The law in Athens says that all drivers must carry car insurance. Unfortunately not everyone follows the law. Statewide, approximately 12% of drivers are uninsured and many others carry so little insurance that they cannot cover serious injuries caused by an accident. If you have been involved in an accident with a driver like this, you may face difficulty getting the money you are entitled to for medical bills, missed work time and repairing damages to your vehicle. It’s important to know that you still have rights, and that you can recover damages even from an uninsured/underinsured driver. You need to speak to an Athens uninsured motorist accident lawyer.
John Foy & Associates wants to help. We have been assisting the victims of car accidents for more than 20 years, and we know how to win financial recoveries from drivers who have little or no car insurance—even when they don’t want to pay. Let us give you a free consultation with our experienced attorneys. Call us at 706-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What costs can I recover from an uninsured motorist in Athens?
If you are the victim in a car accident in the City of Athens, you are allowed to recover all of your costs, even if the other driver is not insured. The most common costs include:
- Medical bills
- Drugs and medication
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Damage to your car
- Work hours/wages that you missed because of the accident or your recovery
You may also be eligible for a sizeable financial award to offset physical pain and suffering, a disability or other serious losses. Obviously this money cannot make up for your pain or a life-altering injury. However, it can help you and your family stay financially stable as you cope with the aftermath. We help many car accident victims win awards of $100,000 or more.
to find a John Foy office near you
What should I do if I’m in an accident and the other driver is not insured?
You should treat the car accident like any other and remember that you still have rights. From the first moments after the accident onward, we recommend that you:
- Call the police. A police report will strengthen your claim and help you prove the facts of your case.
- Get the driver’s information. Many uninsured drivers say they don’t want to get the insurance companies involved and promise to pay for your damages. Those promises are meaningless once they leave the scene. Exchange contact information with them immediately.
- Stay calm. It can be frustrating, even infuriating to be in an accident with an irresponsible driver. And in many cases they will yell, make accusations or put the blame on you. Do your best to stay calm and resist the urge to apologize or accept blame.
- Take photos or videos at the scene. This will become evidence that shows exactly what happened.
- Get witnesses. Talk to any bystanders at the scene and ask for their contact information if they saw what happened.
- Always see a doctor. Many injuries look minor at first but become serious after days or week. Get a doctor’s opinion immediately.
Above all, always talk to a lawyer before you give a statement to the insurance company or sign any insurance paperwork.
Athens Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
How do I get my money if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
The exact process depends on the particulars of your case. In Athens, every car owner is supposed to carry a certain minimum amount of car insurance, including:
- $25,000 or more in bodily injury insurance per victim
- $50,000 or more in bodily injury insurance total
- $25,000 or more in property insurance
But these amounts may not cover all the damages. That means it’s common to have to recover costs above and beyond what an insurance policy covers, even with an insured driver. As a result, there are tried and true methods for getting your money without insurance.
Some of the ways we can get you your money include:
- Approaching other insurance policies the driver or car owner holds
- Filing an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim with your own insurer
- Seeking a court decision that forces the other driver to pay the costs out of pocket
- Where necessary, garnishing wages or placing a lien on their property until they pay
The bottom line is that it’s not fair for you to have to pay for someone else’s recklessness. We know how to move your claim through the local courts to get you the full amount you are owed.
Is there a deadline to file my claim in Athens?
Yes. The courts in Athens follow deadlines known as statutes of limitations, set by both state and federal law. You must file your claim before the statute of limitations expires or you lose your right to a financial recovery. Generally, the limit for a car accident case can be up to two years from the date of the accident, but there are many circumstances where it’s shorter—sometimes substantially so. We urge you to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to make sure you don’t miss out.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorist accidents lawyer serving Athens, call 404-400-4000
What makes John Foy & Associates different from other Athens car accident law firms?
We started out as a small local law office, and have succeeded in becoming one of the most respected car accident law firms in the state of Georgia. We did this by consistently getting the best possible outcome for our clients. We simply have the experience and dedication to produce the best results for your case.
John Foy & Associates is also 100% committed to helping injury victims. We don’t take on other types of cases and we never side with insurance companies or big corporations. We exist to help you win your case.
Talk to an Athens Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
Let us help you. When you call John Foy & Associates, we will sit down for a free consultation and help you understand your case—with no pressure to go forward. Call us at 706-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.