A slip and fall accident sounds like a minor mishap, but falls can cause serious injuries. We often see people in Stockbridge who have tripped, slipped or fallen down. These people come to our office with broken bones, torn ligaments, severe sprains and joint injuries that require costly prescription drugs or surgery—or both. They may already have missed weeks of work, all because of a seemingly simple fall. But if you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you don’t have to bear the financial burden of your injury. You may be entitled to a full financial recover, but you need to speak with a Stockbridge slip and fall lawyer.
John Foy & Associates has spent the last two decades helping victims of slip and fall accidents get the money they are legally entitled to. We began as a small local law office but have now grown into one of the biggest and most highly regarded law firms in the state of Georgia. Unlike other firms, we focus only on helping people who have been injured. Let us set up a free consultation to explain how our Stockbridge slip and fall accident lawyers can help you. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
Is my injury a legitimate slip and fall case?
If you were injured in a fall that wasn’t your fault, you probably have a valid case. It’s tempting to blame yourself for not seeing a hazard or for being clumsy, but chances are, the accident was not your fault. Slip and fall accidents usually happen because of an obstacle, a hazardous condition like poor lighting, or an unsafe condition like a slippery floor. When something else caused or contributed to your accident, it’s legally not your fault.
We see all sorts of slip and fall accidents. Some of the most common involve these types of hazards:
- A spilled drink or other product at a shop or restaurant
- Uneven pavement or sidewalks
- Unmarked steps
- Stairs that are slippery or don’t have proper railings
- Poorly lit areas where it’s easy to trip over an unseen object
- Railings and windows that aren’t secure
Legally, these are known as “premises liability” cases. Property owners are legally responsible for keeping their premises safe for visitors, including guests and customers. When property owners don’t live up to this obligation, they are “negligent.” This doesn’t mean they created a hazard on purpose or meant to hurt you. It just means they weren’t as careful as they should have been. When someone’s carelessness caused your accident, their insurance company is legally obligated to pay the costs of your injury.
to find a John Foy office near you
What steps should I take if I slip and fall in Stockbridge?
In any slip and fall situation, the best thing you can do is to advocate for yourself. You should do as much as you can to protect your rights while also making sure to get prompt medical treatment. Some of the ways to do this are:
- Report the accident immediately. If you are in a store or restaurant, tell the owner or manager—not just any employee—right away. Be sure to tell them you were injured when you fell. Get their contact information so you can follow up later.
- Take photos. Photos will help with your insurance claim because they are concrete evidence of what happened. Use your cell phone camera to photograph the scene, your injuries, and any hazards that caused or contributed to your fall.
- Look for witnesses. If you are in a public place, people may rush to help you. Find out if anyone saw your fall, or saw the dangerous condition that caused it. Bystanders may prove to be valuable witnesses on your behalf. Talk to them and try to get their contact information.
- Get medical treatment. There are two big reasons to see a doctor sooner rather than later. First, slip and fall injuries often appear minor at first, and then develop into something more serious. Getting early treatment can help minimize the severity. Second, insurance companies often argue that slip and fall victims’ injuries aren’t serious. When you see a doctor promptly, you show that you believed right away that you were badly hurt.
In addition, it’s important to recognize that no matter how friendly people seem, you must avoid telling anyone that the injury was your fault, or even apologizing to others for your fall. You can expect the insurance company to do everything possible to avoid paying your claim, and anything you say might be used against you later.
Stockbridge Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What if I fall at someone’s house?
Falling in a home is no different than falling in a store or restaurant—you still have a right to recover the full financial cost of your accident. But when people fall at the home of a friend or family member, they often worry that they’ll upset a loved one if they file an insurance claim. But your claim is only with the insurance company, not against your friend. It’s a private business matter between you and the insurer. And chances are, your friend will want you to get the medical care you need.
Does Stockbridge have a deadline for filing slip and fall claims?
Yes. All localities, including the City of Stockbridge, must follow deadlines established by state and federal laws. These deadlines, also known as statutes of limitations, vary depending on the precise circumstances of your case. In general:
- Most slip and fall victims must file their claims within two years
- But some victims have a deadline of only a few weeks
If you don’t file your claim before your deadline expires, the local courts will probably dismiss your case and you may lose all rights to recover money for your injury. In addition, when you wait a long time to file your claim, it can be harder to prove and win your case. The best way to avoid these problems is to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Stockbridge, call 404-400-4000
Talk to a Stockbridge Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
There’s no reason to pay out of pocket for an injury that was someone else’s fault. For more than 20 years, John Foy & Associates has been getting slip and fall victims the money they need and deserve. Let us give you a free consultation and show you what we can do for you. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.