All car owners in Dalton are required by state law to carry car insurance on their vehicle. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean that everyone follows this law. Statewide, up to 12% of cars are uninsured, meaning that effectively 1 in 9 accident victims will be told there is no insurance policy to cover them—and more will find out that the insurance money has limits and doesn’t cover all their costs. If you have been in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured motorist, you still have rights. You can recover the full costs of your medical bills, car repairs and other losses even if the other party is uninsured. You should speak to a good Dalton uninsured motorist accident attorney immediately.
At John Foy & Associates, we can help. For over 20 years we have dedicated our practice exclusively to helping the victims of accidents and injuries. We have a long history of successfully taking on claims against uninsured drivers, and we have helped victims like you get the money they need. Don’t be left holding the bill for someone else’s poor choices. Call John Foy & Associates and get a free consultation to discuss your legal options. Contact us at 706-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What money can I recover from an uninsured driver in Dalton?
Georgia is a “fault state,” meaning that the driver who caused the accident is 100% liable for the costs of everyone involved. This does not change just because they fail to carry insurance. In fact, the City of Dalton allows you to recover all of your costs from an uninsured motorist—plus substantial cash awards for damages. The most common costs and damages we see include:
- Medical bills
- Prescription medication
- Rehabilitation or physical therapy
- Car repair costs
- Lost wages because you missed work time due to the accident
You may also be awarded money for physical pain and suffering, disabilities and other severe injuries. The courts don’t pretend that this money can undo the accident or reverse your injuries—nothing can do that. But we often see this money helping families stay financially stable while dealing with the aftermath of a serious accident. In many cases, it is the only thing that helps accident victims pay their bills as their get back on their feet.
to find a John Foy office near you
What should I do if I’m in an accident with someone who isn’t insured in Dalton?
Your first concern in any accident should be getting medical attention for anyone who needs it. However, if it’s possible, we also recommend taking steps to protect your rights. Many drivers will try to avoid responsibility, cover up what happened or even put the blame on you—especially uninsured drivers. Be your own best advocate and protect yourself:
- Call the police. Most uninsured drivers will try to convince you that there’s no need to get the police involved. Don’t listen. Georgia law requires that you call the police for any accident where someone is hurt or where there’s serious property damage. A police report will prove that you did your due diligence and will also serve to help show what happened in the accident.
- Stay calm. Don’t let the other driver get under your skin. They may yell at you, blame you or get emotional. Do your best to be the most calm and collected person at the scene, and do not respond to taunts or try to explain yourself. No matter what, don’t apologize or take blame for an accident you didn’t cause.
- Take pictures. Photographs can help show what happened long after the accident is over. Get shots of the overall scene, the car damage, and any injuries you’ve sustained.
- Talk with witnesses. If there are bystanders at the scene, or if other drivers have pulled over, ask them what they saw. Get the names and contact info of any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Always see a doctor. Many people think they have only minor injuries or don’t want to go to the doctor unless they have to. But injuries can get worse with time, and the sooner you get a diagnosis the stronger your claim is. Don’t pretend you can shrug it off—see a doctor.
After the accident, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Uninsured motorist claims are complicated and you will have a difficult time getting any financial recovery without legal help.
Dalton Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 706-400-4000
How can I get any money from an uninsured driver?
It depends on the specifics of what happened. In Dalton, all car owners are supposed to carry minimum insurance that includes:
- $25,000+ in bodily injury insurance (per victim)
- $50,000+ in bodily injury insurance (total)
- $25,000+ in property insurance
Even when a driver carries this insurance, it often won’t cover all the costs of a car accident. That means that the local courts are used to dealing with cases where insurance money is not enough, and are prepared to order the money to paid in other ways. A good lawyer can help you use several approaches, including:
- A claim on the uninsured/underinsured motorist protection of your own insurance policy
- Looking for other insurance policies that may apply to the accident
- Seeking a court order to make the other driver pay you out of pocket
- Placing a lien on the other driver’s car, home or other property until you get paid
The important thing is to get a legal opinion as early as possible. An attorney can help make the entire legal process headache-free. Their goal will be to get you the full amount of money you need for your injuries, with as little stress as possible.
Talk to a Dalton Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates we believe everyone should be able to get the legal help the need. That’s why we offer a free, in depth consultation. It’s also why we charge you nothing unless we win you money. Don’t let an uninsured driver’s bad decision ruin your life. Let us help you. Call us at 706-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.