A catastrophic injury is often life-altering and results in significant recovery and medical treatment. This type of injury can sometimes have a permanent effect on a person, preventing them from working or participating in activities they once enjoyed.
In addition to long and arduous recovery, medical expenses are likely to mount quickly. A Statesboro catastrophic injury lawyer can be beneficial in these situations to help you win reasonable compensation. Even though money cannot compensate for a long-term injury, it can alleviate the financial strain caused by medical expenses and lost wages.
When to Call a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Statesboro
Being able to prove the effects of catastrophic injuries in a personal injury claim can be challenging. As a result of a catastrophic injury, the compensation for the plaintiff’s losses will increase along with the claim’s value.
Attorneys at John Foy & Associates specialize in personal injury and help bring lawsuits against negligent businesses and individuals on behalf of injured parties. Catastrophic injuries often result in a lot of paperwork and questions from insurance companies and liable and non-liable parties, which attorneys can help answer.
to find a John Foy office near you
What to Do After Suffering a Catastrophic Injury
After you have suffered a catastrophic injury – burns, organ injury, brain malfunction – there are several steps you and a loved one can take to ensure you get the treatment and compensation you deserve.
- Remain calm. You may not be able to move from the scene due to the potential for catastrophic injuries. You should stay calm and stay as safe as possible if you are in a dangerous situation.
- Get medical help. You may not be able to feel the pain your body is experiencing right away because your adrenaline levels are high. The severity of a brain injury or a spinal injury may not always be apparent at the time, so seeking medical help immediately is essential.
- File an accident report. Either you or someone else at the scene is required to report the accident to authorities, depending on your injuries. As first responders treat patients, the local police department will investigate the accident and find out what happened and who was at fault.
- Gather evidence. Any time there is a claim involving catastrophic injuries, evidence is crucial, and a family member and a lawyer can help, even if you aren’t able to collect evidence. As part of this process, you may have to obtain your medical records, police reports, and witness statements.
- Hire an attorney. One of the first places you should contact after a severe accident is a Statesboro catastrophic injury lawyer. If you intend to file a claim, you or a family member can initiate the process, and an attorney can assist with ensuring you have the evidence you need.
Statesboro Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near Me 912-400-4000
Catastrophic vs. Non-Catastrophic Injuries
The most debilitating injuries are catastrophic. Your quality of life may be drastically reduced, and you may need multiple surgeries and hospitalizations, as well as lifetime care and rehabilitation.
Among the most common catastrophic injuries are:
- Injuries to the brain and spinal cord that may result in paralysis or inability to take care of oneself
- Disfiguring burns
- Injury to organs
- Neurological conditions
You can also suffer a severe injury that is not catastrophic, but you should expect to recover and not require lifelong care. Examples of such injuries include:
- Breaking your bones
- Suffering cuts, tears, and bruising
- Minor burns
- Head damages like concussions
Catastrophic Injury Compensation Available in Georgia
The value of a personal injury case depends on the severity of the injuries. The more serious the injuries, the more compensation for damages you will receive. But proving the extent of the damages also becomes more complex as the facts, arguments, and evidence mount.
In the case of catastrophic injuries, the plaintiff may be starting the recovery process and require medical care for the rest of his or her life. For both sides, it is important to understand medical treatment requirements that are immediate and in the future, to value the plaintiff’s case in a meaningful way, and reach a settlement that is acceptable to both parties.
Experts in the medical field are likely to be at the center of laying out the plaintiff’s need for care, the expected cost of that care, and the financial impact of job and income loss.
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Statesboro, call 912-400-4000
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries can be caused by several factors. Car accidents are among the most common causes. Particularly devastating are collisions with semi-trucks.
There are also several other causes:
- Collisions with pedestrians
- Accidents involving bicycles
- Accidents on construction sites
- Boat accidents
- Faulty products
- Malpractice in medicine
- Crashes involving bicycles
What Is a Catastrophic Injury Settlement?
Accident victims file personal injury claims to obtain as much compensation as possible. This is not to say that an accident victim will be physically healed, but rather to say that a catastrophic injury attorney will negotiate a settlement that allows them to lead a life that is at least as normal as possible, given the circumstances.
To determine the full impact a catastrophic injury will have on a victim, a lawyer will consult with multiple experts. Among the professionals with whom lawyers will work are healthcare professionals, economists, rehabilitation specialists, and medical equipment suppliers.
Attorneys should develop a thorough understanding of the challenges that an accident victim faces, and how the accident victim can overcome these challenges.
Call a Statesboro Catastrophic Injury Attorney Today
If you have suffered catastrophic injuries, you may be eligible for substantial compensation. Despite this, you are likely to settle for much less than your case is worth, even with the assistance of a catastrophic injury attorney in Statesboro. After an accident, you may find yourself unable to pay your current and future expenses and struggling to overcome other challenges.
John Foy & Associates represents clients who suffer catastrophic injuries as a result of negligence. In settlement negotiations and at trial, they are proud to offer them strategic, meticulous, and merciless representation. Reach out to them today.