The use of commercial motor vehicles, including flatbed trucks, continues to increase, posing a rising threat to local commuters and pedestrians. With multiple highway systems serving interstate routes through Macon, it is likely that a driver or pedestrian encounters flatbed trucks many times throughout a daily commute introducing the potential to being exposed to the hazards that can accompany flatbed trucks.
When you need the dedicated experience of a Macon flatbed truck accident attorney, John Foy & Associates have the knowledge and background to help you successfully navigate the legal pitfalls that often deprive injured motorists and pedestrians of the compensation that is owed them by insurance companies who know how to successfully minimize their payouts to flatbed truck accident victims.
A Macon truck accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options. Call or fill out our online contact form to learn more.
The Dangers of Flatbed Truck Transportation
Hazards to vehicles, motorists, and pedestrians traveling simultaneously on the same roadways with flatbed trucks greatly increase as large, open beds are used to transport and accommodate heavy, oversized loads across the country. These threats leave motorists and pedestrians in a vulnerable position when safety is not a priority, from loading the flatbed truck to load delivery completion.
Understanding these dangers and the harm they cause is best navigated by a flatbed truck accident attorney in Macon who not only understands the guidelines governing the use of flatbed trucks to transport goods but the state and federal laws that are in place to keep the roadways safe that you travel each day. In addition to poor weather conditions, poor road maintenance, and driver error, the hazards of flatbed truck transportation include but are not limited to:
- Improper loading: It is vital that a flatbed truck is loaded properly to account for weight distribution or potential overloading that can lead to the inability to properly operate a flatbed without the increased risk of tipping over.
- Improper maintenance: Without proper maintenance, the tires, braking systems, and all mechanical systems of a flatbed truck are subject to malfunctioning while in use, not only disabling the flatbed truck but posing multiple hazards for motorists and pedestrians traveling within proximity to the flatbed truck.
- Improper Security: Failing to properly restrain cargo during transportation with strapping and stabilization devices creates the potential for roadway hazards and damage by projectile objects when a flatbed truck loses its cargo while in motion.
- Rear-end collisions: As the weight of the load increases, deceleration decreases, thus making it more difficult for flatbed trucks to stop, according to the US Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Administration. In addition, oversized loads that extend further than the flatbed trailer without proper flagging pose additional threats for rear-end collisions.
- Jackknifing: Jackknifing occurs when the flatbed of the truck becomes misaligned with the truck’s cab while in motion causing the driver to lose control of the flatbed often dislodging the flatbed of the truck from the cab.
Get the strong arm
Damages Incurred in Flatbed Truck Accidents in Macon
It is imperative to contact a Macon flatbed truck accident lawyer when a motorist or pedestrian is involved in an accident involving a flatbed truck. Comprehending what has happened and the shock that follows involvement in an accident often impairs a person’s ability to assess the damages that are incurred. Often, these damages are not obvious during the initial altercation and only surface days, weeks, or months after the accident, and John Foy & Associates is the compassionate team that works to collect, document, and require accountability in the event of a flatbed truck accident.
The damages listed below are examples of but not an exhaustive list of reasons for compensation.
- Medical bills: From the moment an accident occurs to your final follow-up with a physician, medical debt begins to accrue in many forms but not limited to ambulance or medical flight services, hospital admissions, lab orders, physical and/or occupational therapy, and follow-up visits. Depending on the severity of your injuries, it can be impossible to determine the extent and length of the medical treatment that a patient receives, and according to reporting by National Public Radio (NPR), the accumulated costs can be staggering even for the most insured, prepared motorist.
- Property damage: Vehicle damage is often the most obvious form of damage when a car, truck, or motorcycle is involved in an accident involving a flatbed truck. But the contents in, on, or attached to a vehicle or motorist are other items that are often forgotten and sometimes lost during the accident or in transit during the vehicle recovery process when an auto repair shop takes control of your vehicle.
- Loss of wages: Loss of wages can cause debilitating anxiety as medical bills begin to accrue after an accident. Compensation for this loss can take time, furthering trauma and stress.
- Emotional stress: The emotional hardship brought on by a loss of health, mounting medical bills, property damage, and loss of work and wages can contribute to situational depression or exacerbate depressive states. Understanding, documenting, and proving these unseen damages is best handled by a trained flatbed truck accident lawyer in Macon.
The First Steps Are the Most Important Steps You Take
After a crash:
- Ensuring the health and safety of motorists and pedestrians is paramount when involved in an accident. Call 911 so that emergency medical services (EMS) and law enforcement are dispatched accurately to the proper location of the accident in Macon.
- According to Georgia §40-6-275, vehicles involved in minor accidents should be moved to the shoulder of the highway so that lanes accommodating moving traffic are not blocked. If you are injured, a fatality occurs, or there is significant damage preventing the removal of a vehicle from the highway, stay where you are and wait for law enforcement and emergency vehicles.
- It is the job of local authorities to assess the events of an accident. Limit your contact with other drivers involved in the accident.
Ensuring Representation for Macon Flatbed Truck Accidents
Businesses and corporations spare no expense to make sure they have the representation they need when a flatbed truck in their fleet is involved in an accident. The only way to receive equal representation under the law and receive the maximum compensation from insurance companies is by reaching out to John Foy and Associates. Their team embodies the experience, knowledge, compassion, and dedication needed in Macon, GA when you’re involved in a flatbed truck accident.