Most drivers in Macon follow the law and get car insurance, but as many as 12% of the cars on Georgia’s roads are uninsured. Many other drivers carry only the bare minimum amount of insurance—not be nearly enough to pay for all the damage in a major accident. If you’re in an accident with someone who’s uninsured or underinsured, you may think you’re out of luck, but you’re not. You can still recover all your costs and expenses. You need to talk to a Macon uninsured motorist accident lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates, we have a long track record of getting people money after an accident, even when there’s no insurance. We’ve spent the last 20 years helping the victims of accidents and injuries recover money to pay for treatment or lost time at work, and keep their finances on an even keel while they recover. You don’t have to pay for someone else’s bad choices. We’ll give you a free, no obligation consultation to discuss your rights and your options. Call us at 478-217-7042 and get your free consultation today.
What kind of costs can I recover in an uninsured driver claim in Macon?
In Georgia, the driver who caused the accident is liable for ALL the damage and injuries they cause—period. It doesn’t matter whether or the driver had insurance. This means that in Macon-Bibb County, you can recover 100% of your costs and other damages from a car accident with an uninsured driver. We have helped many people recover these types of damages in uninsured motorist cases:
- Medical costs, including surgeries, doctors and hospital stays
- The cost of medications
- Bills for rehabilitative therapies such as physical or occupational therapy
- The cost of repairing your car
- The pay you lost if you missed work time because of the accident
If you were badly injured in your accident, you may also recover money for things like ongoing severe pain, disabilities and other major losses. Money is no consolation for an accident that dramatically changed your life, but many of our clients breathe a sigh of relief when they realize that there will finally be enough money to pay the bills and begin building a life after the accident. We can’t undo the accident, but we can help you regain financial stability while you recover.
Is there anything I can do to protect myself after an uninsured motorist accident in Macon?
Your first priority is to take care of your immediate medical needs, and get help for anyone else who was hurt. If you don’t have to go to the emergency room right away, you can do some simple things that will help you to make a successful claim later. Uninsured drivers typically try to avoid responsibility, and the steps you take to document the accident can be important evidence in your favor. We recommend that you do these things:
- Get the police to the scene. The other driver may give try to convince you not to get law enforcement involved. Don’t fall for this. In Georgia, you are required by law to report any accident in which someone is injured or there’s significant damage. The officer who comes to the scene will interview you, the other driver and any witnesses and prepare an incident report. This report is a critical piece of evidence showing how the accident happened and who was involved.
- Keep your cool. We hear many stories of uninsured drivers who become angry, emotional or agitated. After all, they’re afraid of bearing the consequences of their choices. Your job is to stay calm and avoid getting into arguments or saying things that might be used against you later. No matter what the other driver says or does, never apologize or take the blame for an accident you didn’t cause.
- Get photos or video with your cell phone camera. Pictures of the scene, your injuries and the damage to the vehicle can be powerful evidence for a jury.
- Talk to witnesses. Find out if anyone saw the accident, or the events that immediately preceded it. Get their names and contact information.
- Go to the doctor. Many accident victims think they weren’t badly hurt or that their injuries will heal on their own. But waiting to seek treatment is risky. Your injuries may get worse, and your claim won’t look as strong if you don’t see a doctor for weeks. Get a full evaluation as soon as possible.
It’s also important to talk to a lawyer right away. It’s extremely difficult to recover money from an uninsured driver without legal help, and the sooner you have a lawyer on your case, the sooner you’ll have the money you need to pay for your losses.
How will I get money if there’s no insurance?
We have several tactics to get you money when there’s no insurance, or not enough insurance. The ones we use will depend on the exact circumstances of your case. In many cases, the other driver may have car insurance, but only at the minimum levels required in the state of Georgia:
- $25,000 per victim bodily injury insurance
- $50,000 total bodily injury insurance
- $25,000 property insurance
In a serious accident, these minimum insurance amounts are almost never enough to pay for all the damage. We must ask the local courts to award you money from other sources. These might include:
- Your own insurance policy, which probably has uninsured motorist coverage.
- Other insurance policies held by you, the other driver, or a third party who is also responsible for the accident.
- The other driver directly. The court can order someone to pay your damages out of their own pocket.
- A lien on the other driver’s assets, which can only be removed after you have been paid.
It’s best to get a lawyer working on your case right away. At John Foy & Associates, we will investigate your accident and find out which of these strategies is the best bet for getting you a full financial recovery, with as little worry for you as possible.
Talk to a Macon Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we want you to get the money you need to keep your financial life on track while you recover. We don’t want to add legal bills to your stress, and that’s why we offer a free consultation. In fact, we won’t charge you anything at all unless we get money for you. Don’t get left holding the bill for an uninsured driver’s bad choices. Call us at 478-217-7042 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.