the construction industry. Construction workers are at risk for falling, being hit by falling debris, equipment injuries, and electrical shock. Other occupations where we see workers compensation claims include food and beverage workers, delivery drivers and office employees.
What injuries are NOT covered by workers comp?
Most of the time, an injury must have happened at your place of employment or it will not be covered. However, there are situations where an off-site injury will still fall within workers comp. For example, you may be eligible for benefits if you were injured in one of these situations:
- On business travel
- While driving a company vehicle
- While off-site running an errand for your employer
- At a work meeting away from your office or job site
- While you were working remotely
Injuries in your employer’s parking lot or sidewalk may also be covered. However, if you were injured while commuting to or from work, you probably will not have coverage.
For a free legal consultation with a workers compensation lawyer serving Warner Robins, call 478-400-4000
What about psychological or emotional conditions?
Workers compensation covers the consequences of physical injuries that happen at work. If you are physically injured and have mental health issues as result of those injuries, workers comp will pay for both your physical and psychological treatment. If, however, you have psychological wounds without any physical injuries (perhaps because you witnessed someone else’s horrible accident), workers comp will not cover your psychological treatment.
Will I have to file a lawsuit against my employer?
No. One of the major benefits of workers compensation in the City of Warner Robins is that it replaces the slow and expensive lawsuit system for workplace injuries. You cannot sue your employer. This has some clear benefits for workers:
- You don’t have to wait as long to get benefits
- You don’t risk losing in court
- You don’t have to go up against your employer in the courtroom—the claim is handled by the insurance company.
Many workers fear retaliation from their employers if they file a workers compensation claim. In fact, we find that most employers are supportive and happy to see their workers get the care they need. It’s the insurance companies that drag their feet and do everything they can to avoid paying. A good lawyer can help you with this.
Talk to a Warner Robins Workers Compensation Lawyer for Free
If you are injured at work, you have rights. At John Foy & Associates, we can help you get money through a workers compensation claim. We’d like to give you a free consultation to talk about your claim and get you started on getting the money you deserve. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.