Garbage trucks provide essential services in Roswell, but they also come with risks. If a driver or someone else is careless, it can lead to a serious accident. But if you were injured, you can probably seek compensation for your costs.
Our Roswell garbage truck accident lawyers can help. At John Foy & Associates, we hold truck companies and their drivers accountable. We are not afraid to stand up for your legal rights today.
Call us today for a FREE consultation. We don’t collect a fee unless we win you money. Call (404) 400-4000 or fill out our contact form to get started for free.
How Garbage Trucks Become Dangerous
Garbage trucks pick up and transport waste throughout the city. The drivers take the garbage to landfills or to be recycled. While this is a necessary service, there are potential dangers with garbage trucks on the road.
Garbage trucks are large, bulky vehicles. They often carry heavy loads from one place to another. The large size and difficult maneuvers can easily lead to serious accidents. Other drivers, pedestrians, or bicyclists can suffer severe injuries and damages during a garbage truck crash.
Garbage trucks often travel through neighborhoods, which puts many people at risk. If the driver isn’t careful, they might collide with other vehicles or people walking near the street. Garbage trucks also have large blind spots that can lead to crashes in areas where visibility is low. Any of these situations can lead to significant injuries or even death.
Challenges of Bringing a Garbage Truck Accident Case
Most garbage truck drivers are employed by trucking companies. Unfortunately, this can make bringing an injury claim more complicated.
Trucking companies will often do whatever they can to avoid liability after an accident, even if it hurts their employee. Trucking companies also have large insurance policies, and insurance companies fight hard to protect their money.
You’ll need to be prepared for the more common trucking company or insurance company tactics. Here are some ways the companies might try to fight your claim:
- Sending a lowball offer: Insurance companies often send a low settlement offer upfront. The company hopes you’ll accept the money and end your case. For this reason, do not accept any settlement without talking to an experienced lawyer first.
- Asking for statements: The insurance company might ask you to give a statement about the accident. If you agree, the company might have something they can use against you. Talk to a lawyer before agreeing to give any statements.
- Taking a long time to respond: Insurance companies can also delay answering your claim. They’re hoping that you’ll accept a lowball offer out of desperation or drop the case completely.
- Trying to hide evidence: The trucking company might look for ways to hide certain information. For example, they might forgo drug testing if the driver could have been under the influence. The company might also try to clean up the scene or get rid of records before you can get them.
Contacting a lawyer is the best way to protect your legal rights. Be sure to work with a Roswell garbage truck accident lawyer. They will have experience working with these types of cases.
John Foy & Associates has been helping truck accident victims for over 20 years. We are not afraid to handle trucking and insurance companies. While you focus on healing, we’ll deal with the legal side of things.
Call us at (404) 400-4000 to get a FREE consultation. You can also fill out our online contact form.
Evidence that Can Help Your Claim
You will need some information to back up your truck accident case. The following evidence is important for showing what happened:
- A copy of the police accident report
- Pictures from the accident scene
- Photos of your injuries and vehicle damage
- Copies of medical records and doctor bills
- Receipts and other documentation of your injuries
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Driver “black box” data and work logs
If you’re well enough to do so, gather information at the scene. Most importantly, call for an ambulance if you need emergency medical treatment. Don’t delay seeing a doctor, even if you think you can handle your injuries.
A lawyer can help with all of the above steps and more. In fact, it’s best to contact a garbage truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney can protect you from the insurance companies and make sure you’re on the right track.
Common Truck Accident Damages
Personal injury damages are your losses from the accident. There are two main types of damages:
1. Special Damages
Special damages are economic losses like:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Future medical expenses
You can usually prove these losses through set dollar amounts. However, you’ll also need to account for any future medical treatment. See a doctor as soon as possible to determine your full treatment needs. From there, you can calculate current special damages and estimate future damages.
2. General Damages
General damages are harder to prove than special damages. These damages can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Anxiety, depression, or PTSD
These damages do not have a set dollar amount. But a lawyer can use a formula to determine the worth of these damages. They’ll combine them with your special damages to know the full value of your claim.
It’s important to know your damages before filing a truck accident claim. Talk to a lawyer today to learn more about your losses and rights. You’ll understand what a fair settlement looks like. The goal is to get you the fullest compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Roswell Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer Today
At John Foy & Associates, we’re here for all injury victims throughout Georgia. With over 20 years of experience, we know how to build strong claims and protect your rights.
Learn more during a FREE consultation. We do not charge a fee unless we win you compensation. Call us at (404) 400-4000 or fill out our contact page form to get started.