Rear-end car accidents are widespread, and they can be severe. Nationwide, almost half of all two-vehicle car accidents are rear-end collisions, with many leading to severe injuries. The damages for these types of injuries can easily reach hundreds of thousands of dollars, and you shouldn’t have to pay for any of them.
The Augusta rear-end collision lawyers at John Foy & Associates have been helping injured victims for over 20 years. We believe that you have a right to a full financial recovery, and we can help you get the money you need. Contact us at (404) 400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
Rear-End Collisions Are Serious
The latest facts and statistics on highway safety from the Insurance Information Institute revealed that in 2019, rear-end collisions made up 7.1% of all fatal car accidents in the U.S. Rear-end collisions are just as deadly as any other type of car crash.
Just because a car doesn’t hit you head-on doesn’t mean you won’t get seriously injured. So, don’t just assume that a rear-end collision isn’t something to concern yourself over. With thousands dying and many more getting injured every year, you should always file a claim after a rear-end collision and get a settlement for your damages.
to find a John Foy office near you
How Is a Rear-End Collision Defined in Augusta?
Anytime the front of one car hits the back of another vehicle, it’s a rear-end collision. In Augusta, the most common causes of rear-end accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe lane changes
Many people think that the definition of a rear-end accident depends on the speeds involved. This simply isn’t true. We’ve seen very low-speed rear-end accidents in parking lots or at stoplights, and some of these accidents cause the airbag to release, leading to serious injuries.
We’ve also seen high-speed rear-end accidents on freeways, especially those involving lane changes or poor visibility conditions. High-speed rear-end accidents can destroy the vehicles involved and cause severe injuries or even death.
Augusta Rear End Collisions Lawyer Near Me 706-400-4000
What Types of Injuries Are Common in Rear-End Collisions?
You can sustain many types of injuries due to a rear-end accident. However, some of the most common include:
- Whiplash injuries: Whiplash is a painful condition caused by the head being thrown suddenly forward by an impact from behind. The sudden movement can tear the tendons in the neck, causing pain that lasts for weeks, months, or years. Whiplash isn’t always painful at first. Many people don’t feel the effects until a day or two after the accident.
- Injuries caused by airbags: Airbags are life-saving devices. However, they can also cause injuries in their own right. When an airbag deploys, you can end up with bruises and lacerations, a concussion, or even a broken nose.
Never insist you’re “fine” after an accident. The reality is that all injuries, no matter how seemingly small, should be seen by a doctor.
How Much Money Can I Recover for a Rear-End Accident in Augusta?
You’re entitled to recover the total cost of the accident. This can include many types of expenses, such as:
- Medical bills
- The cost of medication
- The cost of physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Wages lost due to missed work time
- Car repairs
In many cases, the cost of a car accident can run over $100,000. However, insurance companies will offer you far less. You should always speak to a rear-end collision lawyer in Augusta and get a professional opinion on whether the amount you’re getting offered is fair.
For a free legal consultation with a rear end collisions lawyer serving Augusta, call 706-400-4000
Are There Other Damages That I Can Collect After My Rear-End Collision?
The damages listed above aren’t the only types of damages you can factor into your settlement. In addition to them, you can receive compensation for non-economic damages and punitive damages as well.
Unlike damages such as car repairs or medical expenses, non-economic damages don’t have a fixed value. What this means is that the values of these damages fluctuate depending on their severity and how much they’ve impacted you. Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
These damages are just as worthwhile for compensation as your lost wages and medical bills. You shouldn’t let the insurance company downplay them and avoid paying them. Always hold them accountable. While money can’t replace the life of a loved one or heal every wound, we hope that it can give you the closure you need and the means to move forward with your life.
Under the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) 51-12-5.1, you can recover an award for punitive damages. The court hands out punitive damages as a way to punish a negligent party for their actions.
Keep in mind, not all rear-end collision cases will result in punitive damages. Your case will have to qualify under specific criteria. Usually, punitive damages get awarded when:
- The driver was egregiously negligent in their actions
- The driver intentionally tried to cause you harm
- The driver was committing an illegal act and hurt you in the process
Even though not all cases will qualify, our Augusta rear-end collision lawyers will look over all aspects of your case to determine if it can. If so, we will seek to get you rewarded accordingly.
How Are Rear-End Accidents Different From Other Car Accidents?
Rear-end accidents are prevalent and also have a high rate of injuries. This alone makes them stand out from other types of accidents. However, perhaps the most significant difference is determining who’s at fault.
In a rear-end accident, the fault almost always lies with the car’s driver in the back. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, such as when the driver in front changed lanes illegally or without warning, but the liability is easy to determine for the most part.
This means a good car accident lawyer can build a strong case for you and help you get the full amount you deserve from the insurance company, often far more than the settlement they initially offered you.
What Should I Do After a Rear-End Collision in Augusta?
We urge all accident victims to be your own best advocate. This means taking simple, common-sense steps to protect yourself and your rights. These include:
- Always call the police: Often the other driver will say you can work it out among yourselves, without police and lawyers. Don’t fall for it. You need a police report to make a strong claim, and you cannot risk the other driver refusing to pay. Call the police for any car accident.
- Talk to witnesses: Did anyone else see what happened? Ask what they saw and then see if they will give you their name and contact information. Their testimony could be invaluable later.
- Take pictures: The more pictures you can take, the better. Get shots of the damage to the car, any injuries you have, and zoomed-out pictures of the accident scene and what happened.
- Avoid apologizing or taking the blame: It’s human nature to want to apologize after an accident. But this can be interpreted as admitting you are at fault. Stay firm, and don’t say anything that could be twisted and used against you.
Remember, the law guarantees you a financial recovery to pay for your injuries and costs, but the insurance company will do everything possible to prevent you from getting it. Talk to a rear-end collision lawyer in Augusta as soon as possible after the accident.
Talk to an Augusta Rear-End Collision Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we have the experience, knowledge, and dedication to help you. We don’t charge our clients anything upfront or anything ever unless we win money for you. So don’t risk missing out on your financial recovery. Call our Augusta rear-end collision lawyers at (404) 400-4000, or fill out the form to your right and get your free consultation today.