Drunk driving is one of the biggest causes of vehicle accidents in Dawsonville. DUI accidents are also a leading cause of injuries—from minor to fatal— on the road. If you or a loved one was hurt by a drunk drive in Dawsonville, you should know your legal rights, especially the right to financial recovery for your injuries and other losses from the accident. You need to speak with a Dawsonville drunk driving accident lawyer.
Our lawyers at John Foy & Associates know how to work drunk driving cases. We know insurance companies rarely ever initially offer pay out what you’re truly owed. With more than 20 years of experience and as one of the biggest Georgia law firms, we’re here to help. And working with us is risk-free: we don’t get paid unless you get the money. Call us today for a FREE consultation at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to the right to discuss you case with us.
What are my rights if I was injured by a drunk driver in Dawsonville?
If you were injured by a drunk drive in Dawsonville, you’re entitled to the same rights as any victim hit in a car accident—and possibly even more. That includes recovering:
- Any costs related to the accident, such as medical bills for treatment of injuries, car repairs, and missed time from work due to your injuries.
- Money for pain and suffering or other personal loss. You deserve financial recovery that helps you get back on your feet and lead a normal life again, especially if you’re dealing with severe injuries that affect your quality of life or you lost someone in the accident.
- Punitive damages. This is additional money you may be entitled to as, well. If so, the drunk driver will be ordered to pay you additional money as a reparations for illegal and reckless behavior.
- Wrongful death claim. If you lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, your family can file a claim on behalf of the victim for much of the financial recovery they would receive if they were alive.
The drunk driver doesn’t even need to be convicted of DUI for you to recover for many of these. Although, if they are convicted, it can just provide you with a stronger case.
to find a John Foy office near you
What should I do after a car accident with a drunk driver?
If you were just in a car accident with a drunk driver, here’s what you should do:
- Get any necessary medical treatment immediately. If you or someone else in the drunk driving accident was severely injured, call for emergency medical help right away. If you didn’t sustain injuries that seem serious, you’ll want to do the following steps next.
- Call the police. Report the accident and any injuries or vehicle damage that occurred. Stay at the scene until an officer arrives so you’re able to give them your side of the story. Make sure the officer at the scene creates a police report, as this will be important for your case. If you think the other driver is drunk, tell officers and explain why you think this. Even if you’re not completely sure they’re under the influence, telling police can lead them to do a sobriety or Breathalyzer test on the driver.
- Document the aftermath. Take pictures of any and all injuries and vehicle damage you suffered. Take video too, if you can—especially if the other driver if they’re acting intoxicated. Many drunk drivers will try to hide any evidence of their DUI, so pay close attention to what they do and how they act. If they seem to be throwing anything away or acting strangely, try to get a video on your phone. Be careful not to get involved with them, though, especially if they try to make excuses, get violent, or place the blame on you.
- Contact your lawyer. Drunk driving accidents can be emotional and messy. Get a drunk driving accident lawyer on your side to help you navigate what happens after the accident. They’ll help you know what do to build the strongest case possible for financial recovery. And always speak with your lawyer before talking to insurance companies. Insurers are known for trying to manipulate victims and pay them as little as possible. This is just another reason an experienced lawyer is so valuable.
Dawsonville Drunk Driving Victim Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What if I was a passenger in the drunk driver’s car?
If you were in the car of the drunk driver, you might worry you don’t have a case—or worse, that you could be responsible for some of the accident. But don’t worry: if you didn’t cause the accident, you’re still entitled to recovery for ALL injuries and losses you suffered.
However, there are cases there the local courts don’t want to award full recovery to passengers of a drunk driver. This could especially be the case if the passenger knew the driver was intoxicated but still chose to get in the car with them. Since this could happen, it’s best to speak with a drunk driving accident lawyer so you can know the best way to handle these types of situations.
Talk to a Dawsonville Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer for Free
A lot can happen during and after drunk driving accidents. If you’re not sure where to turn next, it can feel frustrating and overwhelming. But thankfully, our firm brings 20+ years of experience to the table. As one of the biggest Georgia law firms, we’ve worked on countless drunk driving accident cases and are familiar with just about every situation. And we always take the side of the victim—not the drunk driver or insurance company. If you’re ready to receive the help you deserve, we’d love to speak with you. For a FREE consultation, give us a call at 404-400-4000 or complete the form to the right.