People often think that parking lot accidents are minor because the cars are traveling at a slow speed. But parking lot collisions in Atlanta can cause painful injuries, especially if drivers are traveling too fast or pedestrians are involved. If you’ve been hurt in a parking lot accident, you may suffer from severe pain, broken bones, whiplash and other injuries, and you may need costly medical care. But you do not have to pay for the full cost of your treatment. An Atlanta parking lot accident lawyer can help you get the financial recovery you need.
At John Foy & Associates, we have devoted our law practice exclusively to protecting the rights of accident victims. We have a long track record of helping victims get enough money to continue their treatment and stay on a strong financial footing while they recover. We’d like to explain what we can do for you. Schedule a free consultation and will talk about your case and advise you on the options you have. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What are the most common causes of parking lot accidents?
People are in parking lots often have other things on their minds. They’re impatient to find a space. And they’re navigating chaotic traffic patterns, with pedestrians everywhere and cars stopping and backing up. As a result, parking lot collisions are extremely common. Some of the causes we see most often in parking lot accidents include:
- Drivers who back up and don’t see a person, car or shopping cart behind them
- Pedestrians who fail to see a car
- Drivers who ignore traffic patterns, cutting across spaces and driving the wrong way in one-way lanes
- Driving under the influence
- Obscured vision, such as when a large vehicle or other obstruction prevents you from seeing whether you can back up safely
- Distracted drivers
- Runaway shopping carts
In the City of Atlanta, parking lot accidents are also often caused by factors other than drivers and pedestrians. These include unsafe construction, poor maintenance and signage, inadequate lighting, failure to remove snow and other hazards, or a defect in one of the vehicles involved.
to find a John Foy office near you
Who is at fault in a parking lot accident in Atlanta?
Most of the time, the car that is backing into traffic is liable in a parking lot collision. But in some cases, establishing liability can be difficult, with different witnesses offering vastly different accounts of what happened. Other causes such as poor lighting and maintenance are usually only apparent after investigation. A good Atlanta parking lot accident lawyer can uncover the cause of your accident, find out who is responsible, and pursue a full recovery for all the damage you suffered.
Atlanta Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
What kinds of injuries do people suffer in parking lot accidents?
Parking lot accidents can cause surprisingly serious injuries. This is particularly true if you were a pedestrian or were struck while getting into or out of the car, when you didn’t have the benefit of a seat belt and other safety protections. Common injuries in parking lot accidents include:
- Neck injuries such as whiplash
- Head injuries from hitting your head on the windshield or interior of the car
- Broken bones, head injuries, scrapes and bruises from being hit by a car while a pedestrian
- Back injuries
- Damage to your vehicle
Many people who are hurt in a parking lot dismiss their injuries as minor and fail to get medical attention. Then, days or weeks later, they develop pain, stiffness and other complications that might have been less serious if they had seen a doctor right away. We recommend that you always seek treatment as soon as possible after any accident.
What should I do if I’m in a parking lot accident?
If you’re in a parking lot accident, your first priority is to get emergency medical treatment for yourself and anyone who needs it. If you’re able, the are also other steps you can take to protect yourself legally:
- Call the police to report the accident. Police may not make a report and file charges if the accident occurred on private property, but you should nonetheless get the officer’s name and badge number.
- Take pictures. Use your cell phone to get shots of the accident scene and the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicles and property involved.
- Talk to witnesses. Parking lots are busy places, and chances are that someone else saw what happened and stopped to see if everyone was ok. Find out what they saw and get their contact information.
- Exchange information. Get the other driver’s name and contact information and take a cell phone picture of their insurance card and driver’s license.
- Protect yourself. Do not apologize for the accident or accept blame, even if the other driver accuses you. Statements you make at the accident scene can be used against you later.
- Look around. Check whether the parking lot is equipped with surveillance cameras. Surveillance video can be useful evidence.
For a free legal consultation with a parking lot accidents lawyer serving Atlanta, call 404-400-4000
What damages can I recover in a parking lot accident case?
Even if you only suffer minor injuries, you are entitled to recover all the costs of your treatment. The local courts are authorized to award you money for:
- Medical bills
- Prescription medication
- Physical and rehabilitative therapies
- Car repairs, or replacement if your car was totaled
- Lost wages, if you missed time from work because of the accident
Most parking lot cases, however, never end up in court. We have a successful track record of negotiating with insurance companies for the highest amount possible.
Talk to an Atlanta Parking Lot Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, we have the skill and experience to handle all types of parking lot injury cases. We dedicate ourselves to investigating your accident, assessing your injuries, and getting you a financial recovery that allows you to move forward with your life. We offer a free consultation to discuss your accident and outline your options. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.