In most situations, if you have been hurt at work, you will qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. These benefits help you deal with expensive medical care and provide you with weekly payments that cover a portion of your wages while you recover from your work injury. Unfortunately, some employers will try to ignore your requests for benefits even though you have a legitimate work injury. In those situations, you need a Georgia workers’ compensation attorney to help you with your claim.
When would I be entitled to workers’ compensation?
You must meet specific qualifications to get workers’ compensation benefits in Georgia. These include:
- Being an employee (instead of an independent contractor or consultant) of the employer – most people who work for Lowe’s are hired as employees
- The employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance (most employers are required by law to carry this insurance, and Lowe’s is definitely required to have workers’ compensation insurance)
- You were hurt at work or while doing work activities or you contracted an illness because of work
Because Lowe’s is a home improvement store, many of its employees are required to lift and carry heavy objects on a regular basis. That type of activity frequently leads to strains that can have long-term adverse effects on your life and may even inhibit your ability to work on the future.
Additional injuries may include things like:
- Being involved in a car accident while making deliveries
- Falling from ladders or high stocking areas
- Loading and unloading delivery trucks
- Slipping and falling on the floor in your work area
- Repetitive movement that leads to joint damage (especially in the hands, elbows, and shoulders)
to find a John Foy office near you
How do I get medical benefits in my workers’ compensation case?
Perhaps the most important benefit in any workers’ compensation case is medical care. Lowe’s will pay for your visit to the doctor to help you address any injuries related to your work injury at no cost to you. But, you must follow very specific steps to get this valuable benefit.
One of the first things that you must do is report your accident or injury to your employer. You can often do this by talking to your Lowe’s supervisor or shift manager. Be sure to notify your manager within 30 days of the accident or you may not be able to get workers’ comp benefits. If it’s an emergency, however, you should get help right away—your employer will cover emergency care no matter who you see.
Otherwise, check with Lowe’s to look for a list of pre-approved doctors in your area. They will often put this information in the break room or in another central location. If you can’t find this information, ask your supervisor for help. There should be at least six doctors for you to choose from, and one of those must be an orthopedic surgeon. Start with one of the listed doctors (an authorized treating physician), even if you might need a specialist. Your authorized treating physician will be able to give you a referral to a specialist so that Lowe’s still pays for medical care.
Get Help with Your Workers’ Comp Case
Keep in mind that you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits right away when you start your job—regardless of whether you are working full time or part-time. John Foy & Associates has over 15 years of experience helping workers get the medical care and other workers’ compensation benefits that they deserve. Let us help you too. Fill out the form to your right or call us at 404-400-4000 to get your FREE consultation today.