Being in a car accident can be one of the scariest moments of your life. And it doesn’t always stop when the accident is over. From battling with insurance companies to ever-growing medical bills, trying to get the financial recovery you or your loved ones deserve can seem near impossible—and people go through this almost every day in Carrollton.
If you’ve been in an accident, you don’t have to face the aftermath alone. Our Carrollton car accident lawyers can help you. For 20 years, the attorneys of John Foy & Associates have focused their work on getting car accident victims the settlements they deserve.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been in a Car Accident?
The moments immediately following a car accident can be tense and confusing. The best thing you can do is start looking out for your own rights—and wellbeing—from the start. Provided below is a short list of things to do if you are in an accident:
- Get to safety: Your safety is the number one priority. Make sure everyone relocates to a safe place and watch for traffic—even as you initially step out of your car. If you move your vehicle, inform the other driver first if possible, and get pictures before you move it if it is safe to do so.
- Call 911 or the police: If there is an emergency such as a fire or serious injury, call 911. For all non-emergencies, call the local police or sheriff department and ask for a squad car. Never leave an accident scene without calling the police and waiting for them to arrive.
- Exchange information with the other driver: Ask for their name, number, and address, and provide your information to them as well. They should do this voluntarily; if they become belligerent, ease off, but wait for the police to arrive. Get their license plate in case they leave the scene, which is usually illegal, according to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) § 40-6-270.
- Talk to witnesses and get pictures or video of the scene: These are the two best ways to build evidence for your case. If there are any witnesses, always ask for their contact information.
to find a John Foy office near you
Who Is at Fault in a Car Accident in Carrollton?
The rules regarding who is at fault in a car accident are often quite clear, whether in Carrollton or elsewhere in Georgia:
- If one driver broke a traffic law and the other driver did not, the lawbreaker is usually at fault.
- If one person drove irresponsibly, such as texting while driving, that person is usually at fault.
- If one of the cars is mechanically deficient in some way, such as faulty brakes, the driver of that car is probably at fault. In some cases, the manufacturer or mechanic who caused the defect may also be liable.
- In a rear-end accident, the driver in the back is usually at fault. Exceptions include if the driver in front was driving erratically or there was a multi-car pileup that the driver in back could not avoid.
A Carrollton car accident attorney can investigate the circumstances of your case to determine fault and liability in the crash.
Carrollton Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What Is Whiplash?
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries associated with car accidents. It’s especially common when a driver gets hit from behind. The force of the impact pushes the cervical spine (neck) upward against the head. Your torso is then thrust forward while your head is not. This causes the spine to twist unnaturally.
Next, your head typically whips backward, bounces off the seat, and then flings forward, all while the seatbelt constrains the body. These strong, jerky movements of your neck and head cause soft tissue damage in your neck.
Whiplash doesn’t always show up right away after an accident. It may become pronounced hours or days later. Other related neck injuries can happen in other types of accidents, even when you are not hit from behind. Common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Mild to severe neck pain; either local in one spot or a general area
- Neck stiffness/ reduced range of motion
- Neck instability – caused by damage to the soft tissue in the neck
- Radiating pain, tingling, weakness, or numbness
Doctors may prescribe a variety of treatments for it, including massage therapy, physical therapy, over-the-counter meds, or prescription medication. Acupuncture has also been shown to be useful in some cases. The costs of these treatments should be included in your car accident claim.
However, whiplash is far from the only injury associated with car accidents. Other serious neck and back injuries, along with broken bones, head injuries, joint injuries, and severe internal injuries are all possible. Always see a doctor after your accident.
What Damages Are Available in a Car Accident?
The only way to know exactly how much you’re owed in your car accident case is to calculate all the damages that the other party caused. Damages, both economic (clear financial costs) and non-economic (more abstract tolls on your quality of life), are the basis for compensation in any car crash claim.
To show how much your settlement should be, your car accident attorney in Carrollton will tally up your damages. Those may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages due to missed work during the recovery process
- Property damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
When your car crash lawyer gets to work on your case, they will use medical documents, bills, and receipts to calculate how much you’re owed. Only by being stubborn and showing the insurance company how much your accident harmed you can an attorney get you the settlement you really deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call 404-400-4000
How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help Me?
For many car accident victims, having a lawyer on your side can be the single biggest factor in how much money you end up recovering. Lawyers do more than just talk to the insurers for you – they are your ally who knows the law. Benefits of having a lawyer include:
- They determine if you’re getting a fair deal: Lawyers are wise to the tactics insurance companies use to underpay people. A good car accident lawyer will work to get you the best deal possible.
- They assist you in proving what happened: An effective lawyer will build a case to prove who was at fault and how much money you need.
- They negotiate: Lawyers know the state statutes about car accidents, how past cases were settled, and how to hold insurance companies accountable for what is rightfully owed to you.
- They understand the Carroll County court system: Navigating a complex legal system can be daunting for car accident victims. Having an experienced lawyer guide you through the entire process, from beginning to end, is important.
Never face a complicated insurance process without a professional – and never let yourself get paid less than you deserve. Always take the time to talk to a lawyer. The car accident lawyers in Carrollton at John Foy & Associates are here to protect your rights and best interests.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
When they have your best interests in mind, your car accident lawyer should cost you nothing up front. Many law firms, including ours, work on a contingency-fee basis. Contingency fees are based on how much you get from your settlement – you’re only charged once you have a successful claim.
How much your lawyer charges you in contingency fees will depend on several factors surrounding your case. Those include:
- The difficulty of your case
- Any additional legal expenses like subpoena fees
- How long your claim takes to resolve
- How much compensation you stand to receive
Of course, your first consultation with your lawyer won’t cost you anything at all. At that initial meeting, your attorney will let you know how much their fees are likely to be. Once you both come to an agreement on their contingency payment, they will get to work to help you get a settlement that covers all your damages.
The Statute of Limitations in a Car Accident Case
There is a deadline for a car accident claim in Carrollton. It’s called the statute of limitations, and in Georgia, the statute of limitations for your car accident claim will likely be two years from the date of the accident. If you miss that deadline, you could lose out on your compensation altogether.
Two years may seem like plenty of time to get started, but it’s best to not wait. In some cases, your window of time may be much shorter, and it will take time for your attorney to get everything together for your claim. You should call a car accident lawyer in Carrollton as soon as you can.
Talk to a Carrollton Car Accident Lawyer for Free
Being in a car crash is a scary and emotional experience. You don’t have to face it alone. Let the Carrollton car accident lawyers at John Foy & Associates fight for your rights and get you the money you deserve. With our 20+ years of experience, our knowledgeable lawyers will guide you through every step of the process.
We’ll work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome in your case. From uncooperative insurance companies to at-fault drivers with no insurance, our lawyers have seen it all—and we can help. You pay nothing unless we recover money for you.
Let us give you a no-risk, FREE consultation. Call us or contact us online to get your free consultation today.