The weight of large commercial trucks makes them more difficult to stop and maneuver. Truck accidents can cause devastating injuries and even death to those in their path. If you have been injured or have lost a loved one because of a truck collision, call a Lithia Springs truck accident lawyer with John Foy & Associates to fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Damages Resulting from Truck Accidents
A truck accident can leave its victims with life-altering injuries and even fatalities. Your truck accident lawyer in Lithia Springs will help you understand the way that the accident has impacted your life and what damages are possible for you to collect. Some economic damages that you may be owed are as follows:
- Medical bills begin to mount as soon as an accident victim enters the ambulance. And they can continue for the entire life of an injured party.
- Ongoing therapy and treatments such as surgeries and physical and occupational therapies can become expensively overwhelming.
- Medical equipment and prescriptions such as crutches, wheelchairs, canes, walkers, and pain medications can be another costly damage that you should receive recompense for.
- Home alterations and the purchase of accessible vehicles are unexpected expenses that can become costly. Ramps, wider doorways, handicap-accessible bathrooms, and cars that accommodate mobility equipment should be considered when asking for damages.
- Loss of Income being out of work can be stressful. The bills do not stop when the earnings do.
- Loss of Future Earnings can be caused by serious truck accident injuries. John Foy & Associates will work to make sure your finances are protected by generously estimating your loss of future income.
The damages listed above focus on the more concrete losses suffered by truck accident victims. They constitute an important part of the damage settlement package that your truck accident attorney in Lithia Springs will work to recover for you.
Psychological Damages Faced by Truck Accident Victims
After a traumatic accident, especially one in which fatalities and life-altering injuries occur, victims can suffer from extreme emotional and psychological reactions. Depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) follow many victims of truck accidents. Some of these psychological injuries include:
- Intrusive thoughts about the wreck
- Worrisome dreams and night terrors concerning the truck collision
- Reticence to operate a vehicle after an accident
- Blocking out emotions
- An increase in irritability
- Increased startle reaction
- Inability to sleep properly
All of these conditions impact the victim’s quality of life and should be factors in any settlement agreement. Your Lithia Springs truck accident attorney is familiar with strategies to maximize damage claims for the emotional suffering their victims are forced to endure.
Get the strong arm
Liability After a Truck Accident in Lithia Springs
Georgia is a fault state, so if someone else’s negligence or recklessness causes you an injury in an accident, you have three possible avenues to pursue compensation. You may file a claim with your own insurance company, the insurance of the other party, or you may take the case to civil court and file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver.
Several parties may share liability after a truck accident. If they failed to show a duty of care, breached the duty of care, and caused the accident from which you suffered serious injuries, they will be liable for your collision. The parties responsible for your accident could include the following:
- Trucking company
- Negligent trucker
- Maintenance team or technician
- Safety Inspectors for the truck
- Distributors, designers, and manufacturers of truck parts
- Government agencies such as the Georgia Department of Transportation
Investigating Your Truck Accident in Lithia Springs
A Lithia Springs Truck Accident Attorney from John Foy & Associates will conduct an investigation of your case and will determine who is liable for your injuries. Some of the evidence they will look for to build your case is as follows:
- Black Box Information
- Confirmation that the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when the accident occurred
- Mobile phone records of the driver
- Possibly reports from truck accident reconstructionists
The trucking company may be liable for the accident unless the driver was behaving recklessly. In that case, the driver is the liable party. Other factors are taken into account, such as whether the truck was owned by the trucking company or leased and whether the driver was a subcontractor or an employee.
Often, more than one party shares responsibility. Your truck accident attorney in Lithia Spring can use the evidence to confirm who will be compensating you for your injuries.
When to Expect Compensation After a Truck Accident
The length of time it takes to settle a claim depends on how serious the injuries are considered and how long it takes to complete treatment for the injuries. This could involve surgeries, physical and occupational therapy, fittings for prosthetics, pain management, cosmetic surgery, and more. The general process looks like this:
- The involved motorists report the accident to their insurance companies.
- The insurance adjusters inspect vehicles. This is usually reasonably fast, and automobile damages are awarded days to weeks after the accident.
- Personal injury claims take longer. They will be dependent on the extent of the victim’s injuries. Medical care typically has to be completed before these claims are settled. It could be as soon as weeks after treatment ends.
A truck accident lawyer must examine the offer because, often, non-economic damages will be undervalued or altogether ignored by insurance companies. If a truck accident victim accepts an offer without our specialists analyzing it, there is no going back and asking for more money.
John Foy & Associates Is the Strong Arm of Georgia
If you have been in a truck accident, hiring the expert litigators at John Foy & Associates is the smartest thing you can do for yourself or your loved one. We are ready to fight for you. Your job is to heal and put your life back together.
Leave battling with the insurance companies to us. Our job is to ensure you get the maximum settlement to which you are entitled. Our experience and know-how mean that you are in the best of hands.
Contact us today. We are ready to aid you in reclaiming the life you had before the trucking accident. We are here to hold the trucking company and driver accountable for your injuries.