The brain is the centerpiece and essence of the human being. It controls the ability to move, think, function, sleep, and many other important features we need to survive and thrive in the world. Brain injuries are very different from other types of injuries (breaking a leg, for example), and it often takes considerable time to heal and recover.
Severe brain injuries leave both victims and their families frustrated, devastated, and very dependent on other individuals for life support and emotional support. The severity of these types of injuries leaves many families with questions. An Austell traumatic brain injury lawyer from John Foy & Associates can work with victims and their families to obtain the compensation needed.
What Is Considered a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury occurs as the result of a blow to the head or to the body that dramatically affects the brain tissue. This could be due to a bullet, a broken or fractured piece of skull, or torn tissues within the head area that lead to traumatic brain injury. While mild injury to the brain can impact brain cells, bleeding and physical damage can lead to serious brain injury.
While anyone can experience a traumatic brain injury, people involved in certain professions such as sports, military members, firefighters, police officers, and construction workers are at a higher risk for traumatic brain injuries.
to find a John Foy office near you
When to Obtain a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer in Austell
If you have experienced a traumatic brain injury, there are several things you could do to ensure a smoother claims process and that you get the compensation you deserve. An Austell traumatic brain injury can help throughout the following steps:
- Obtain medical attention immediately. After a traumatic accident that affects the brain, it is likely you will need to undergo some serious tests and examinations to determine brain activity and the level of brain injury. Take the time to consult a physician or ER doctor to understand the severity of the brain injury and what may be potential future outcomes as a result of the injury.
- Find an attorney who will look out for your best interests. In cases of traumatic brain injury, even if it isn’t life-threatening, the injury may still limit your ability and time to return to a normal routine in your pre-injury condition. Some damages can be the result of microtrauma which may not show up on a diagnostic test but still have long-term impacts (headaches, blurry vision, and sleeping problems, just to name a few).
- Understand proving liability can be tricky. Unlike a vehicle accident, proving liability can be much more difficult. Since there are often multiple people and parties involved, you will need legal help in getting the right kinds of information that can help support a case to prove liability.
Taking the above points into consideration with an experienced lawyer by your side will ensure your case, condition, and claims are examined appropriately and damages estimated accurately.
Austell Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Obtaining Compensation After a Traumatic Brain Injury
Estimating damages from a traumatic brain injury is very difficult to calculate. It is hard to place a monetary value on sleeping difficulties, loss of memory, issues with balance, inability to walk, and a host of other outcomes after experiencing such a traumatic event. This is where a traumatic brain injury attorney in Austell comes in to help sort out considerations for estimates.
Your attorney will help you properly assess short-term and long-term damages from your injury and determine a clear monetary estimate you should receive for compensation. This estimate could consider the following:
- Rehabilitation services
- Previous and current medical care
- Loss of income and future earnings potential
- Punitive damages especially for recklessness
Additionally, you will need information from medical experts as well as other health providers from which you received care. A medical doctor can help show the impact of the injury on your daily livelihood and the symptoms you will experience long-term as a result. Most Austell traumatic brain injury attorneys have access to these types of medical experts who can help with your case.
Depending on your condition and circumstances, an experienced lawyer should be able to give you an estimate of damages for which you will be compensated.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury
The two primary common causes of traumatic brain injury are car accidents and falls. When you take a violent hit to your head, your brain can experience chemical and physical imbalances. These changes can result in sensitivity to light and sound and headaches.
Under more severe injuries, these changes can cause the brain cells to swell, which often leads to brain damage and impairment. Falls account for approximately 50% of traumatic brain injury ER visits. Other common causes include domestic violence, child abuse, gun violence, and injuries from sports, work or military activity.
Children who experience a traumatic brain injury are affected differently, including stunted development and limited mobility to participate in school activities. If a fall has occurred, it is important to let a doctor or medical professional check it out before assuming everything is okay. Sometimes, brain injury symptoms can sneak up on you without warning.
For a free legal consultation with a traumatic brain injury lawyer serving Austell, call 404-400-4000
Call an Austell Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Today
Serious injuries to the brain can cost millions of dollars for rehab and recovery, and the process can be lengthy and confusing. Dedicated attorneys at John Foy & Associates are committed to advocating for your rights and helping you take the right legal actions. Fill out our online contact form or call our office to schedule a no-cost, risk-free, confidential consultation.