A fatal car accident in Covington could exact a heavy toll on you, a loved one of the deceased. As you grieve a tragic loss, you may also face sudden and unexpected financial strain that compounds your suffering. At the law firm of John Foy & Associates, we help spouses and family members of Covington fatal car accident victims seek justice and financial compensation for their loss.
Of course, money cannot replace a life cut short by a preventable car accident, but it can assist you and your family in paying unplanned expenses, replacing lost income and financial benefits, and rebuilding after a senseless tragedy. If you are a loved one of a victim of a Covington car accident, call John Foy & Associates to get the support and compensation you deserve.
Wrongful Death Action for a Fatal Covington Car Accident
Georgia’s Wrongful Death Act authorizes you, as the surviving spouse, child, or parent of an individual who dies because of someone else’s criminal or negligent act, to sue that party for money damages. This is known as a wrongful death action.
Following a fatal car accident in Covington, you may have the right to pursue a wrongful death action in Newton County Superior Court or the federal district court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Potential Compensation After a Fatal Car Accident
The Wrongful Death Act entitles you to seek compensation for the “full value of the life” of your deceased loved one. This can include:
- The value of your loved one’s lost future earnings
- The value of services your loved one would have provided to a household
- The value of your loved one’s lost employment, disability, and Social Security benefits
- The intangible (non-economic) value of your loved one’s life, as determined by a jury
Georgia law generally does not permit you to seek punitive damages for your loved one’s wrongful death (since the statute itself is designed to punish the wrongdoer). Nor does it allow you to seek damages for your own pain, suffering, or loss of companionship.
But if your loved one initially survived a Covington car accident, only to later succumb to crash-related injuries, the law may permit you to seek damages for your loved one’s pain and suffering prior to death and for medical expenses your loved one incurred.
At John Foy & Associates, we understand how unnatural it may seem to place a “value” on your loved one’s life. Our caring, diligent team works with you to learn about your loved one’s joys, loves, hopes, and contributions. Then, we get to work building a case that seeks an amount of damages that does justice for your loved one, and that honors the life that has been lost.
Get the strong arm
Services We Provide in Fatal Car Accident Cases
No two wrongful death cases we handle at John Foy & Associates are alike. A tragic death in a Covington car accident inflicts a personal loss that cannot be compared to any other. Our Covington fatal car accident attorneys and legal professionals are committed to providing personalized legal services tailored to meet each of our client’s individual needs and priorities.
The John Foy & Associates team possesses the combined skill and resources to face the challenges of even the most complex and difficult Covington car accident case. As circumstances require, our team will:
- Investigate the root causes of a fatal car accident (often with the assistance of forensic experts) to identify the party or parties at fault who should be held accountable.
- Act to locate and preserve important evidence to use in proving a party’s legal and financial liability for a fatal crash.
- Evaluate the “full value” of a deceased accident victim’s life in a compassionate and dignified manner.
- Answer questions and advise our clients about their legal rights and options in suing for wrongful death, as well as about the many complicated and consequential decisions families often must make in the aftermath of a sudden loss.
- Prepare and file informal and formal demands for compensation, such as insurance claims and court complaints.
- Advocate in and out of court for our clients’ interests and to see justice done for their deceased loved one, including by interacting with the press and official accident investigators.
- Negotiate with at-fault parties, their fatal car accident lawyers in Covington, and their insurance representatives, in order to secure a full, fair settlement of a wrongful death claim when possible.
- Go to trial in Georgia courtrooms to prove our client’s case for wrongful death compensation to a judge or jury.
- Collect monies owed to our clients through a settlement, judgment, or jury award.
For more than 20 years, John Foy & Associates has built a strong track record of results in fatal car accident cases and has earned the trust of clients case after case.
Two Steps You Can Take to Protect Your Rights
The aftermath of a fatal car accident in Covington can feel overwhelming. It’s difficult to know where to turn for help or whose advice to follow. Although every case is unique, you can generally protect your and your family’s rights and interests by following these two simple steps:
- Contact a skilled car accident attorney in Covington immediately. The team at John Foy & Associates is available around-the-clock to speak with you in a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation.
- Until you’ve spoken with an attorney, do not sign anything or agree to any offers by an insurance company to settle your claim. Insurance companies hoping to avoid financial responsibility for your loved one’s death may try to take advantage of you.
Contact a Covington Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Today
If a Covington car accident has tragically taken the life of your spouse or family member, the team at John Foy & Associates wants to help you navigate this difficult time, seek justice, and secure the financial compensation you need to heal and rebuild. We fight to honor the life you have lost and to protect your interests in the future.
To speak for free with an experienced, caring legal professional, call or contact us online today.