If you own a car in Douglasville, you probably know that the law requires you to get auto insurance. But you may be surprised to hear that about 12 percent of Georgia’s cars are completely uninsured, and many more carry only the minimum amount of insurance. Often, that’s not nearly enough to compensate victims in an accident. About 1 out of 9 accident victims finds out there’s no insurance at all, and many more learn that there is insurance, but not enough. But that doesn’t mean you have to pay your accident expenses yourself. If you are in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver, you can still recover for your medical bills, lost pay and vehicle damage. You need to talk to a good Douglasville uninsured motorist accident attorney.
At John Foy & Associates, we know how to help you. We have spent the past two decades working to get accident victims the money they need and deserve. Over the years, we have handled many claims against uninsured or under-insured motorists, and we’ve built a long record of successfully recovering money. You shouldn’t be responsible for the other driver’s bad decisions. Call John Foy & Associates and we’ll give you a free consultation to discuss your case. Contact us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What am I entitled to recover from an uninsured motorist in Douglasville?
In Georgia, the driver who caused the accident is liable for all the damage that results, including vehicle damage and injuries to other drivers and passengers. It doesn’t matter whether the driver had insurance or not—he or she is still legally responsible. That means that in the City of Douglasville, you can recover 100% of your costs, even if the driver who caused the accident didn’t have insurance. You may also be eligible for additional money. We regularly recover costs and damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Therapies such as physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Fixing or replacing a vehicle
- Lost wages, if you had to miss work because of the accident
In addition, the court may award you money for significant long-term consequences of the accident, such as a disability or severe pain. We know that money can’t undo your injuries or restore your health, but we also know that the stress of skyrocketing medical costs and missed time from work can make things even worse. Money can help you maintain stability as you navigate this difficult time.
to find a John Foy office near you
If I’m in an accident with an uninsured motorist, is there anything I should do?
The first thing to do after any accident is to get emergency medical treatment for anyone who needs it. If your injuries don’t require immediate attention, we suggest that you remain at the scene and take some simple steps to document what happened and protect your legal rights. We recommend that you:
- Call the police. If the accident causes injuries or significant property damage, Georgia law requires you to report it to the police. The police report is important evidence of what happened, and it also shows that you did your legal duty. Don’t let an uninsured driver convince you that the police don’t need to be involved.
- Don’t lose your temper. An uninsured motorist probably won’t want to take responsibility for the accident, so don’t be surprised if the other driver gets angry or tries to blame you. If you get upset too, you’re likely to say things you might regret, and you may make a poor impression on the police officers. Remember to stay calm and never apologize for an accident you didn’t cause.
- Get some pictures. Photographs can be powerful evidence that supports your case. Take pictures of the scene and the damaged vehicles with your cell phone camera.
- Talk to witnesses. Bystanders and people who stopped to help may have witnessed the accident. Ask them what they observed, and get their names and other contact information.
- Go to the doctor. Even if you think you weren’t hurt, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor. Some car accident injuries get worse as time passes, and legally, you’ll have a stronger claim if you seek medical attention right away.
Uninsured motorist cases are often more complex than cases where the driver who caused the accident had insurance. Because there’s no insurance, it is difficult to recover money without legal help. For these reasons, you should talk to a lawyer as soon as you are able.
Douglasville Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
If the driver is uninsured, how can I get money?
There are many ways to get a financial recovery even if there is no insurance. It’s also possible to recover money if a driver is under-insured, which frequently happens when a driver only has the minimum amount of coverage required by state law:
- $25,000 bodily injury coverage (per victim)
- $50,000 bodily injury coverage (total)
- $25,000 property damage coverage
Because so many drivers only carry minimum coverage, the local courts are used to dealing with cases where the insurance isn’t enough to pay for all the damage caused by the accident. A skilled lawyer will pursue other ways of recovering the money you are legally entitled to. These include:
- Making a claim under the uninsured motorists coverage in your own insurance policy
- Finding other insurance policies that can be used to pay your costs
- Asking the court to order the other driver to pay you directly
- Putting a lien on the other driver’s assets, including houses and cars
To put yourself in a strong position legally, it is critical that you speak with a lawyer as soon as you can after the accident. An attorney can help you get a complete medical evaluation, can help you explore your options, and can make the legal process go as smoothly as possible.
Talk to a Douglasville Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, our mission is to help accident victims. We don’t believe in charging you up-front fees in a time of need. That’s why our consultations are free, and why we never charge you anything unless we win you money. Don’t pay the price for someone else’s poor choices. Let us help. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.