If you own a vehicle in Alpharetta, you’re supposed to have insurance. It’s the law. But many people don’t bother to buy insurance at all. As many as 12% of the cars on Georgia’s roads are uninsured, and this means that one out of every nine accident victims will find out there’s no insurance to pay for their injuries, let alone the damage to their cars. Even when a driver has insurance, it may not be nearly enough to cover the cost of a serious accident. If you are in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured motorist, you do have rights. You can recover ALL of your costs, even if there’s no insurance policy. But you need to talk to an Alpharetta uninsured motorist lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates, we’ve been helping people get money in uninsured motorist accidents for more than two decades. We’ve built a strong track record for success, getting our clients the money they need to pay for medical bills, repair their cars, and replace income lost because of the accident. Another driver chose to ignore the law, but you shouldn’t have to pay. Let us give you a free consultation to talk about your case and explain your options. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What costs can I recover from an uninsured motorist in Alpharetta?
In any auto accident in Georgia, the person who caused the accident is liable for all the resulting damage and injuries. The law is the same regardless of whether the driver at fault had insurance. This means that in the City of Alpharetta, you can recover 100 percent of your costs and damages from an uninsured driver. We often help our clients recover these damages:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy or other rehabilitation services
- Car repairs, or replacing a totaled car
- Lost wages to make up for time you missed from work because of the accident
Depending on the circumstances, you may also get additional money for pain and suffering, a disability, or the loss of a loved one. We know that money can never begin to make up for what you lost in the accident, but we also know that a serious accident can take a heavy financial toll on you and your family. We hope that the money you receive can lessen the blow and make it easier for you to focus on rebuilding your life.
to find a John Foy office near you
What should I do after an accident with an uninsured driver in Alpharetta?
If you or anyone else needs emergency medical attention, make sure you get it. If you don’t require immediate care, we do recommend that you do a few things to protect your rights. It’s common for uninsured drivers to try to avoid responsibility for an accident. They may even blame you. Be your own advocate and make sure there’s a record of what happened. Here’s what we suggest:
- Call the police. Uninsured drivers usually don’t want the police involved, and they’ll try to convince you to just settle things between yourselves. Don’t listen. The police will come to the scene, talk to you and the other driver and any witnesses, and prepare an accident report. The accident report is important evidence in your claim.
- Keep calm. Uninsured drivers can tend to get emotional after an accident. They may yell at you, blame you, or try to start an argument. Don’t take the bait. Stay as calm as you can. You don’t want to look like a hothead to the police officer, and you don’t want to angrily say things that might be used against you later. Most importantly, never apologize or accept blame for an accident you didn’t cause.
- Take photos or video. Photos and video provide a graphic record of how the accident happened and can be much more persuasive than your words alone. Get photos of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles, your injuries, and any factors that might have contributed to the accident—like a malfunctioning stoplight or ice on the roadway.
- Talk to witnesses. Bystanders or people who stop to help may have seen what happened, or may have observed the other driver’s behavior just before the accident. Get contact information for the people you talk to.
- Go to the doctor. Many people avoid going to the doctor after an accident, thinking their injuries will get better on their own. But many auto accident injuries grow worse over time. Going to the doctor right away helps you make a strong claim and can often minimize the amount of treatment you will need.
In addition, meet with a lawyer as soon as you can after the accident. Uninsured motorist claims can be complicated, and it’s hard to get any money without a lawyer’s help.
Alpharetta Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
How can I get money if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
There are several ways to get a financial recovery even if the driver who’s at fault isn’t insured. In some cases, a driver has insurance, but it isn’t enough. Georgia only requires minimal insurance coverage:
- $25,000+ for bodily injury, per victim
- $50,000+ for bodily injury, total
- $25,000+ for property damage
If you look at the prices of cars and health care today, it’s easy to see that this minimal coverage may not cover all the costs of an accident. The local courts are familiar with this problem, and they can rule that the money must be paid in another way. A good lawyer might use several approaches, depending on your situation:
- Making a claim under the uninsured/underinsured motorist protection of your own auto insurance
- Making a claim under another insurance policy that might apply to your accident
- Asking the court to order the other driver to pay you out of pocket
- Placing a lien on the other driver’s property, such as a house or a car. The lien will remain until you are paid.
Because of the complexities, you need to get a lawyer working on your case right away. A lawyer can ease your stress and make the process go as smoothly as possible for you. We want to get you the most money possible, with the fewest headaches.
Talk to an Alpharetta Uninsured Motorist Lawyer for Free
If you have been in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you do have a right to a full financial recovery. At John Foy & Associates, we offer a free, in depth consultation, and we won’t ever charge you anything unless we win money for you. Don’t pay for an uninsured driver’s poor choices. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.