Because of the large number of parties involved in most bus accidents, they are more complicated than automobile accidents. Injuries and damages are often wide-ranging.
A Valdosta Bus accident attorney can ensure that you are treated as more than just a number. You have suffered and are entitled to compensation. While occurring less often than car and truck accidents, they can still cause property damage, physical injuries, anxiety, and fatalities.
Bus Accidents and Their Causes
Driver error and lax vehicle maintenance are the first places your attorney will look when investigating your accident. Many accidents are preventable if proper care is taken. Here are some potential causes of bus accidents in Valdosta:
- Driving distracted is a problem that affects many drivers. But, it can have perilous consequences when a bus driver with many passengers is counting on them to make it safely to their destinations.
- Driver error causes a large majority of accidents. Bus driving is complex and requires precision and concentration to traverse tight curves, heavy traffic, and challenging road conditions.
- The weather can be blamed for some accidents. Icy conditions and decreased visibility due to fog or rain can result in bus accidents.
- The safest drivers cannot avoid accidents when driving a defective bus or one that has not been appropriately maintained. Passengers have the reasonable expectation that the bus they are traveling in is a safe one.
- Drunk or impaired driving can cause an accident that could have been 100% preventable.
- Poorly maintained roads or those without proper signage can also be the reason an accident occurs.
- Accidents are not always the fault of the bus driver. The other cars on the road can be liable for bus accidents as well.
It is crucial to contact a Valdosta bus accident lawyer as soon as possible. Seek medical attention first, then reach out for legal help.
to find a John Foy office near you
Responsibility for a Valdosta, Georgia Bus Accident
The drivers shoulder a lot of the responsibility when a bus accident occurs. But, the city or commercial bus line might also be responsible. Commercial bus lines are responsible for hiring qualified drivers who are thoroughly trained and licensed.
They will be held accountable for putting a dangerous driver on the road if they fail to do this. If the city employs the drivers, they should be well-trained and should drive buses that are frequently inspected and maintained. The roads that the bus driver must travel to complete their routes must also be adequately maintained.
Trees or bushes should not cause visibility issues, and all roads should be marked appropriately and in good repair.
Valdosta Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 229-232-8678
You Must Complete a Medical Evaluation
Even if you don’t immediately feel injured, you must see a medical professional for an evaluation. Call 911 and check on your fellow passengers. Take care not to move them.
A doctor will assess your injuries and administer treatment if necessary. The stress of the situation can cause shock or spikes in adrenaline. The panic and chaos caused by the accident can weaken your response to injury.
By seeking immediate treatment, you can avoid more severe damages in the future. The key takeaway is to recognize potential injuries so that serious complications do not worsen. Your medical records will be vital when making a case for damages after a bus accident.
An Accounting of Possible Bus Accident Injuries
It is possible to sustain multiple injuries after a bus accident. A visit to the doctor will identify your injuries so that you can begin treating them. Here is a far-from-exhaustive list of possible injuries:
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
- Broken Bones
- Disfigurement and severe scarring
- Wounds to the flesh like cuts and bruising
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck trauma
After a bus accident, seek medical help first and next call a bus accident lawyer in Valdosta to begin recovering damages. According to the statute of limitations, you must file your climb two years after the accident. Waiting can prolong stress and suffering. The sooner you begin the process, the better.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Valdosta, call 229-232-8678
What Damages May I Seek After a Valdosta Bus Accident
A Valdosta bus accident attorney can evaluate your injuries and determine the compensation to which you are entitled. More extensive injury or damage will be eligible for a larger compensation-recovery package.
You or a loved one may be eligible for some of the following damages. These are more tangible damages and are easier to calculate.
- Property Damage This could be a laptop that a commuter had on the bus that was destroyed in the accident. Or damage outside the bus, like landscaping or fencing that is run over by the bus.
- Medical Expenses can be overwhelming after an accident. Some of the damages that one could expect reimbursement for are exams, therapies, ER bills, hospital stays, medications, surgeries, medical equipment costs, home alterations, rehabilitation, and transportation.
- Vehicle Replacement or Repair if you were not a passenger on the bus, but your vehicle was involved in the accident, the costs of replacing or fixing your vehicle will be taken into account.
- Loss of Earnings currently because of missed work due to injuries or lost income-earning opportunities in the future will be taken into account when negotiating a settlement package.
Non-economic losses may not come with direct bills that can be added up for a total, but they are equally important when it comes to securing compensation after a bus accident:
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life is hard to put a price on. But your Valdosta bus accident lawyer will help you come close.
- Loss of Consortium can also be requested. These damages are paid to the injured party’s spouse to compensate them for what they are missing out on from their partner because of the accident.
- Wrongful Death is a tragedy we all hope to avoid. But, if someone you love has been killed in a bus accident, it is a claim you should make, no matter how difficult.
- Emotional Trauma can trigger overwhelming fears after an accident. These could be due to the trauma of the accident or the financial stresses that come later.
- Pain and Suffering can be long-lasting and arduous. You deserve recompense for the effects of the accident.
Allow Us to Fight for You
If you have been involved in a bus accident, John Foy & Associates has a bus accident attorney in Valdosta who can investigate the accident, evaluate your injuries, consider the financial implications and estimate the amount of money you should recover, so they can begin fighting for you. Let The Strong Arm get you the help you need.
Call or text 229-232-8678 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form