As many as 12 percent of cars in Georgia are uninsured, even though state law says that all vehicle owners must have an auto insurance policy. If you’re injured in a car accident in Stockbridge, there’s about a 1 in 9 chance that the driver who caused the wreck won’t have insurance. There’s an even greater likelihood that the driver has only minimal coverage that won’t begin to pay for your vehicle damage, let alone your injuries.
But even if the other driver isn’t insured, you can still recover money for your injuries and property damage. You need to talk to a good Stockbridge uninsured motorist accident attorney right away.
At John Foy & Associates, we have built our law practice on helping accident victims get the financial recovery they deserve. We have handled many claims against uninsured or under-insured drivers, and we have a track record for getting victims like you the money they need to rebuild their lives.
You should never be stuck paying for someone else’s decision to break the law. Let John Foy & Associates consult with you for free and explain your legal options. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What Kind of Damages Can I Recover from an Uninsured Driver in Stockbridge?
Georgia’s laws make the driver who caused your accident completely responsible for all damage and injuries. Drivers who have insurance get these costs paid by the insurance company. But drivers who choose not to insure their cars don’t get off the hook—they are still legally required to pay you for your loss.
In the City of Stockbridge, you can recover all of your costs from an uninsured driver, and you may even be entitled to additional money. We commonly ask for these types of damages for our clients:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- The cost of repairing or replacing a car
- Lost pay, if you lost time at work because of the accident
You may also be able to recover substantial sums of money for pain, suffering or a long-term disability. Judges know all too well that money can never put your life back to where it was before the accident. But they also know that money can ease your financial stress, keep your family in their home, and pay the bills while you to continue your healing process.
Get the strong arm
What Can I Do If I’m in an Accident With an Uninsured Motorist in Stockbridge?
You should first check to see if everyone is safe, and call emergency medical treatment for anyone who needs it, including yourself. If you do not need medical care right away, there are a few things you can do to document the accident and protect your legal rights. We recommend the following:
- Call the police. Do this even if the uninsured driver doesn’t want you to. If there are injuries or significant property damage, Georgia law actually requires you to call the police. Just as important, when you call the police, officers will come to the scene and will see the location and the damage firsthand. They’ll talk to you, the other driver and any witnesses. The officer will prepare a report that can be a very valuable piece of evidence in your claim.
- Be calm. The uninsured driver may be angry, argumentative or upset, but do your best to stay calm and collected. When tempers flare, you’re more likely to say things that might be used against you later. And when the police arrive, you want to appear reasonable. Above all, never accept blame or apologize if you didn’t cause the accident.
- Get photos. Use your cell phone camera to snap some shots of the damage to both cars, the accident scene, and any conditions or circumstances that might have contributed to the accident.
- Speak with witnesses. People who are standing around at the scene may have seen the accident unfold, or they may have observed the other driver speeding or making dangerous maneuvers before the collision. Find out what they saw and get their contact information.
- See a doctor. You should always go to the doctor and get checked out after a car accident, even if you don’t think you were hurt. When people try to tough it out, they can actually make their injuries worse and make it harder to win money in court. Take your injuries seriously and get treatment right away.
In the days after the accident, make an appointment to talk with a good personal injury lawyer. Uninsured motorist cases are more complicated than many accident claims, and it’s unlikely you’ll be able to recover money on your own.
How Can I Get Money If the Other Driver doesn’t Have Insurance?
People often think that if the other driver didn’t have car insurance, they’re out of luck. But that’s not true at all. There are several other ways to get money in an uninsured motorist case, and the methods we use will depend on the circumstances of your case.
We can also recover money if the other driver is under-insured. Georgia law only requires a certain amount of insurance coverage, and many car owners just get the bare minimum. Minimum coverage amounts are:
- $25,000+ per victim in bodily injury insurance
- $50,000+ total bodily injury insurance
- $25,000+ in property insurance
A couple of days in the hospital, a surgery, or a totaled car can easily cost far more than these minimum insurance amounts. As a result, the local courts see cases involving under-insured drivers all the time, and they are prepared to order payment in a variety of ways. Some of the approaches your lawyer might use include:
- Making a claim against your own insurance policy’s uninsured motorist coverage
- Finding other insurance policies that may pay for your injuries
- Asking the court to order the other driver to pay you
- Placing a lien on the other driver’s property until you have been paid
It’s extremely important to get legal help as soon after the accident as possible. This allows your lawyers to begin collecting evidence and pursuing your case right away, relieving you of the stress of dealing with the legal system. Our goal is always to get you the most money possible.
Talk to a Stockbridge Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we believe that everyone is entitled to high quality legal help when they need it. To make that possible, we offer a free consultation, and we don’t charge our clients any up-front fees. In fact, you won’t pay anything unless we recover money for you.
Don’t pay for an uninsured motorist’s bad choices. We can help you. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.