If you work for a living in Sandy Springs, you’re likely covered by workers compensation from day one of your job. It doesn’t matter what kind of work you do, how much money you make or what your title is.
But just because you’re covered does not mean you’ll have an easy time getting your claim paid. The insurance companies who handle these claims know they’ll make more profit if they pay as as little as possible. They may argue that you weren’t badly injured, dispute the way your injuries happened, or potentially send you to a doctor who has their interests in mind, not yours. If you or a loved one has suffered an on the job injury, you need to talk to a Sandy Springs workers compensation lawyer as soon as you can.
John Foy & Associates has been helping employees get their workers compensation benefits for the past two decades. We know how the workers compensation system works, and we’re familiar with the games insurance companies play. We have a reputation for getting workers the money they’re legally entitled to. We will give you a free consultation to discuss your claim. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How does the workers compensation system operate in Sandy Springs?
The government established workers compensation to protect people who are injured on the job. “Workers comp” is designed with these goals in mind:
- To provide medical care and financial support to injured workers
- To resolve workplace injury claims without the need for long and costly lawsuits
To implement the program, the law requires all employers to have a workers compensation insurance policy. If you are injured at work, your injuries are covered under the policy.
Many people have misconceptions about workers compensation. It is important to know that:
- Workers compensation isn’t a government handout. It’s an insurance policy that your employer pays for. Part of the cost of the policy is paid through deductions from your paycheck.
- Workers compensation covers ALL injuries that happen at work, even if they’re not directly related to your job duties.
to find a John Foy office near you
What kinds of costs will workers compensation pay?
Workers compensation insurance will pay for all the costs of your injury. In a typical case, workers compensation pays for the following:
- Doctor, hospital and other medical bills
- Prescription drug costs
- Physical therapy or other rehabilitation
- Vocational training to enable you to go back to work
- The cost of traveling to medical appointments (at a rate of 40 cents a mile)
- Your lost paycheck. A workers comp paycheck will usually be less than your usual paycheck, but you will not pay taxes on it.
You are entitled to additional benefits if your injury causes a permanent disability or other permanent condition, or if a family member lost their life to a workplace injury. Of course, money can never make up for a tragic loss, but it can enable you and your family to stay on an even footing financially as you navigate the next stage of your life.
Sandy Springs Workers Compensation Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What injuries are covered by workers comp in Sandy Springs?
The workers comp system makes things easy for employees and their employers because all types of injuries that happen in the workplace are covered.
- It does not matter whose fault it was
- It doesn’t matter how the injury occurred
- It doesn’t matter whether the injury was related to your job duties
- You don’t have to blame your employer, your boss or a co-worker
Many of the workers comp claims we handle come from the construction industry. People who work in construction face many risks: falling, being hit by falling debris, getting injured by equipment, and suffering electric shock. However, workers compensation claims can come from any industry. For example, we often see claims by office workers, restaurant staff and delivery drivers, just to name a few.
Are their work-related injuries that are not covered?
Usually, your injury must have happened on your employer’s premises for you to be covered by workers comp. However, there are instances where you may be covered even if you weren’t at your usual workplace. For example, you may still be eligible for workers comp if:
- You were injured while on a business trip
- You were a driver or passenger in a company vehicle
- You were running an errand as part of your job
- You were attending a work meeting at another location
- You were working remotely when your injury occurred
Injuries may also be covered if they occur on your employer’s parking lots or sidewalks. However, if you were injured while commuting to or from work, your injury will usually not be covered.
For a free legal consultation with a workers compensation lawyer serving Sandy Springs, call 404-400-4000
Does workers comp cover mental health conditions in Sandy Springs?
Mental health conditions are only covered if they are accompanied by a physical injury. For example, if you are assaulted at work and suffer physical harm, your psychological treatment for trauma would also be covered. But if you are bullied and suffer only psychological and emotional harm, your injuries are not covered by workers comp.
Will I need to file a lawsuit against my employer?
No. The workers compensation system was created to completely replace lawsuits for workplace injuries. You couldn’t sue your employer for a workplace injury in the City of Sandy Springs, even if you wanted to. This benefits workers in several ways:
- It allows workers to get their money more quickly. Lawsuits can drag on for years.
- It gives workers greater certainty. It’s hard to predict the outcome of a lawsuit.
- Workers don’t have to make a case against their employers. They just file a claim with the insurance company.
Even with this system in place, we meet many injured workers who are afraid to file a workers compensation claim. They worry that their employer will think less of them or even retaliate if they make a claim. In reality, we find that most employers are happy to see their workers get the money they need to get back on their feet. It’s the insurance companies that try to deny claims. To make sure you get the recovery you’re entitled to, it’s important to have a lawyer on your team.
Talk to a Sandy Springs Workers Compensation Lawyer for Free
If you’re injured on the job, you have a right to recover financially. At John Foy & Associates, we are committed to helping all workers get the money they’re legally entitled to. Sit down with us for a free consultation and we’ll explain what we can do for you. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.