Lawyers have thorough training and knowledge regarding the law. It is their business to know your rights in your legal case. Many attorneys will specialize in specific areas of the law because it would be impossible to know every aspect of every category of the law.
Lawyers who work in personal injury matters, such as car accidents, slip and fall cases, and dog bites, practice in the category of “torts.” Many attorneys will also further specialize their practice by only starting or defending lawsuits.
Why should I have a lawyer for my personal injury case?
Technically, you don’t need an attorney to start a lawsuit. But, it’s a good idea to have one because attorneys bring a lot of value to your claim. Lawyers who practice in personal injury cases see cases like yours literally every day. They can put that knowledge and experience to work for you by:
- Evaluating your situation to determine what the value of your claim may be compared to similar cases in your area and how likely you are to win your case at trial
- Negotiating with an insurance company, employer, or anyone else who may be involved in your case
- Investigating the accident
- Gathering and analyzing medical records on your behalf
- Knowing what to prove to win your case and how to do it—you need to know what you should show before you can start gathering evidence and information
- Presenting your case to a judge, jury, or insurance adjuster in the best way possible
Although many people hesitate to get a lawyer for their situation because they think they are expensive, John Foy & Associates uses a contingency fee arrangement. That means that if you don’t win your case, then you don’t have to pay your lawyer anything. You get a lot of value with no payment up front. And, you are significantly more likely to win your case or get an increased settlement amount if you have an experienced attorney on your side.
Why does it matter what kind of lawyer I get?
No one lawyer knows everything. Many attorneys specialize in just a few areas of the law so they can understand that particular area very well. That is why, for example, you don’t want the same attorney who made your will to help you with your personal injury case. They likely don’t have the experience, knowledge, and skill you need to present a compelling argument after an accident. That doesn’t make that person a bad lawyer! It just means you need to use them for your will and John Foy & Associates for your car accident case.
Meeting with us is the best way to determine if you have a legal claim and decide if you want to work with our team to start your lawsuit. We’d love to talk to you about your options. Fill out the form to your right or call us at 404-400-4000 to get your FREE consultation today.