On a motorcycle, it’s just you and the road. That makes motorcycles exciting and fun to ride, but it also means that motorcyclists face extra danger in a crash. Motorcycle fatalities rose 10% in 2015 nationally, with more than 5,000 cyclists killed in accidents.
If you were in a motorcycle accident, you may be facing serious injuries, months of medical treatment, and huge medical bills. You may be temporarily or permanently disabled and unable to return to work. An Albany, GA, motorcycle accident attorney from John Foy & Associates can help you get the money you deserve.
What Makes Motorcycle Accidents Different Than Other Types of Accidents?
When you’re in a passenger car, you’re protected by many safety features such as seat belts and airbags. On a motorcycle, you don’t have the same kinds of protections. Even a minor accident can cause you to hit the pavement forcefully, and a more serious crash is likely to throw you from your cycle.
Insurance companies perceive motorcyclists differently than other drivers and as reckless drivers. This isn’t true; motorcyclists generally are extremely careful and safe drivers, but insurance companies don’t like to pay out claims, and they use these prejudices as an excuse to blame you for the accident or offer you far less money than your claim is really worth.
It’s important to understand the full scope of what you could be experiencing from the at-fault party’s insurance company and to talk to a good motorcycle accident lawyer before you sign anything or take any money.
to find a John Foy office near you
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
If you’re on a motorcycle, everyone may try to blame you for your accident. Most motorcycle accidents, however, are caused by another driver’s inattentiveness. Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles and other drivers often don’t notice them, but that’s their fault, not yours.
Some of the most common reasons for motorcycle accidents are:
- A driver turning left that doesn’t see a motorcycle and cuts it off
- A driver changing lanes and hitting a motorcycle
- Drivers hitting motorcycles that are traveling between lanes of traffic
- Uneven pavement and other road hazards
If someone else’s carelessness or inattentiveness caused your accident, it was legally not your fault. The other person was “negligent” and they or their insurance company must pay for your damages. Albany motorcycle accident lawyers use investigators to find out exactly what caused your accident, so they can build a case and get you the recovery you are legally entitled to.
Albany Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What Are the Most Common Motorcycle Injuries in Albany, GA?
The injuries you suffer will depend on the circumstances of your accident and the kind of protective gear you are wearing. Wearing a helmet greatly reduces the chances of a serious head injury. In fact, in adopting universal helmet laws, Georgia requires all motorcyclists to wear a helmet.
You may suffer these types of injuries even if you were wearing the best safety equipment:
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- “Road rash” and other types of cuts and scrapes
If you are in a motorcycle accident in Albany, be sure to get medical treatment right away. Many injuries get worse if you don’t treat them, and you will have a faster recovery if you seek medical attention right away.
What Money Can You Recover From an Albany Motorcycle Accident?
In the City of Albany and Dougherty County, you are entitled to 100% of the costs and damages from your motorcycle accident. This means that you can recover all your medical expenses and the other financial losses you’ve suffered because of the accident. Typically, this includes:
- Medical costs such as doctors, hospitals, surgery, and tests
- Prescription medication costs
- The pay you lost if you missed time from work because of the accident
- The cost of fixing your motorcycle or replacing a totaled bike
- Wrongful death damages, if a loved one died in the accident
Many motorcycle accidents cause serious, long-term damage, and the local courts recognize this and frequently award victims substantially more money for pain and suffering or a long-term disability. Money can’t make up for the effects of a tragic accident, but it can help you continue with your treatment and support yourself and your family while you concentrate on recovering.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Albany, call 404-400-4000
It’s Essential to Prove Negligence in Your Motorcycle Accident Case
You and your Albany, GA, motorcycle accident attorney will need to prove the other party acted negligently in order to make a valid personal injury case. You will want to pinpoint the presence of the following elements:
- Duty: The other party had a responsibility of care
- Breach of duty: The at-fault individual did not uphold that responsibility
- Cause in fact: If the person did not act or fail to act the way they did, you would not have sustained injuries
- Proximate cause: Their failure directly caused your pain and injuries
- Damages: You incurred damages as a direct result of the accident and your injuries
In order to abide by state law, you must prove the other party acted with negligence. This is the core of a personal injury case and is the only way you can collect monetary compensation from the at-fault party.
A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Albany, GA, Can Handle Your Case
While you focus your efforts on recovering from your injuries and trying to get your life back on track, your motorcycle accident lawyer in Albany, GA, can focus on fighting for your rights and securing you fair compensation by:
- Determining how your motorcycle crash was caused and what other parties are liable
- Beginning the negotiation process with the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Creating your statement and providing evidence
- Handling all communications on your behalf
- Calculating the total monetary value of your case
- Fighting for more compensation to cover your damages
- Preparing an appeal if your claim is denied by the insurance company
How an Albany Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Investigate Your Crash
When you hire legal representation for your personal injury case, you’re getting the extended resources only a qualified law firm can provide. A benefit of working with an Albany motorcycle accident attorney means a deeper investigation can begin and evidence to establish the other party’s negligence is uncovered. Your attorney can investigate your claim by:
- Visiting the scene of the accident to collect photographic evidence
- Seeking out surveillance videos and including them in your case
- Getting testimonies from eye-witnesses
- Going to the police station to collect a copy of the filed accident report
- Gathering your medical records from when you visited the doctor for your accident-related injuries
- Contacting your employer for copies of your wage statements
- Hiring accident reconstruction specialists to piece together how the crash happened
Talk to an Albany, GA Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we know how devastating a serious motorcycle accident can be. If you have been hurt in an accident in Albany, we don’t want you to struggle alone. We have over 20 years of experience helping motorcycle accident victims, and we would like to give you a free no-obligation consultation.
Let our Albany, GA, motorcycle accident lawyers help you with your claim. We won’t charge you a dime unless we are able to get money for you. Call us or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.