Georgia law requires vehicle owners in Decatur to have insurance. But a substantial number of drivers don’t take this obligation seriously. As many as 12% percent of cars in Georgia aren’t insured. It’s terrible to be involved in any car accident, but even worse when you learn that the other driver didn’t have insurance—or that they don’t have enough insurance to cover all of your costs. But you still have a legal right to recover money. You need to talk to a qualified Decatur uninsured motorist accident attorney as soon as possible.
At John Foy & Associates, we’ve been helping accident victims like you for more than 20 years. In that time, we’ve built an impressive record of getting money for clients who have been hit by uninsured drivers. The other driver was irresponsible in not getting insurance, but you shouldn’t have to pay for their choices.
Call John Foy & Associates and get a free consultation to talk about your case and your options. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How Much Money Can I Win from an Uninsured Driver in Decatur?
It depends on the circumstances of your case and the type of injuries and damage you have. Georgia is known as a “fault state,” which means that whoever is at fault for an accident in the City of Decatur must pay 100% of the cost of the accident. This rule applies whether the driver who’s at fault has insurance or not.
In many cases, you may even be entitled to other large cash awards above and beyond your costs. Our clients commonly get money to compensate them for:
- Doctor and hospital bills
- Prescription drugs
- Physical therapy or other types of rehabilitation
- Auto repairs or a replacement car
- Lost wages when you’ve had to miss work because of the accident
We also frequently win awards for physical pain, suffering and long-term or permanent disabilities. Judges know that money can’t truly compensate you for the physical and emotional toll of a serious accident. But money can relieve financial stress, allowing you and your family to avoid losing your home or falling into debt as you cope with your injuries.
Get the strong arm
What Should I Do If I’m in an Accident With an Uninsured Person in Decatur?
You should first take care of your immediate medical needs, and make sure there’s medical attention for others who need it. If you’re able, the time immediately after the accident is the ideal opportunity to begin protecting your rights. The other driver may try to avoid taking the blame, or may even claim that the accident is your fault. We suggest taking these steps:
- Call the police. The driver who’s at fault may want to avoid getting law enforcement involved, but this is risky. Tell the other driver that Georgia law requires you to report an accident involving injury or serious property damage. A police report is an essential piece of evidence that will help prove what happened.
- Don’t get angry or emotional. No matter what the other driver does or says, try to stay calm and collected. If you lose control of your emotions, you may say things that will hurt your case. And you need to be able to give the police officer a rational and reasonable account of what happened. Whatever you do, NEVER accept blame or say you’re sorry for an accident that wasn’t your fault.
- Get pictures. If possible, use your cell phone to take photos of the damage to both vehicles, the scene, and anything else you think might be important. These photos can be important evidence that will help your case.
- Speak to witnesses. Unless your accident occurred on a remote rural road, there’s probably someone who saw it. Ask the people standing around the scene what they saw, and get their contact information.
- Go to the doctor. You might not have needed an ambulance, but that doesn’t mean you weren’t injured. See a doctor as soon as you can and get a full evaluation. Many car accident injuries involve muscles and soft tissues and can get worse if left untreated.
Your next step should be talking to a lawyer. Uninsured or underinsured motorist claims are more complicated than most car accidents, and a lawyer can help you get the maximum compensation possible.
If There’s No Insurance, How do I Get Anything from an Uninsured Driver?
There are several ways to get money when the driver who caused the accident doesn’t have insurance. The exact approach will depend on the specific circumstances of our case.
Car owners in Decatur are legally required to have a minimum amount of vehicle insurance. This includes:
- Bodily injury insurance with a limit of at least $25,000 per victim
- Total bodily injury insurance of a minimum of $50,000
- Property insurance to cover at least $25,000 of property damage
When a driver only has the minimum amount of insurance, a serious injury or an expensive car can use up the available insurance coverage pretty quickly. This happens regularly, and the local courts often have to look for other ways to order compensation for people injured in car accidents. A good lawyer knows this, and will ask the judge to award money from one of these sources:
- Your own insurance policy’s uninsured or underinsured motorist protection
- Another insurance policy that covers your claim
- The other driver directly
- The other driver’s property, by placing a lien on such things as houses or cars that can only be removed after you’ve been paid
Finding possible sources of money can be complicated, so it’s important to get a lawyer working on your case as soon as possible. A lawyer can take much of the worry off you and make the process as trouble-free as possible. Our goal is always to get you as much money as possible while also minimizing your stress.
Talk to a Decatur Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we are committed to giving every accident victim the very best in legal assistance. That’s why we offer free, no obligation consultations. At your consultation, we will discuss your case, help you understand the law, and make sure you know all of your options. Don’t pay for someone else’s choice not to carry insurance.
Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.