Slipping and falling might not seem like a big deal—but it often is. While some falls are minor, many slipping and falling incidents can lead to severe injuries that impact your day-to-day life. If you’ve been a victim of falling in Suwanee, it’s important to know your legal rights. You may be able to recover for expenses related to the fall, such as medical bills. To learn more, talk to a Suwanee slip and fall lawyer today.
At John Foy & Associates, we have some of the best, most experienced slip and fall lawyers in Georgia. For more than 20 years, we’ve been helping slip and fall victims get the money, treatment and outcome they deserve. We care about your well-being, we listen to your concerns, and we get you results. And we offer you a FREE consultation. Call us at 404-400-4000 or complete the form to the right to talk about your case for free today.
What is a slip and fall claim?
Property owners are required by law to keep their premises maintained—including keeping lighting adequate, fixing holes or cracks in sidewalks, taking care of water leaks, and anything else that could pose a hazard to those on the property. If the property owner’s “negligence” (failure to upkeep the property) leads to an accident, like a slip and fall, they can be held accountable for injuries or damages that result.
Accidents due to negligence on a property can lead to serious injuries, including head trauma, back and knee injuries, broken bones, and even spinal cord damage. Medical treatment for these conditions can be lengthy and costly. If you’ve slipped and fallen on personal or commercial property, you may be eligible to file a slip and fall claim.
to find a John Foy office near you
What damages can I recover in a slip and fall claim?
A slip and fall is a type of personal injury claim, and you can recover financial damages for costs including:
- Medical bills for conditions including head, brain, back, or spine injuries, joint or nerve damage, or broken bones as a result of the slip and fall
- Hospitalizations and rehabilitation
- Income lost due to the slip and fall
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Emotional trauma and loss of support or companionship
Suwanee Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What kinds of hazards are most common in slip and fall cases?
The most common causes of slip and fall incidents include:
- Uneven surfaces
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Uneven steps or pavement
- Torn carpeting
- Unmarked step up/step down on stairs
- No railing or a loose railing on stairs
- Poorly lit stairwells
- Building structural defects
- Products that were spilled but not cleaned up
- Low guard rails on balconies
Who is liable for a slip and fall injury in Suwanee?
If you slip and fall on a property due to the owner’s negligence, they can be liable for your injury.
To prove the owner’s negligence led to your slip and fall, you must prove ONE of three things:
- That the property owner (or employee) was directly responsible for the hazard that caused the slip and fall,
- Or that they knew about the danger but didn’t do anything about it,
- OR that they didn’t know about the danger, but it was reasonable for someone else in their situation to know about the risk.
If the incident is proven to be their fault, they could be responsible for paying your medical expenses and much more. An attorney can help you determine if enough evidence exists to prove negligence.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Suwanee, call 404-400-4000
I slipped and fell at work. Do I have a valid claim?
It depends on how it happened. For example:
- If you slipped and fell while at your workplace, you potentially have a valid claim. However, in Georgia you typically can’t bring a personal injury claim against your employer (although we can help you get money through workers compensation instead—which often means you can get the medical care you need fully covered without any lawsuit at all).
- That being said, if your slip and fall injury was caused by the negligence of a third party other than your employer, you might be able to seek compensation for damages through a personal injury claim.
- If you were working at someone’s home or on their private property when you fell (for example, a handyman doing a repair in a home), you may have a normal slip and fall case.
We can help you determine what kind of claim to file based on the specifics of your injury.
Will I have to sue anyone?
Some personal injury lawsuits, such as dog bites or traffic accidents, have a high success rate of settling without ever going to court, and often without filing a lawsuit—just an insurance claim. Slip and falls claims can fit into this category, but in many cases, your claim is against a large company with deep pockets—such as a store or retail chain. These companies and their insurers will often fight very hard against slip and fall claims, and are likely to attempt to blame you for your fall even if they clearly caused a hazard. This means there’s a good chance that we will need to file a lawsuit in order to pressure them to pay your claim.
That doesn’t necessarily mean you will ever go to court. Even with a lawsuit filed, the majority of claims are still settled through negotiation without ever having a trial in court.
Talk to a Suwanee Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we have a long history of winning cases for victims of personal injury, like slips and falls. We provide compassion, experience, and a listening ear to your unique situation, and we’re always on your side. We also won’t charge you a thing unless you get the money. If you’re ready to talk about your case today, we can offer you a FREE phone consultation. Give us a call at 404-400-4000 or complete the form to the right for your FREE consultation with our lawyers.