The rideshare industry in Lithonia is still in its infancy, but it has seen exponential growth in recent years. The number of people using Lyft has increased exponentially, and so has the number of accidents associated with it. To ensure that you are protected when using this service, you have to understand your rights well.
The personal injury attorneys at John Foy & Associates understand the lawful ways to establish the party responsible for your Lyft crash and hold them accountable. We will help you get the compensation you deserve to continue with life after the Lyft accident. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation.
Who Is Responsible for Your Lyft Accident in Lithonia?
Whenever you are injured in a rideshare accident in Lithonia, the legal process of determining the party responsible depends on several factors. This includes:
- Was there a mechanical failure in your Lyft ride? Information from CCTV cameras or dash cameras within the car that captured the accident can help to show who was at fault and other details surrounding the accident.
- Was the vehicle involved in a DUI? This will help establish if responsibility lies with the carrier’s operations.
- What “period” did the crash occur? We will pursue your case to determine the period of ride operation. In some incidents, the driver is considered to be a separate party.
- Were there other people picked up after you had entered the vehicle? If other people were in the car that fateful day, they could be liable for subrogation (that suggests holding them accountable for responsibility after an accident).
- As a passenger, how serious were your injuries during the rideshare car accident? Assessing your injuries through a medical report will determine the insurance you will deal with.
- Was the other car in the accident insured by a different carrier? The critical question is to assess whether the other driver is held responsible for the accident and the settlement with their insurance carrier.
Get the strong arm
Parties Who Could Be Held Responsible for Your Lyft Lithonia Accident
Establishing the party liable for your Lyft accident is key to establishing the compensation you deserve. The following are the parties that could be liable:
A Lyft driver could be a co-party to the materialized tort if their negligence led to the crash. Legally, the Lyft driver can be awarded damages with legal requirements that consent be stated through a disclaimer in their liability and paid by their insurance company or out of pocket.
The Car Manufacturing Company
The manufacturer could be brought in as a culpable party when there is an alleged defect in the car’s construction, creating a risk of mechanical collapse or malfunction that has led to a lack of integrity in any part of the vehicle. Our Lyft accident lawyers in Lithonia will test and investigate and scour the evidence to bring out any copies of defects, regardless of whether they were known or not.
The ridesharing company will be held responsible for the conduct and running of its platform and car service that caused the accident. Moreover, they may also be brought to court when the driver is pointed out to have headed in the wrong direction when the collision occurred.
The Hosting Company
The hosting company might be held responsible for the severe damages caused by server errors. This includes computer-generated errors that affected the app’s functionality, leading to end-users not getting the desired results.
The Other Driver (s) Involved in the Accident
The other driver(s) could also be culpable due to improper on-the-road conduct before or after the accident.
What You Should Do When Involved in a Lyft Accident in Lithonia
After an accident, it is crucial to act in a manner that helps you remain safe and healthy and also helps your compensation claim in the future. Below are the things you should do:
Avoid being emotionally involved in the accident. Try to remain calm, regardless of how aggravated you are with the situation. Avoid being aggressive as your main priority should be to preserve your own life.
Report the Accident
Report to the police about the accident for an investigation to commence. While reporting, the investing officer will require a few crucial details to aid in their quest. Such information includes:
- Your name, address, and phone number.
- The make, model, and license plate number of the Lyft vehicle involved in the accident.
- The time, date, and location of the accident.
- Details about the injuries you sustained in the accident. The officer will document where you’re injured, the severity of the injuries, and the medical attention needed.
- The driver’s information: This includes their name, address, driver’s license number, work number, and insurance information.
Take Photos of the Scene
Take photos of the accident scene. They will be useful if the driver or police prove that an accident occurred and provide evidence in court. Ensure your camera resolution settings are high enough to capture clear photos.
Get Medical Attention
If you were injured during the accident, seek medical attention as soon as possible. The doctor or nurse will determine how severe your injuries are and whether you require admission or urgent care treatment. If you cannot visit a doctor, call 911 for emergency medical assistance.
File Police Reports
There are two types of reports you have to file:
- A medical report: This report notes all the injuries you sustained in the accident and their severity. You can also use this report when filing a claim for compensation from the insurance provider.
- An accident report: This report is filed by law enforcement. It covers the details of the accident, the time and date of occurrence, the vehicle information, and the driver’s information.
Request copies of the report for your records after filing a police report.
Contact a Lithonia Lyft Accident Attorney
If you’re injured in a Lyft accident, you should speak with an attorney regarding your case. A Lyft accident attorney in Lithonia can help you determine any grounds for pursuing legal action and offer advice on your next course of action.
Let John Foy & Associates Sort Through the Mess
If you’ve been involved in a Lyft accident, it is imperative to speak with a Lithonia Lyft accident lawyer. The personal injury attorneys at John Foy & Associates have years of experience representing clients in numerous ridesharing accident cases in Lithonia. We know what it’s like to work with insurance companies and all it takes to win such cases.
We require zero guarantee fees and always work effectively to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to tell us about your accident.