Car accidents range from minor inconveniences to tragic, catastrophic events. They are typically expensive, often painful, and always a surprise. If you have experienced an accident, especially involving a drunk driver, having the best representation is essential to ensure your medical bills, vehicle repair costs, and personal and property damage reimbursements are taken care of in a fair and timely manner.
If you have been involved in an accident with an impaired driver, you will want to seek legal advice from a drunk driving accident lawyer in Thomasville. John Foy & Associates will be there to investigate, advise and ensure you receive the settlement to which you are entitled so that your quality of life is less compromised. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Medical Bills After an Accident with a Drunk Driver in Thomasville
Medical bills can pile up fast. Facing a stack of bills can be daunting, especially as you attempt to heal from your injuries. Questions about how they will be paid are bound to be in your thoughts.
Ambulance rides alone are incredibly expensive; $164 a mile is a hefty price to pay for a costly yet critical ride. The cost of being in an accident with an intoxicated driver at fault can become insurmountable very quickly. Here are some of the services you could be billed after a trip to the emergency room.
- Ambulance Rides become expensive very quickly.
- Diagnostic Tests such as X-rays, CT-Scans, MRIs, and bloodwork can occur in a matter of hours but will create bills that can take years to pay.
- Emergency Room Visits can be costly, depending on the extent of the injuries.
- Surgical Costs can create a significant amount of debt quickly. Many resources are tapped, such as the operating room, the surgeon, anesthesiologists, and pharmacies.
- Medication drives the cost of an accident up even more. Pain medications, muscle relaxers, and anxiety and depression medication are prescribed to help the patient cope with the mental trauma that an accident can cause.
- Specialists may be required to diagnose or treat problems that an emergency room doctor isn’t trained for or doesn’t have time to treat.
- Follow-up Appointments may be required for weeks or years. And the costs of visiting these specialists can add up fast.
- Physical Therapy is crucial, in some cases, to completely heal from injuries sustained in an accident with a drunk driver. These can be expensive and can require time away from work to attend.
- Mental Health Treatments and Therapy are often needed after a severe accident. Panic attacks, general anxiety, and even depression can accompany a reckless injury or accident caused by a drunk driver.
A skilled drunk driving accident attorney in Thomasville will work with trusted medical and financial experts to calculate your total losses.
to find a John Foy office near you
More than Just the Medical Bills
Aside from medical bills, there are plenty of other financial issues that come along with a car accident. Here are a few that should be considered when calculating what you are owed after the accident.
- Lost wages and missed work can be calculated as days you are absent from work. But, it could be more complicated if you are self-employed or if your pay is calculated in a way that is not directly tied to hours worked.
- Pain and suffering is not monetary loss but is one of the more severe consequences of an accident. Your Thomasville drunk driving accident attorney will help you determine a fair settlement.
- Punitive damages may be paid to the victim if it is found that the intoxicated driver acted egregiously and his actions led to the accident. If the driver’s blood alcohol level was well over the legal limit and driving recklessly, the judge may order him to compensate his victims monetarily as a punishment.
- Lost earning potential should be considered when deciding what to ask for in a compensation package. If you or your loved one loses the ability to continue or to pursue specific jobs because of their injuries, compensation for that loss should be included.
- Vehicle repairs or replacement may be necessary after a drunk driving crash. Keep your receipts and estimates, so your attorney knows how much to ask for when putting together a settlement package.
Thomasville Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 229-232-8678
Drunk Driving Accidents Are a Growing Problem
U.S. Department of Transportation statistics shows that drinking and driving accidents are rising. Between 2019 and 2020, accidents involving drunk drivers increased by 14%. It only makes sense that the likelihood of being involved in an accident with an alcohol-impaired driver is statistically more and more likely.
The majority of drivers who are at fault in DUI-related accidents are young adults ranging in age between 21 and 34 years old. Nationwide and in the state of Georgia, there are far more deaths of males due to driving while under the influence of alcohol. Males are involved in almost five times the number of alcohol-fueled accidents.
Around 10,000 people die on America’s roads because of drunk driving a year. And the state of Georgia is above the national average, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Sadly, this means an increased risk for drivers in Thomasville, Georgia.
Impaired Drivers and the Types of Accidents They Have
Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control(CDC) show that drivers in Georgia are ahead of the national average in alcohol-related car accidents, particularly fatalities. The thing about drunk driving accidents is that they are 100% avoidable.
Because of their lowered response time and reduced ability to react, some accidents are more common for drunk drivers. Chances are, if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident with an alcohol-impaired driver, it would be in one of the following types of accidents.
- Rear End Collisions happen because drivers may be speeding and cannot judge depth the way they could if they were sober.
- Sideswipes can occur when drivers fail to signal, weave over the traffic lanes, have lost coordination, or ignore their blind spots.
- Head-On Collisions can occur when they are already experiencing vision problems, and the lights from the other car, coming from the opposite direction, confuse them. Often they have entered the road from the wrong direction or even attempted to drive down one-way streets.
- Pedestrian Accidents happen when the driver isn’t paying attention. Their lack of focus can lead to tragic results for a person walking where a drunk driver is traveling.
- Property Damage can happen when a drunk driver runs off the road and hits other parked cars, buildings, or landscaping elements in the path of their vehicle.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving Thomasville, call 229-232-8678
Call a Thomasville Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today
Contact John Foy & Associates after you have experienced an accident with a drunk driver in the Thomasville, Georgia, area. Automobile accidents are complicated, especially when they are easily avoidable. Our Thomasville drunk driving accident lawyer wants to ensure that your quality of life is as intact as possible after such a traumatic experience.
We can help you determine what kind of settlement you should expect and your due compensation. We value our clients and are ready to help you or your loved one recover what was taken by the drunk driver who caused their accident. Help is a phone call away. Contact us today.