Michaels stores in Georgia offer an extensive selection of arts and crafts supplies in addition to custom framing, home décor, and seasonal items. Plenty of inventory to help you create your next project; however, having a slip and fall accident in one of their stores could create a lifetime of pain and suffering.
The slip and fall attorneys at John Foy & Associates are here to help. Call us at (404) 400-4000 to find out about our no-obligation consultation. We will review your Michaels slip and fall case and talk to you about your options for compensation.
Michaels Stores, Inc.
Michaels opened its first store in 1973 in Dallas, and the company has grown into a large corporation in the decades since. Currently, there are more than 1,200 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada making it the largest specialty retailer for home décor, arts, and crafts in North America.
Large corporations like Michaels have ample resources to fight slip and fall lawsuits. Attempting to negotiate for a slip and fall settlement on your own could be a mistake. The experienced lawyers employed by Michaels will try to shift the blame for your injuries back to you. If you admit fault it could effectively end your chances of earning the compensation you deserve.
Rather than dealing with Michaels yourself, contact the Georgia slip and fall attorneys at John Foy & Associates today and we will talk to them for you.
Get the strong arm
Michaels Store Hazards
A slip and fall accident could happen at any store, but the sheer size of the average Michaels store could contribute to a dangerous environment. With more than 40,000 products stocked in an average space of 18,200 square feet, employees may have a difficult time monitoring and maintaining every aisle.
Some potential dangers that could cause you to slip and fall in a Michaels store include:
- Merchandise that is stacked in the aisles or has fallen off the shelf
- Snow or rain tracked inside by other customers or employees
- A spill that is not promptly cleaned up
- Burned out light bulbs that have not been replaced, making it difficult to see hazards
- Damaged floors
- Floor mats that are not placed properly
- Floors that are over polished or still wet after being mopped
Some of these conditions are difficult to avoid. Light bulbs will burn out and floors will be mopped. What matters is how the employees at Michaels respond to these hazards.
Light bulbs should be replaced promptly, and wet floors should be dried or cordoned off with a safety sign. If Michaels did not create a safe environment for you as their customer, they may be found liable if you are injured due to their negligence.
Premises Liability and Duty of Care
All businesses in Georgia have to establish an environment where customers will be safe on their property. This is called the “duty of care.” If Michaels breaches this duty, their negligence opens the door for you to file a premises liability claim seeking reimbursement for your injuries.
You and your lawyers will need to prove the following in your premises liability claim against Michaels:
- There was a hazard on the property
- Employees of the store knew about the hazard
- The hazard was not corrected
- You did not know about the hazard
- You slipped and fell because of the hazardous conditions
- You were injured by the fall
What You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
You can be your own best advocate after you slip and fall in a Michaels store. Take the following steps to build evidence and strengthen your case:
- Take photos of the area where your fall occurred
- Talk to other shoppers in the vicinity who witnessed the incident and write down their contact information
- Tell the manager on duty about your fall
- Go to a doctor or hospital to have your injuries treated
- Save all of your medical bills, records, and receipts related to your injuries
- Call a slip and fall lawyer to assist you with your case
Why You Should Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney
The statute of limitations: Civil Practice Code § 9-3-33, established by the Georgia General Assembly, requires you to file your personal injury lawsuit within two years after your accident. Therefore, it is important to contact a slip and fall lawyer right away.
Proving premises liability can be a challenge, but when you hire a John Foy & Associates attorney we will go right to work on your case by:
- Contacting witnesses and taking their statements
- Tracking down and reviewing video recordings of your accident
- Gathering your medical records and invoices
- Talking to your employer to get documentation of time off for your injuries
- Negotiating on your behalf with Michaels and their corporate attorneys
Call John Foy & Associates Today
Reach out to the Strong Arm lawyers at John Foy & Associates if you were a slip and fall accident victim at a Michaels store in Georgia. There is no risk to you because we only get paid if you win your case. Call John Foy & Associates at (404) 400-4000 to schedule your free consultation.