Car accidents happen every week in Johns Creek. They can involve one, two or many cars, and they can involve pedestrians, motorcycles, cars or trucks. But every car accident has one thing in common: the victims who didn’t cause it have a right to recover money for all of their injuries and losses. If you have been injured in a car accident, don’t risk facing medical bills and insurance companies alone—and don’t risk losing your rights. You need to talk to a Johns Creek car accident lawyer.
The attorneys of John Foy & Associates are on your side. We are one of Georgia’s most respected car accident law firms—with a reputation feared by the insurance companies. We have spent more than 20 years working exclusively for the victims of accidents and injuries. Let us give you a free consultation. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How do car accident claims work in Johns Creek?
All car accident claims in Georgia are based around fault, and the City of Johns Creek is no different. Essentially, whichever driver caused the accident is considered liable, and they or their insurance have to pay the costs of all the victims.
But figuring out who caused an accident isn’t always easy. It can be very clear, such as when a drunk driver rear ends a stopped car at high speed. But in other cases it’s complex. What if one party was making a legal left-turn and an oncoming car hit them? What if one part was speeding by 7 mph over the limit, but the other party was driving with their cell phone in their hand?
In most cases, this is how fault is determined:
- If one party broke a law, and that was what caused the accident, they are at fault. This includes drinking and driving.
- Likewise, if one party was distracted, such as by a cell phone or eating while driving, that could also put them at fault—but only if that was what caused the accident.
- Otherwise, investigators have to look at who was being careless and who had the chance to prevent the accident. This is usually who’s at fault.
Both the police at the scene and the insurance companies themselves have to make an assessment of who they believe is at fault for the accident. But their assessments aren’t always right. A good lawyer can put together evidence and challenge the insurance company’s account to show who was truly at fault.
to find a John Foy office near you
Why shouldn’t I just take the insurance offer?
Insurance companies are under contract to pay out claims in some cases. But they have a lot of flexibility in how much they offer and whether they agree the claim is valid. And that matters, because they’re seeking profit. The less money they pay out in claims, the more profit they make.
And that means you should be very suspicious of an easy offer from the insurance company.
When the insurance company offers you money, it usually means they believe you could win more in the local courts—possibly much more. They’re making a smaller offer now in the hopes you’ll just take it. And, to take it, you have to sign away all of your legal rights.
- Insurance offers may not include much (or any) money for missed work time. If you had to miss time at work, you are entitled to more.
- Insurance offers tend to undervalue pain and suffering, permanent injuries, and other types of personal losses. With a lawyer, these types of losses could cause your financial recovery to be 3, 4 or even 5 times more.
- You probably haven’t fully recovered from your injury yet. What if you need more treatment than you think? What if you need physical therapy? If this money has not been included in the offer, you could end up stuck with big medical bills.
In some cases the insurance offer is fair and it will end up being the best way to go. But this is hard to determine if you don’t know the law. A lawyer can often assess an insurance offer and give you a recommendation in a single free, 30-minute consultation.
Johns Creek Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What if the insurance company is denying my claim?
This happens all too often, even if you are the victim and have a valid claim. In other cases the insurer will delay your claim or offer you far less than what you need. Insurance companies may give several reasons when they do this:
- They may claim that you actually share fault for the accident when, in truth, you don’t
- They may state that your injury wasn’t actually caused by the car accident
- They may state that your injury would have been far less serious, except that you didn’t seek treatment in time, so it’s partly your fault
- They may even claim that you do not have a valid injury at all
All of these can be hurtful, traumatic accusations. But to the insurer, they are just tactics. They’re tactics that can be used to minimize or deny a claim and save money. And they are also bargaining tactics that can be defeated if you have evidence to back up your claim.
Never try to take on negotiation yourself. The insurance companies will look for ways to use your words against you. Instead, get a lawyer. With a lawyer, you don’t have to face the insurers directly, and you will have a professional investigator putting together the evidence that you need. In many cases, you could end up with a financial recovery worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or more.
Talk to a Johns Creek Car Accident Lawyer for Free
No amount of money can undo a serious injury, or reverse a car accident. But it can help you recover and move forward in life. Let the attorneys of John Foy & Associates put our 20+ years of experience to work for you. We charge nothing unless we win you money and your consultation is always FREE. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your free consultation today.