Big rigs are enormous commercial trucks that travel through Johns Creek every day. Truck drivers travel for many miles each week, and they should receive special training to stay safe on the road. However, sometimes a driver is negligent, and accidents happen.
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), nearly 5,000 people were killed in large truck accidents in 2018. The majority of those people were occupants of other vehicles, although some were truck occupants or others like bicyclists. If you were injured or a loved one died in this type of accident, you should know your rights.
Contact our Johns Creek big rig accident lawyers to talk about seeking compensation. You might deserve full financial compensation for your accident damages. To learn more during a free consultation, call John Foy & Associates at (404) 400-4000 or contact us online.
Causes of Big Rig Accidents
Big rigs are large trucks that carry cargo across state and county lines. Other names for big rig trucks include:
Big rigs weigh tens of thousands of pounds. This is enormous compared to a passenger vehicle. Plus, truck cargo can equal multiple tons of weight.
Large trucks are an essential part of our economy. But they’re only useful if they’re safe. While every collision is different, here are some of the most common causes of big rig accidents:
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers work long shifts, and often overnight. Trucking companies also set strict deadlines to push products faster. If a driver doesn’t get proper rest or is overworked, they can become fatigued. Driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of big rig accidents.
- No-zone accidents: Large trucks have “no-zones” where drivers cannot see other vehicles. If a driver stays too long in this area, it can lead to a serious accident.
- Lack of truck maintenance: Big rigs can travel for thousands of miles each week, so upkeep is crucial. If the driver or trucking company doesn’t keep up with maintenance, it can lead to an accident.
- Speeding: Speeding is a common cause of any vehicle accident, including truck accidents. Truck drivers have a higher duty of care than other drivers, so they should avoid risky behavior like speeding. Unfortunately, some truckers still choose to travel too fast.
- Poorly-loaded cargo: Some trucks carry hazardous cargo for many miles. Drivers and companies must ensure cargo is loaded and secured correctly. If not, it can lead to a severe crash and deadly injuries.
After the accident, you’ll need to determine the cause. If you were not at fault, you might have a claim against the truck driver or their employer.
to find a John Foy office near you
Liability in a Big Rig Accident
In Georgia, the at-fault party in an accident is liable for the damages. Common personal injury damages include:
- Doctor and hospital bills
- Prescription medications
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Vehicle repairs or replacement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
If a big rig driver causes an accident, liability depends on their employment status. If a trucking company employs the driver, the company is probably at fault. However, the trucker might be liable if they are an independent contractor.
It’s best to contact a Johns Creek big rig accident lawyer after your accident. These crashes are very complicated, and it can be hard to know where to start. An experienced lawyer can investigate and help you file an accident claim.
Johns Creek Big Rig Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
Recovering Compensation After the Accident
If you didn’t cause the accident, you are probably entitled to compensation. Typically, the first step is to file an insurance claim against the driver or trucking company. Before you can do that, you’ll need to gather evidence.
Here are some steps to take to begin seeking compensation:
- Take pictures of the accident scene.
- Photograph your injuries and vehicle damage.
- Talk to eyewitnesses to the accident. Get their names and contact information.
- Get any necessary emergency medical treatment for your injuries.
- Save all medical bills and other documentation of your damages.
- Contact a big rig accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Big rig accidents tend to be very severe. In most cases, victims suffer terrible injuries that leave them hospitalized with costly medical treatments. Tragically, many truck accidents also lead to wrongful death.
Don’t wait if you or a loved one were victims of a big rig accident. Contact an experienced lawyer in your area about your options. At John Foy & Associates, we can review your case and go over your legal rights.
To discuss your accident with a free consultation, call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online. We are available 24/7 to take your call, and we don’t get paid unless we win you money.
Partial Fault in a Big Rig Accident
There is sometimes more than one party at fault in a truck accident. For example, the truck driver and another driver could be partly to blame. Because of Georgia’s comparative negligence laws, you might have multiple injury claims.
If you were partially at fault, you might still have compensation rights. You can still recover damages if you were less than 50% at fault. You’re only barred from recovering if you were 50% or more at fault. However, talk to a lawyer before admitting any blame for the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a big rig accidents lawyer serving Johns Creek, call 404-400-4000
How a Johns Creek Big Rig Accident Lawyer Can Help
Truck accidents are some of the highest-damage collisions in Johns Creek. If you or a loved one were victims, we highly recommend contacting a lawyer. Our attorneys always start with a free consultation, so there are no strings attached.
An experienced lawyer can help you build and file an insurance claim against the at-fault party. If the insurance company doesn’t settle, your lawyer can help you take the case to court. Your attorney can also handle communication between you and the insurer.
Other ways a lawyer can help include:
- Gathering evidence from the scene
- Documenting and calculating your damages
- Building a strong injury case
- Helping you avoid saying anything that can be used against you
- Assisting your family in building a wrongful death claim
Talk to a Johns Creek Big Rig Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a family member were injured in a big rig accident, reach out today. We might be able to help you seek the fairest compensation possible. Contact us today to learn more during a free consultation.
Call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online to get started today.